Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast

Thread: 2016 game on

Quote Originally Posted by Looking_for_the_Bush View Post
    Also why does it say 7 inches in the written dialog but 6" in the snow tally? These are the things that are easy to fix.
    just saw win's word posted to social media stating 6" of snow fell today... so the snow tally must be right over the written.

it also says that this is no longer the least snowiest winter in sugarbush history at 145 beating 79=80 with 138 inches.

one has to wonder if the new snow measuring spot had a big part in that. don't turn into jay peak.

with that said, can't wait to ride tomorrow!
    Last edited by Looking_for_the_Bush; 04-04-2016 at 03:46 PM.

it also says that this is no longer the least snowiest winter in sugarbush history at 145 beating 79=80 with 138 inches.

one has to wonder if the new snow measuring spot had a big part in that. don't turn into jay peak.
    This season snowfall total now needs a * next to it!

It would have been interesting to see how close the totals would be from the new and old summit snow stake locations if they were captured in parallel during the same year. I'm a little skeptical of the new location myself just from some of the drifting that was very obvious on the cam the past couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by winjr View Post
    I can verify it. One inch around 7:30 am and by time I skied there around 10:30 am at least 4 plus of light fluffy stuff. It was really nice on top of grooming. I was going to retire for the season but too much to respond to.

Our summit stake is now at top of Ripcord in a protected space by HG top terminal. First year it has been there. It was lower down on Spillsville cutover off Jester in past. Snow total is recorded in am between 6:30 and 7 am. It is updated at 1:30pm at snow plan. The increment from 6:30 am to 1:30pm counts towards tomorrow am's 24 hour total. Last week because of the winds the snow stake had a bad reading in the am and we did get up to see it in person until around noon. The snow total should have been retroactive to the am report but got inputted erroneously.

We do have a "P" when we partially groom a trail like lower Organgrinder when one section is groomed and another is not. I did not check the report the other day. Spring Road was closed not Racer's Edge. Maybe the wrong trail got marked. That usually gets picked up early if that happens.

The early trail reports list what the plan was the prior
    evening and the reported radios the groomers to see if anything changed. Patrol in the am trail checks may open or close a trail for a variety of reasons. They call in to dispatch and this is uploaded to the web which feeds the App and there can be delays but it usually feeds fairly quickly.
    Thanks for the response and the snow cam.

But that spot is not sheltered. even today with minimal wind it was completely in a drift. I understand if that's the only spot that can be reached with electric/data line, I'd rather have a snow cam than no snow cam, but its just not an accurate gauge of the summit snowfall.

This is what it should look like in a sheltered location. from Stowe.

image.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HowieT2; 04-04-2016 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    I understand if that's the only spot that can be reached with electric/data line, I'd rather have a snow cam than no snow cam, but its just not an accurate gauge of the summit snowfall.
    That's pretty much why I had assumed this was a secondary summit stake just for purposes of a cam and that they were still using the old location for the actual official measurements...

Fantastic conditions out there today all things considered. it definitely snowed and the snow looked very light and flurry so probably settled but there was about 4" in the woods off Jester where I was able to check. all in all today was like 100 other days this season...firm and fast but with just enough topping to carve a turn on the board.

giving further consideration into the snow measurments I'd definitely recommend going back to the jester and the traverse over to organgrinder spot. the snow seems to lay in there much more evenly. You could see it today just by a very basic look while riding down...and honestly i don't think it would cost the resort much extra snowfall if the idea is to find the snowiest spot on the mountain. Up at the top of Heavens Gate its borderline impossible to really get a feel for the snow accumulation except to say it snowed 1-6" depending on wind...and this wasn't a windy storm but at 4000feet on a ridgeline its always breezy and the wind seems to load the top portion of ripcord. makes for great riding but also feels a little slimy to measure whats essentially a 100-200 vertical foot drift on the east side of rhte ridge.

like howie and cd are saying, keep the snow cam purely for entertainment and take the official measurements at the old spot. no one will be angry if the snow report says 6" at jester but there's 8" at the top of ripcord because a little extra from the west side trees blew over the ridge onto the east side of the crest.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    That's pretty much why I had assumed this was a secondary summit stake just for purposes of a cam and that they were still using the old location for the actual official measurements...
    agree with you and howie on that one.
    Last edited by Looking_for_the_Bush; 04-05-2016 at 03:10 PM.

Glad winter finally decided to show up in April, NOT!

Fun couple runs this morning but the snow got sticky quick. by 10am i was having trouble getting my board to move on anything less than an expert trail lol. Ripcord under the chair was my favorite line of the day.

snow depths still look real good for a long April season on the usual suspects like ripcord/steins/spring fling.

i keep trying to just use the snow report for what it is...but Win if you are reading this you should consider mentioning the snowfall range in the written and phone report (it seems the written rerport is whats read on the snow phone) and here's why:

pulling into the mountain today i parked at LP and played the snow phone message over my car while putting my boots on. There's something that rubs me the wrong way when I hear "we picked up a silky 3 inches last night..." and there's a half to an inch of snow around the base area and most of the lower mountain. i choose to go to sugarbush years and years ago because the place has always seemed more laid back Vermont to me aside from all the development at LP (i understand why thats necessary) and in the past it always felt like an honest VT ski resort.

