Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast

Thread: 2016 game on

Great day out there today. Organgrinder was my pick early this morning. Lapped that several times. Lower down started to soften up nicely as the day went on. Steins was the only trail not worth skiing unless you like hard icy bumps under a couple inches of snow. Good call on rescheduling the steins challenge.

Organgrinder and Ripcord skied like an icy day in December rather than a sunny day in early April. Lower Organgrinder was a mess from the top to the bottom. Snowball had a few stretches of soft snow while only the lower third of Spring Fling softened up by the time I called it a day at 1:30. Steins was loud and looked pretty bad so I didn’t even bother skiing it.

Quote Originally Posted by WWF-VT View Post
    Organgrinder and Ripcord skied like an icy day in December rather than a sunny day in early April. Lower Organgrinder was a mess from the top to the bottom. Snowball had a few stretches of soft snow while only the lower third of Spring Fling softened up by the time I called it a day at 1:30. Steins was loud and looked pretty bad so I didn’t even bother skiing it.

Ripcord and especially organ grinder were very good in the morning.
    I made the mistake of skiing steins. There was some powder but underneath was unedgeable.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    Ripcord and especially organ grinder were very good in the morning.
    I made the mistake of skiing steins. There was some powder but underneath was unedgeable.
    Yup...I started skiing a few minutes after 9 and headed right for the summit. Ripcord was first and great at the time but you could see some ice starting to get exposed each trip up the hg chair after that. OG was my second summit run and then I stuck mostly to that until I went down to the lower mountain around 11. I never experienced any ice on OG the entire time I skied it.

While spring fling was slow to soften, lower snowball was quite nice and soft. I also found skiers right on spring fling softer than the rest of the trail. I too wish I had skipped steins though. Murphy's was surprisingly nice. Probably skied that around 1230. I expected it to be icy but somehow I managed to not find much of that.

I'll have to hit steins first tomorrow after they groom it to make up for today's run. In case I don't make it up again after this weekend I can't have my last run of the season on steins be the icy one today.

yesterday was great. for real. the unreported inch or so of snow groomed into ripcord and OG just right.
    I guess they had no choice but to groom out steins.

im likely done for the season. a disappointing 28 days. lowest total in a decade.

Agreed Howie. Ripcord and OG skied really well yesterday too. Steins was chunky but at least it was skiable unlike Saturday. I'm thinking I'm probably done as well and am also at 28 days (although only 27 at sugarbush). I'd love to make it back up for a real warm sunny spring day, but just not sure if it will be doable and/or worth it.

A couple pics I took of the cord on Ripcord and OG from Sunday morning...

IMG_9383.jpg
    IMG_9394.jpg

This weekend will be the one we have been waiting for. Sunny skies and temps in the '50's and maybe 60's and good après both days.. Stein's will feature soft moguls for the challenge and we will have pizza oven and beer garden at the bottom of Stein's too.We still plan to go all next week but you never know how long things last when the Spring sun starts to do its things.

Quote Originally Posted by winjr View Post
    This weekend will be the one we have been waiting for. Sunny skies and temps in the '50's and maybe 60's and good après both days.. Stein's will feature soft moguls for the challenge and we will have pizza oven and beer garden at the bottom of Stein's too.We still plan to go all next week but you never know how long things last when the Spring sun starts to do its things.
    Band in the courtyard sat?

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    A couple pics I took of the cord on Ripcord and OG from Sunday morning...

IMG_9383.jpg
    IMG_9394.jpg
    it was sweet. sorry commentary on the season that it was one of the better weekends.

thoughts on how long upper jester and snowball are going to make it?

Will HG make it to the weekend? I recall something in the snow report last week about it getting assessed to stay open. How is the runout down lower downspout/jester?

I think the recent rain probably made a good dent in what was left on some trails and the warmth and sun over the next few days could certainly put the nail in the coffin for at least a couple of them. Too bad there aren't any good web cam angles to see more of the mountain itself. Seeing the base of the lifts is nice if you want to figure out where the crowds are, but for anything else the angles aren't too useful.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    I think the recent rain probably made a good dent in what was left on some trails and the warmth and sun over the next few days could certainly put the nail in the coffin for at least a couple of them. Too bad there aren't any good web cam angles to see more of the mountain itself. Seeing the base of the lifts is nice if you want to figure out where the crowds are, but for anything else the angles aren't too useful.
    True- i look at the Spring Fling one for coverage. I actually use the webcams on the app quite a bit for HG and CR liftlines

Quote Originally Posted by Dblshot View Post
    Will HG make it to the weekend? I recall something in the snow report last week about it getting assessed to stay open. How is the runout down lower downspout/jester?
    I was out today and specifically went up HG to scope out how the snow coverage was. The first turn of Jester is the only area that is thin. They should be able to find enough snow to keep that open through this weekend. After this weekend of sun and 60 degrees however, I can't imagine it lasting much longer.

OG and RC have excellent coverage. Downspout, Lower Jester, and Coffee Run are all deep enough and should have no problem through this weekend and potentially beyond.

I believe Lower Grinder and Murphy's will see their last days this weekend. The connection from Ailyn's to VH Traverse will likely be gone before then.

Snowball is holding up fine. Skiers left may get lost this weekend, as it is already thin, but they should be able to find enough snow to keep skiers right open.

Spring Fling is in excellent shape and will have no issues making it through the weekend. Racer's edge doesn't have the same base, but has less sun exposure and should also make it through.

Stein's is deep and should be fine for the next two weekends easy. The base area is the thinnest area on the Stein's/Coffee Run route and there is plenty of snow to push around there.

I can't look into a crystal ball and make an educated guess about May skiing/riding this year, but I think it's a safe bet to make it through the 24th based on what I saw.