Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Snow Stake Web Cam

Is awesome! Thank you for a really useful tool. We had no snow down in the valley, but thanks to this cam, knew there was enough snow to make hiking worthwhile. Got in two powder runs Sunday that were as good , if not better, then any run from last season!

The time lapse is cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Benski View Post
    The time lapse is cool!
    Oh damn...that IS cool. Didn't notice it until you mentioned it. (I cheat and just had the direct link to the still camera frame saved as a favorite so wouldn't have noticed it for a while on my own).

Thanks for adding the time lapse. Will it eventually work on android app?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Not only is the time lapse cool, its infrared so you can see what's happening ar night. Between this and MRG's rotating infrared base area cam, you can go to sleep with the sugar plum fairies dancing in your head!

Next the mountain needs a cam pointed at the ridge from a distance. Rotating the old cam so it faces uphill Heavens Gate would be sufficient.

Need a new one. Wouldn't want to loose the view of the HG line. Helps in determining if one should head to HG or not.

Quote Originally Posted by teleo View Post
    Need a new one. Wouldn't want to loose the view of the HG line. Helps in determining if one should head to HG or not.

It is awesome! So much so it was mentioned in the btv nws forecast discussion.
    Looks like they fixed the drifting issues from last season. Anyone know if they moved it to a different location.
    Last edited by HowieT2; 10-26-2016 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    It is awesome! So much so it was mentioned in the btv nws forecast discussion.
    Looks like they fixed the drifting issues from last season. Anyone know if they moved it to a different location.
    I've been wondering whether it just hasn't been windy or whether the snow hasn't been light enough to drift or whether they actually did something. As far as I can tell, it is still in roughly the same location next to the lift shack. Even in the summer I was looking at the snow stake cam periodically and the view never changed much other than some orange fencing being in the view for a while. As of August when I was at the top hiking it was also still in the same spot. Maybe they did something along the sides of it out of view from the camera to better protect it though.

Quote Originally Posted by teleo View Post
    Agreed.

I'm not even sure that you'd have a view of the top of HG from where the current HG camera is located on the snowmaking shack. I think the trees along Downspout would block the view as I don't think the angle and height are right to make them a non-factor. You need a new camera either mounted right around the HG base terminal facing uphill or need a new camera from the LP base area facing the LP summit.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    I've been wondering whether it just hasn't been windy or whether the snow hasn't been light enough to drift or whether they actually did something. As far as I can tell, it is still in roughly the same location next to the lift shack. Even in the summer I was looking at the snow stake cam periodically and the view never changed much other than some orange fencing being in the view for a while. As of August when I was at the top hiking it was also still in the same spot. Maybe they did something along the sides of it out of view from the camera to better protect it though.
    They might have moved it into a more protected spot in the trees. I think there definitely was wind with the first snowfall. There's a noticeable difference. And where it was sited last year, there was always drifting.

I'm surprised they are not making snow with these temps to stockpile. Lots of other areas are. I know Nov 1 is their start date but temps are so good

I see they are already listing a season snowfall total of 11" in the snow report. I wonder if they plan to reset this or if they are really going to count what fell this week in their totals. Chances are it will be gone or mostly gone by next week.

i love seeing the critter tracks appear/disappear with the new snow.....
    seems to be a big rabbit living just behind the stake in the woods.
    Things are gonna happen for me, I'm Joe Dirt!

Quote Originally Posted by Dblshot View Post
    I'm surprised they are not making snow with these temps to stockpile. Lots of other areas are. I know Nov 1 is their start date but temps are so good
    They wait for November since there are too many thoughts in October and early november. There is also less demand this early so its harder to make a profit.