Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 game on

Winter is definitely full on! Amazing what a difference a week can make. The snow that fell on Tuesday made for an incredible base - like frozen cement. With snow making going on and the new snow coming in the next 6 days I am expecting a complete transformation at the mountain. Can't wait for my first ride in the VHQ. I am sure I speak for a lot of people - so nice to be able to ski down something other than downspout when coming off bravo today!

I would say that I underestimated at 6:45. Tough to gauge with plowing going on and the wind. I would say a much better estimate is 4" right now at 8:45...

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Delaware ? View Post
    I would say that I underestimated at 6:45. Tough to gauge with plowing going on and the wind. I would say a much better estimate is 4" right now at 8:45...
    And the mtn is reporting 1". Saturday, I had at least 3" at 1500' and the mtn reported 1" at the base. This was an issue last season also.

I would rather they underreport than over report at least although it looks like the snow report shows 3-6 base to summit now.

Hardly an issue Howie. it kept the traffic down early in the day. Once the actual word got out, people would show up but only after the watchful got the goods. I like the fact that they under-report.
    Skiing at SR on Thursday thru Saturday was not disappointing. I won't bore you with the details.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Hardly an issue Howie. it kept the traffic down early in the day. Once the actual word got out, people would show up but only after the watchful got the goods. I like the fact that they under-report.
    Skiing at SR on Thursday thru Saturday was not disappointing. I won't bore you with the details.
    It is an issue to me. Its one thing to be conservative in reporting the numbers, and I'm all for that, but its quite another to be wrong so often that the reporting is unreliable. I mean, if I was up there this morning and saw the initial report, I might have hit the snooze and slept in, whereas if it was remotely accurate I'd be rushing to the mtn. More importantly, it is abundantly clear that whoever has been doing the early morning reporting the last few seasons, is just throwing a random number in the initial snow report. This is not rocket science. There should be snow stakes with rulers in wind protected spots. You look and measure. Sure there are going to be times when there is drifting and its difficult to get an accurate read, but that isnt what's going on.

I am the opposite. I see snow in the forecast or look out and see some snow on the ground, ignore the report and heard out early. More often then not it is awesome. Save the snooze for days when there is no chance for snow. Just my thoughts. I hope they never stop underreporting.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

From what I can tell, it wasn't an under reporting issue today. They updated the time stamp on the report, but didn't update the report itself. As stated before, it's been fixed.

Just looked up some other ski areas snow reports. Stowe is claiming 7-12 inches in the last 24 hours. Sugarbush has more trails open then Sunday River, Sugarloaf, Okemo, Killington and Stowe. Only Sunday River to have more acres open with 293 vs sugarbush's 258. Okemo still claims to have the most terrain open in but that appears out of date. Also I am surprised Snowball and Spring Fling are not open.

We try to report as accurately as possible and have rulers in three spots. Early reports before a patroller gets on the mountain may be estimated and then updated. Measurements are at LP because that is where dispatch is and totals can vary between the two mountains. Sometimes it is higher at ME but not always.

Today and tomorrow look very good for snowmaking but from Wednesday through Sunday they are marginal at lower elevations so we will have to see where we go next. The Valley House area should be open by Weds am or earlier. We did have one of our three pumps at the Mad River pump station ,and it has been sent our for repairs which unfortunately will take a couple of weeks. That cost us about 500 gpm.

Bravo was delayed this morning until 10:18am. We had a tension pump at the top terminal fail and had to borrow one from Slidebrook until a new one arrives in a day or so. Glad it happened on a cold Monday.

I would ask everyone's help in adhering to and spreading the word on our closed trail policy which you can find on the website:

"A first offense for skiing/riding on closed terrain will result in the loss of a season pass for a week, or the revocation of a day ticket. A second offense will result in the loss of a season pass for the season, or the revocation of another day ticket."

We have this policy for one reason - the safety of our guests and employees. I know it is tempting to duck a rope and I have been guilty of this in the past, but hazards such as waterbars exist and patrol does not believe it is safe to open. They are the sole people to make the call. I think you all know that we are one of the more aggressive mountains when it comes to opening trails so when we have a closed trail it is for good reasons. A few years before we bought the mountain there was a fatality when someone ducked a rope, and we are very mindful of that. So please help us with this.

