Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 game on

Yesterday reminded me of why I own a Ski Resort. Best day of the year and it kept snowing all day. Shadyjay gave an accurate description of our plan. We are now focused on the spring trails and the goal as always is to try to ski at LP everyday through Sunday April 24th and reopen for a final weekend if possible with an end on Sunday May 1st. The depth on our snowmaking trails is very good. The area on skier right of lower Hot Shot is always difficult because the lift is so close and you don't want guns freezing it up.

More natural trails at LP will be opening today as patrol checks them.

Cold this weekend but the proper layers will allow for some great skiing and riding. Next Tuesday we are likely to see snow and some mix and possible some rain again but it turns colder fast so I think this will be a net gainer. Keep your fingers crossed.

Update from snow plan. We will be 100% open tomorrow with 14 lifts. We are going to open CR for hiking only since it is still thin but can handle hiking traffic. It will be too cold to run SB on Saturday and Sunday but we are grooming out the roads tomorrow to be prepared when the temps change. Making snow on Murphy's this afternoon and tonight and also Stein's and lower Spring Fling. After that we will get the rest of Snowball and Spring Fling and Coffee Run to prepare for spring skiing and then we are likely done. Early tomorrow will be best as temps fall through the day. We will still have torch light and fireworks tomorrow, though.

2016 game on

Today was the best sunny day of the season for me ripcord was sweet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wolftracks56; 02-12-2016 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by winjr View Post
    Update from snow plan. We will be 100% open tomorrow with 14 lifts. We are going to open CR for hiking only since it is still thin but can handle hiking traffic. It will be too cold to run SB on Saturday and Sunday but we are grooming out the roads tomorrow to be prepared when the temps change. Making snow on Murphy's this afternoon and tonight and also Stein's and lower Spring Fling. After that we will get the rest of Snowball and Spring Fling and Coffee Run to prepare for spring skiing and then we are likely done. Early tomorrow will be best as temps fall through the day. We will still have torch light and fireworks tomorrow, though.
    Get last couple of days. Wanted to share a couple of photos
    IMG_1143.jpg
    IMG_1143.jpg
    IMG_1129.jpg

Yeah, spectacular. The groomers were a little slice of heaven. Ripcord, birch run, snow ball all just about perfect. No base on natural snow trails but plenty of powder. Paradise was bare under the light powder. Og was great. Best day of the season.

C-C-C-C-Cold-ass out there today. Started the day at 6 and it has slowly dropped to -7 at the base right now. Wind picked up at around noon and made it feel even colder. Pretty good conditions up top. There is absolutely no snow under the 6 or so inches of fluff from about mid mountain down. Be careful out there.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    C-C-C-C-Cold-ass out there today. Started the day at 6 and it has slowly dropped to -7 at the base right now. Wind picked up at around noon and made it feel even colder. Pretty good conditions up top. There is absolutely no snow under the 6 or so inches of fluff from about mid mountain down. Be careful out there.
    6" from mid-mountain down? The report says 19" in the past 72 hours at mid-mountain Could it really settle that fast?

I skied before the big dump, and I thought it was pretty good all things considered. Must be pretty epic with two feet of new snow in the past few days.

Quote Originally Posted by winjr View Post
    Win a quick question. Why does the snowmaking team take mid-week days off and then blow snow all weekend? I noticed that pattern the past couple weeks. I usually read every snow report in New England because I'm obsessed like that, but a lot of the other major ski areas are saying they shut the guns off this weekend so people don't have to ski thorugh the guns. Killington makes mention of it, so does Stowe and Mount Snow. That seems like a very good plan given weekend traffic vs. midweek traffic.

I know the snow report says it is so we can be skiing into April and even May, but can't you do that mid-week? It just seems like once you don't HAVE TO make snow you should go to midweek snowwmaking.

