Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 game on

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    RD the piece that you and others are ignoring is that the air is the key ingredient. The air pressure is what breaks down the water droplets into smaller droplets and also allows the cold air to do the job more efficiently. if you use less air and more water then you get wet snow. It seems to me that the new guns do make a bunch of snow. Maybe more that the old guns because of the amount of water they use. But there is a minimum amount of air that you have to use to get lighter/less wet snow. I do have experience doing this job back in college. I also have long time friends back at my old ski area that run the system at that mountain. This is not a guess. The air water mixture is checked every couple of hours at my old mountain. Now lets see how fast they recover after this thaw.
    dude, you made snow back in college and that was what, 30 years ago? there's new technology and its not just SB using these new guns so there must be some merit to them. theyre not always going to put out a perfect product and I'd bet back in the day the old guns werent perfect either. bottom line is the mtn did a pretty respectable job of making snow this season compared to its peers. They start off slow because of the inherent water limits at LP, but once mellon opened up, they were on par or better than the neighbors. and that includes killington where it was a fooking disaster for awhile.

No more snowmaking talk from me. I have said all I can. When it snows the subject with change anyways. Hawk, if you ever want to sit down and speak to those to run our snowmaking department, I would be pleased to arrange. You know my email.

So, here's an update from this morning. It rained a lot yesterday although it did start as freezing rain on the upper part of the mountain and the rain was off and on most of the day. The temperatures actually peaked around midnight and then started coming down and will do so all day. Most of the natural trail will need a foot or more to reopen as will Slidebrook. The snowmaking trails, however, have held up reasonably well. I only had a little over an hour to ski today so I only got out on LP. Spring-like buttery conditions on the lower half of the mountain and firmer up high. Tonight we will have an aggressive grooming plan and as the snow sets up they can patch the trails together well. We will be get the guns back on during the night. The exact plan will be decided in a bit at our daily snow plan, but it looks like the priorities at LP will be lower organgrinder, downspout and some other mid-mountain locations. Upper mountain trails at both ME and LP are in good shape and depth for grooming.

Looking at the forecast we do not see any near term warm-ups. A clipper system could deliver some snow Saturday and Sunday and most of the meteorologists are looking at a system that could be meaningful Monday night into Tuesday. Fingers crossed on this one.

To echo Win's report, LP lower mountain skied well - corny snow over hardback. I heard MtE not so much. Gatehouse was the best, though I did hit Upper Jester and it was carvable - Spring Fling also nice enough. People were doing laps on Steins. Frankly, it does not look much worse than a few days ago. We need snow but the hit was not too bad. I came expecting to be one and done but stayed for a couple of hours.

I would take you up on that Winn but what good would that do. They do the best with what they have and work hard at it. They will not change my opinion and I will not change theirs. Anyway I hear the message. No more snow making talk for the rest of the year from me.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

OK, I'm done. But you are wrong. I know a lot more than you would think. Someday I will show you why. Carry on.
    Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    dude, you made snow back in college and that was what, 30 years ago? there's new technology and its not just SB using these new guns so there must be some merit to them. theyre not always going to put out a perfect product and I'd bet back in the day the old guns werent perfect either. bottom line is the mtn did a pretty respectable job of making snow this season compared to its peers. They start off slow because of the inherent water limits at LP, but once mellon opened up, they were on par or better than the neighbors. and that includes killington where it was a fooking disaster for awhile.

I would take you up on that Winn but what good would that do. They do the best with what they have and work hard at it. They will not change my opinion and I will not change theirs. Anyway I hear the message. No more snow making talk for the rest of the year from me.
    Hawk - don't be such a schmuck. The owner of the mountain personally invited you to talk with his snowmaking team and you basically tell him his equipment sucks. Enough already. So you worked on a snow making crew 30 years ago,... certainly does not make you an expert on the subject.

has anyone checked out mt ellen base camp event being held on saturday nights? how has the turnout been?

Update after snow plan. Temps are coming down slower than expected so probably no snow making tonight. We will use the night to let the groomers do a lot of hard work. Winching Ripcord tonight and probably Sunrise, Organgrinder and possibly Stein's tomorrow if time allows for all of that. There was a break in the electrical line that powers the radio station at the top of Lincoln Peak and it took awhile to actually locate the spot. Since the power line runs up Ripcord the trails was closed. Organgrinder until winched is not skiiable. Cliffs is the same now but hopefully can get that open soon too.

Snowing in metropolitan Boston area with 4-8 inches expected. One of those unruly winters. I will be up tonight to ski this weekend. So far, all season, the conditions and skiing has been bettter than I expected. Hope it keeps up and that the Storm that is forming for Tuesday heads to MRV.

Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Thanks for your comments. I will take that under advisement. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by djd66 View Post
    Hawk - don't be such a schmuck. The owner of the mountain personally invited you to talk with his snowmaking team and you basically tell him his equipment sucks. Enough already. So you worked on a snow making crew 30 years ago,... certainly does not make you an expert on the subject.

OK, I'm done. But you are wrong. I know a lot more than you would think. Someday I will show you why. Carry on.
    I dont even know what Im wrong about. I do know, that you know a lot more about snow making than I do, so perhaps my ignorance explains why I dont get as bent out of shape about it as you do. I got enough to worry about with this shit crappy weather, that's the real culprit here.

Quote Originally Posted by winjr View Post
    Update after snow plan. Temps are coming down slower than expected so probably no snow making tonight. We will use the night to let the groomers do a lot of hard work. Winching Ripcord tonight and probably Sunrise, Organgrinder and possibly Stein's tomorrow if time allows for all of that. There was a break in the electrical line that powers the radio station at the top of Lincoln Peak and it took awhile to actually locate the spot. Since the power line runs up Ripcord the trails was closed. Organgrinder until winched is not skiiable. Cliffs is the same now but hopefully can get that open soon too.
    Not an easy business.

Quote Originally Posted by gostan View Post
    Snowing in metropolitan Boston area with 4-8 inches expected. One of those unruly winters. I will be up tonight to ski this weekend. So far, all season, the conditions and skiing has been bettter than I expected. Hope it keeps up and that the Storm that is forming for Tuesday heads to MRV.
    First time in about 20 years I wont be up for the superbowl. gonna give the body a rest and recharge for what hopefully is a better second half.

Today's positives: no lift lines and the runs under the guns are quite nice
    Today's negatives: sad seeing all the bare natural trails and the trails without active snowmaking are getting skied off very quickly

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Today's positives: no lift lines and the runs under the guns are quite nice
    Today's negatives: sad seeing all the bare natural trails and the trails without active snowmaking are getting skied off very quickly
    You summed it up well. 100% last week and now down to 68 trails tomorrow. Will start to move snowmaking tonight up to Organgrinder because of the forecast tonight, so that trail after being winched last night could be a great first run. Unless you want to do a freshly groomed Stein's.