Recently i keep feeling like its losing some of that by the little things, like only making mention of the highest snow accum you can find on the hill. dont be afraid to say you got a dusting at the base and 3" at the summit. it feels like something killington would do to only report the highest number possible lol. just keep that in mind when thinking about what you can change for next year...its a very simple change and its more the phone message as you obviously aren't at your computer if you are calling the snow phone. Us older guys really enjoy the old school phone message and although Mark had the best reports, John does come up with some slick phrases.

anyway keep up the great work, the mountain has come a long way in on-hill experience in the past 5-6 seasons. just don't become a marketing machine only concerned with getting the most amount of people to the hill regardless of what the regulars think.

Fun couple runs this morning but the snow got sticky quick. by 10am i was having trouble getting my board to move on anything less than an expert trail lol. Ripcord under the chair was my favorite line of the day.

snow depths still look real good for a long April season on the usual suspects like ripcord/steins/spring fling.

i keep trying to just use the snow report for what it is...but Win if you are reading this you should consider mentioning the snowfall range in the written and phone report (it seems the written rerport is whats read on the snow phone) and here's why:

pulling into the mountain today i parked at LP and played the snow phone message over my car while putting my boots on. There's something that rubs me the wrong way when I hear "we picked up a silky 3 inches last night..." and there's a half to an inch of snow around the base area and most of the lower mountain. i choose to go to sugarbush years and years ago because the place has always seemed more laid back Vermont to me aside from all the development at LP (i understand why thats necessary) and in the past it always felt like an honest VT ski resort.

Recently i keep feeling like its losing some of that by the little things, like only making mention of the highest snow accum you can find on the hill. dont be afraid to say you got a dusting at the base and 3" at the summit. it feels like something killington would do to only report the highest number possible lol. just keep that in mind when thinking about what you can change for next year...its a very simple change and its more the phone message as you obviously aren't at your computer if you are calling the snow phone. Us older guys really enjoy the old school phone message and although Mark had the best reports, John does come up with some slick phrases.

anyway keep up the great work, the mountain has come a long way in on-hill experience in the past 5-6 seasons. just don't become a marketing machine only concerned with getting the most amount of people to the hill regardless of what the regulars think.
    You will see it always shows daily, 48 and 72 hour and ytd snow totals. Today you will see 1" summit and 0" elsewhere. Ytd totals are 147", 126" and 67", respectively.
    Fair point about snow phone. Some days the report gives all three and sometimes not.
    The app only has a field for one total. It is an outsourced app so not sure it can be redesigned.
    May have to build our own. My favorite yesterday was Spring Fling which I lapped several times until 1pm

The app only has a field for one total. It is an outsourced app so not sure it can be redesigned.
    May have to build our own.
    For me I rarely look at the app. I have it installed on my iPhone, but I usually still just look at the website snow report in my browser on my iPhone. I keep the snow report open as one of my windows in the browser and just refresh it whenever I want to see it.

Ytd totals are 147", 126" and 67", respectively
    are you sure this is not sugarbush's worst season ever. I doubt you have a record of where the 79/80 snow fall total was measured but unless it was the summit we haven't beaten it.

You will see it always shows daily, 48 and 72 hour and ytd snow totals. Today you will see 1" summit and 0" elsewhere. Ytd totals are 147", 126" and 67", respectively.
    Fair point about snow phone. Some days the report gives all three and sometimes not.
    May have to build our own. My favorite yesterday was Spring Fling which I lapped several times until 1pm
    I do really enjoy the app...think its one of the best in the east for ski resorts. quick access to web cams and the conditions.

Thanks for the response. i was back again today hoping for a bit more snow but what can ya do this season when it doesn't pan out.

The 1" that fell did help though it was pretty slick in a lot of spots and softer down low on Bravo.
    Last edited by Looking_for_the_Bush; 04-08-2016 at 02:21 PM.

Status update for Fri, Apr 8

1:30 PM

We've grabbed 3" at the summits with flurries today and the snow has mixed nicely with our base.
    wow...just checked the report when i got home from the mountain and i left at 2pm with maybe 1-1.5 inches of snow on heavens gate. 3" at the summits today?! is someone high?

as usual the 24 hour total just states 2" while the written says 3"...so the confusion continues on a daily basis. i might be able to be convinced of 1.5" being closer to 2" than 1", but 3" is just flat out wrong.

a co-worker of mine in montpelier was hiking at Stowe today on a closed portion of the mtn and sent this photo... Stowe's snow report says 3" on the "upper mountain" whtever that means. So if you were comparing you'd find Stowe and Sugarbush both with 3" but this looks a hell of a lot different than the Bush's "3 inches."

Win i volunteer to do the snow report if you ever need any help. will measure snow for a pass.
    Last edited by Looking_for_the_Bush; 04-08-2016 at 02:34 PM.

I do really enjoy the app...think its one of the best in the east for ski resorts. quick access to web cams and the conditions.

Thanks for the response. i was back again today hoping for a bit more snow but what can ya do this season when it doesn't pan out.

The 1" that fell did help though it was pretty slick in a lot of spots and softer down low on Bravo.
    I was at Killington a couple weeks ago. Half the trails were open so I tried using my phone with there interactive map open so i can see what was open. It was unusable. Basicly you needed to either use the pdf or the paper map and guess what is open. the sugarbush map is so much easier.