It has been pretty windy. it could have blown around. Hey I am just reporting what I ran into down low in the woods. Nearly killed myself

Quote Originally Posted by tedwillie View Post
    Why does the snowmaking team take mid-week days off and then blow snow all weekend?
    You've got to make the snow when you can. Given most of the snowmakers have moved on to other on-mountain ventures (myself included), we're down to one night crew and one day crew. They were on for about 5 or 6 nights/days in a row so they needed a couple days off. Temps earlier this week allowed that. Now one final push before the temps give out again come Tuesday. The timing may be off but its not like we're looking at a 9k/day weekend.

As I write this, it's -14 at the base and -20 at mid/bot Heaven's Gate. Stop and say thanks to a snowmaker if ya see them. Temps like this were a constant for about a month straight last winter!

Shadyjay gave the right answer so I won't repeat. I will add that we used mostly towers on the trails during the day which allows better skiing under them. This morning it is COLD but the skiing and riding will be great. Just about to head out as the guns are coming off of Stein's and Coffee Run and going on Upper Snowball and Spring Fling. Stein's will be awesome today. No wind and sun will make it feel better than you think if you have the right clothing. Keep you fingers crossed for Tuesday!

Those who braved the cold were rewarded Lucky it wasn't super windy !!steins ,snoball,fling sick soft gunpowder all day gorgeous sunshine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by shadyjay View Post
    You've got to make the snow when you can. Given most of the snowmakers have moved on to other on-mountain ventures (myself included), we're down to one night crew and one day crew. They were on for about 5 or 6 nights/days in a row so they needed a couple days off. Temps earlier this week allowed that. Now one final push before the temps give out again come Tuesday. The timing may be off but its not like we're looking at a 9k/day weekend.

As I write this, it's -14 at the base and -20 at mid/bot Heaven's Gate. Stop and say thanks to a snowmaker if ya see them. Temps like this were a constant for about a month straight last winter!

That makes sense, thanks for the answer! Really appreciate it. I'm glad I found this forum as these are questions I'm sure others have but can't just ask management for the reason. Naturally every decision is made for a reason, so it's just nice to be informed. Can also spread the news around if anyone else is asking.

The one shift of snowmakers does make sense at this time of year to reallocate labor as I'm certain the snowmaking budget this time of year is close to zero.

I saw on another board that Stowe is going to be pretty much done with snowmaking after this week (sounded like they will fire up after Tues disaster from someone who works there), and I'd assume you guys are probably on a similar page? There's only so much money you can spend to keep pumping snow onto the slopes after it rains once every ten days or so...probably just ride it out at this point and see what Nature has in store. We get a March heatwave and I can't see many resorts surviving for long. Or at least except for a couple key routes anyway.

I keep thinking it has to snow sometime.....

Quote Originally Posted by tedwillie View Post
    I saw on another board that Stowe is going to be pretty much done with snowmaking after this week (sounded like they will fire up after Tues disaster from someone who works there), and I'd assume you guys are probably on a similar page? There's only so much money you can spend to keep pumping snow onto the slopes after it rains once every ten days or so...probably just ride it out at this point and see what Nature has in store.
    Yes, once you hit President's week, stopping snowmaking is pretty common at most resorts in the northeast. Sugarbush's plan as of a few days ago was to make some additional snow on the key spring routes (which is why they've been hitting Stein's, Spring Fling, and Coffee Run the past few days) and then that would be it. I'm still hoping we start seeing some more natural snow soon. There's still plenty of time for that to happen and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

That is not true at the places I ski at. More like the end of February/beginning of March. However that may be the reality here. Totally a call for the management. Yes lets hope for snow.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Yes, once you hit President's week, stopping snowmaking is pretty common at most resorts in the northeast. Sugarbush's plan as of a few days ago was to make some additional snow on the key spring routes (which is why they've been hitting Stein's, Spring Fling, and Coffee Run the past few days) and then that would be it. I'm still hoping we start seeing some more natural snow soon. There's still plenty of time for that to happen and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.