Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Food intel

Food intel

some new entrants into the valley food scene so would be good to share experiences.

haven't been to the new pizza place where akes den used to be, but heard some good reviews.

heard Phantom closed. not surprised.

anyone try the new thai place recently???

Was Phantom not getting good crowds? I only visited once back in December midweek. The food was excellent and very creative I thought. They told me on weekends to definitely make a reservation so this news surprised me a bit.

Blue stone looked packed the two times I drove by last weekend. I'll wait until the crowds die down a bit.

I want to hit the Thai place but was waiting to hear more on how they were doing with service. Originally heard they were quite slow in that regard but heard the food was great.

Not new places, but Peasant is excellent as always and Mad River Barn is still doing well. Couldn't believe how crowded they were 2 Friday nights ago when I went there.

Dino's new place at the old pine tree (the Ecks?) is getting closer to opening he said last weekend. No eta yet though.

I have not been to either of the new places. I was also waiting to here on the status of the new Tai place. not sure if they figured it out. Also did Dino open the new place at the Former PTP?
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I have not been to either of the new places. I was also waiting to here on the status of the new Tai place. not sure if they figured it out. Also did Dino open the new place at the Former PTP?
    The Thai place is great. I placed a take out order last Friday around 6pm and 20 minutes later it was ready when I got there. The online menu may be missing a few items. Crab Rangoons are excellent, but not on the Online Menu. I ended up calling in my order to get them. Still working out some new business issues, but it appears that time to cook a take out order has been solved.

Blue Stone - Stopped by there last week too. The food took a long time. The folks next to me were looking at their pizza that was sitting ready at the window for about 5 minutes before anyone brought it over to them. Their salad came much later after the pizza. The bar area is nice, but the taps are in your face. They serve a lot of good beer, which is why there are so many taps. However, the system is about eye level and you can't see the TV well. Most places have 1 or 2 bad seats due to taps being in the way. This place has 3 or 4 bad seats and the bar isn't that big. It would have been nice if they figured out how to put the taps on the other side, but space is limited. My food took a long time, but it was hot when served, so it wasn't waiting long. I am sure these issues will work themselves out.. The food was fantastic.

Dino's new place at the former Pine Tree Pub/Phoenix location won't be ready until June, unfortunately, according to what he said today. The sign went up the other day which said "The Reks" but in the past week or so, the R fell off, so now it says "The _eks". Think some snow/ice melted and took out the R. Guess there was A LOT of work that needed/still needs to be done to the space.

That's a shame. Last weekend he seemed optimistic that it would be soon (said floors were going in this week and then it needed something else along with an inspection). Wonder what happened. We've been teasing Dino every week saying at the rate things were going it might be ready for golf season...wasn't expecting that to be reality though!

Pretty sure I heard June. I'm sure it'll be worth the wait and I hope he is successful. Running a restaurant in the MRV seems to be quite the challenge, even after a good season like last year, let alone one like this year.

Related topic - where can a guy full growlers between SB and say Stowe? Headed up for a week 2/27

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SkiVideoGuy View Post
    Related topic - where can a guy full growlers between SB and say Stowe? Headed up for a week 2/27

dont know about north of the MRV, but if you are south on 100 in hancock there's a gas station called JDs quick stop (or something like that, east side of the road) where they fill growlers and have a good beer selection. Not joking.

We usually come up 22 and over the pass by MRG but we could come up past K then up 100. Too bad Warren Store doesn't do it. Maybe Big Picture Theatre or Flatbread could look into doing it.

Craft Beer Cellar in Waterbury is another growler fill spot.

We tried Blue Stone last weekend. We ordered a "white license plate" pizza, a burger, and Mac and Cheese and salad. All the food was good. Service was ok for our table, but we heard complaints all around us. It was pretty cold in there, most patrons had their coats on. It was 2pm , and probably 20 degrees outside, so no excuse there. The waiter turned up the gas fireplace in response. They did a nice job updating the interior.

We tried Fit to be Thaid a few weeks ago. The food was excellent. Service was ok, we had an inexperienced waitress. Luckily, only a few tables we occupied, so no issues with service.

Really hard to run a restaurant in the Valley. No business all week, then you are supposed to staff and prepare for 200+ dinners on a Sat night, all in 3 hours, and serve to people who are used to NY/Boston area levels of service. I'd rather shoot myself. If I were a restauranteur, I'd choose Waterbury or Burlington over the Valley for my location and make the commute. At least you'd have mid-week business. Restaurants barely hang on here and some don't. The Phantom is a case-in-point. Great food and decent service, but not enough steady customer base to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by ducky View Post
    Really hard to run a restaurant in the Valley. No business all week, then you are supposed to staff and prepare for 200+ dinners on a Sat night, all in 3 hours, and serve to people who are used to NY/Boston area levels of service. I'd rather shoot myself. If I were a restauranteur, I'd choose Waterbury or Burlington over the Valley for my location and make the commute. At least you'd have mid-week business. Restaurants barely hang on here and some don't. The Phantom is a case-in-point. Great food and decent service, but not enough steady customer base to survive.
    Phantom was weird. Ate there early on, food was definitely good and tasty. But I don't know whether it was the menu or what, just didn't feel like going back. Not surprised they closed.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    Phantom was weird. Ate there early on, food was definitely good and tasty. But I don't know whether it was the menu or what, just didn't feel like going back. Not surprised they closed.
    Wonder if they'd located in the Old Egan's on 17/100 if that would have made the difference in drive-by publicity and walk-in traffic. Though that building has its own problems with something like $1500/month in water bill tax (before any metered usage) from the Town to start off with.