Things are happening out there! After skiing yesterday I was thinking we are really on the cusp of getting a real season going here. A few thoughts going into the new year...

With the snow and temps this year being so elevation sensitive, I say (from my armchair of course) blow as much snow down low as possible. Gate House, Spring Fling, Lower OG, Cliffs, Cruiser, Which Way, Inverness. I know some of this is going on already but anything to get more lower terrain covered the better. Looks like w may be back up high later in the week.

Kudos to the Mtn team so far this season. It has been rough but considering the hand we were dealt this year I am happy with the days I have in so far this season. I think the decision to keep fewer trails with deeper cover paid off versus simple trail expansion. Others may disagree but that is my 2 cents.

Cant wait to give the new VH quad a ride. I will not miss having to ski down VH Traverse every time I want to ski that side of the mountain (but when I do, it will be nice to sail right though to Snowball without the traffic jam)

Also agree with the msg above. You do have to give credit to Sugarbush for what is likely the most aggressive rope drop policy around. I am as guilty as anyone around here on poaching trails but I have not felt the need to poach anything at Sugarbush for years. I did see some folks in in the woods on Sunday though.... no way we are ready for that yet. My body and equipment can wait for a bit more snow.

To the mountain crew, keep up the good work, I'll just keep skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by winjr View Post
    We try to report as accurately as possible and have rulers in three spots. Early reports before a patroller gets on the mountain may be estimated and then updated. Measurements are at LP because that is where dispatch is and totals can vary between the two mountains. Sometimes it is higher at ME but not always.

Today and tomorrow look very good for snowmaking but from Wednesday through Sunday they are marginal at lower elevations so we will have to see where we go next. The Valley House area should be open by Weds am or earlier. We did have one of our three pumps at the Mad River pump station ,and it has been sent our for repairs which unfortunately will take a couple of weeks. That cost us about 500 gpm.

Bravo was delayed this morning until 10:18am. We had a tension pump at the top terminal fail and had to borrow one from Slidebrook until a new one arrives in a day or so. Glad it happened on a cold Monday.

I would ask everyone's help in adhering to and spreading the word on our closed trail policy which you can find on the website:

"A first offense for skiing/riding on closed terrain will result in the loss of a season pass for a week, or the revocation of a day ticket. A second offense will result in the loss of a season pass for the season, or the revocation of another day ticket."

We have this policy for one reason - the safety of our guests and employees. I know it is tempting to duck a rope and I have been guilty of this in the past, but hazards such as waterbars exist and patrol does not believe it is safe to open. They are the sole people to make the call. I think you all know that we are one of the more aggressive mountains when it comes to opening trails so when we have a closed trail it is for good reasons. A few years before we bought the mountain there was a fatality when someone ducked a rope, and we are very mindful of that. So please help us with this.
    Benski and I were riding the summit lift on saturday with Adam when we saw a rope ducker hiking his way out of Looking Good. I tell my guests all the time, if a trail is closed at sugarbush, its closed for a pretty damn good reason, so you dont want to duck any ropes. Patrol does a great job opening any trail that is remotely skiable.

Looking at the forecast they might want to hit North Lynx next since it may be too warm for Racer Edge and the bottom of Gate House.

Blowing down low is the priority, but if we can't we will go high to either expand places like North Lynx or FIS or improve what we have. GMVS actually like wet snow so we can go their with marginal temps around 28-29 wetbulb but would not want to do that on other trails. Valley House chair will be inaugurated tomorrow morning at 9am, and we should have 70+ trails open. We will keep the traverse closed for one more trail to let it cure and get the equipment off it and then open it on Wednesday. The Mall will be open in the am and we will assess Twist and Moonshine to see if we can open them too.

Quote Originally Posted by Benski View Post
    Looking at the forecast they might want to hit North Lynx next since it may be too warm for Racer Edge and the bottom of Gate House.
    Benski - what forecast are you looking at? the one from NWS shows it being real cold all week.