Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Benski View Post
    They wait for November since there are too many thoughts in October and early november. There is also less demand this early so its harder to make a profit.
    I've heard in the past that a lot of ski areas use November 1st as the start to their financial year which is why you see a lot of areas mention 11/1. There is money budgeted after that date, and not much available before that. Also when you bring staff back you want to make sure they get full time work instead of a couple days in October and then lay em off again for a little.

No idea if Sugarbush follows that financial year but it does make sense.

Looks like a quick 2" overnight up on the snow cam.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    I see they are already listing a season snowfall total of 11" in the snow report. I wonder if they plan to reset this or if they are really going to count what fell this week in their totals. Chances are it will be gone or mostly gone by next week.
    I'm not sure they should reset it. I mean it is snow that falls and it's all going to melt at some point. Killington Stowe Bolton Smuggs all have a seasonal tally going so far. Killington is open so that makes more sense, Stowe made snow from top to bottom but still I'm unsure when areas should start. I think it's better to be consistent and so if all the other areas want to start a tally then it makes sense to just go with it.

I already get the feeling Sugarbush will do well relative to the rest in terms of snowfall. That snow cam is in a pretty snowy spot, probably the snowiest location on the whole hill. So stoked for winter to start waking up and seeing that thing buried.
    Last edited by Sugarbushskier9; 10-31-2016 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarbushskier9 View Post
    I'm not sure they should reset it. I mean it is snow that falls and it's all going to melt at some point. Killington Stowe Bolton Smuggs all have a seasonal tally going so far. Killington is open so that makes more sense, Stowe made snow from top to bottom but still I'm unsure when areas should start. I think it's better to be consistent and so if all the other areas want to start a tally then it makes sense to just go with it.

I already get the feeling Sugarbush will do well relative to the rest in terms of snowfall. That snow cam is in a pretty snowy spot, probably the snowiest location on the whole hill. So stoked for winter to start waking up and seeing that thing buried.
    My take on it is that if it melts before you open...then it had 0 impact on the season and shouldn't count. Snow that falls and melts during the season at least people are able to take advantage of enjoying. K is open so I understand that. People have already had the opportunity to ski some powder there.

Meteorological snowfall measurement is first snowfall to last snowfall. But the Sugarbush measurement is for a ski area, not a NWS weather station. It should be snowfall from open to close, with the logical caveat that if it snows pre-open and remains upon opening you could count that as it benefits the ski season. But tell me this, if Sugarbush closes May 1st and has a freak 6" snowstorm in mid May (and doesn't open) should that count? No.

As for the November 1st date, I don't think it's such a literal line in the sand. I think it has more to do with answering the question " When will you start making snow? In November.". So it becomes November 1st. But many areas even with cold weather don't start until later in the month, targeting an opening either Thanksgiving or the weekend before.

Watching a time lapse of the snow melting around the snow stake is pretty fascinating.

FWIW...Snowmaking now in progress on Rim Run and Elbow at Mt Ellen

Former snow reporter here...and I can tell you that SB used to only count seasonal total from Opening Day. However, that has changed, mostly because it's the only way to compare with the other VT resorts that don't wait until their opening, either. Doesn't fully make sense to me, but we all know what matters to each of us, under the circumstances. Let it snow!

Quote Originally Posted by pinnoke View Post
    Former snow reporter here...and I can tell you that SB used to only count seasonal total from Opening Day. However, that has changed, mostly because it's the only way to compare with the other VT resorts that don't wait until their opening, either. Doesn't fully make sense to me, but we all know what matters to each of us, under the circumstances. Let it snow!

Jay Peak usually waits till opening. I heard on another forum that Stowe starts counting when snowmaking starts which was in October though not sure i understand that reasoning.. Smuggs looks like they half-ass it as they counted the first storm in October but nothing since. Everyone is different. The end goal seems to be for all areas to get the biggest number they can on the tippy top of the mountains. Still not a huge fan of the "we got 8 inches overnight!" but thatsat the Hg unload and you'll mostly be skiing through the 3-6" that fell below the very top...but we won't mention it in any communications. I love the mid mountain numbers as that's usually by what I go with to base my day off of tho rarely mentioned on the snow phone.

But it's not their fault...Killington and the southern VT areas all seem to have gone to reporting one number of snowfall (the highest). Northern ski areas though you see more ranges given like 3-6" or 8-12" etc rather than one number.

Bring on the snow. Really hopping this is the "dream season."
    Last edited by Sugarbushskier9; 11-08-2016 at 12:23 PM.