Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 game on

Quote Originally Posted by winjr View Post
    Shadyjay is absolutely correct. Here is the math. The old original guns would take 400-500 cubic feet of air per minute (CFM) to make snow. With three electric compressors each putting out 6,000 CFM your could only turn on 45 guns using 400 CFM and in marginal temperatures they might put out 20-30 gallons per minute (GPM) at a constant 5 CFM. So using just one 6,000 cfm compressor we can run over a thousands guns. But we can't because our water capacity is 3,800 GPM. If we are running at really marginal temperatures like 28 wetbulb which we were this year we can have 190 guns going. When it gets colder the snologics have different stages which allows more GMP per gun. We can get up to 60-70 GPM. You can see why we only need one compressor now. In the old days ski areas like Sugarbush and most others would have to bring in supplemental diesel compressors in early season to maximize their water capacity.

We don't have all Snologics and ones like HKD and the ratniks use more air but are still a lot more efficient that the old ones. We will likely buy more snologic land guns. What we should have is a smaller compressor because we could run a 3,000 CFM a lot of the time. At ME when we needed to replace a 6,000 CFM compressor this past summer we bought two 3,000 CFM compressors. Even though we put out a lot more water then normal years, we did in at far less cost than with the old technology and in a year like this it made a huge difference.

If you are around this Sunday, we are having a party for our Snowmakers in the CRP to thank them for a great job this year.

Well done this year Win and ShadyJay!

I have been critical in the past, but I see you guys as professionals compared to some of the other clowns in the business

2016 game on

Not much left to say this winter just keeps getting worse !!heres my I didn't get to list
    1 castle rock
    2woods
    3moonshine/twist/mall
    4sunrise
    5sidecountry including woods to house
    6paradise/spills
    7no use of split board at all
    8 no trips elsewhere
    9havent been off man made base except bike trails
    10 bc tour( vt)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wolftracks56; 02-23-2016 at 04:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftracks56 View Post
    Not much left to say this winter just keeps getting worse !!heres my I didn't get to list
    1 castle rock
    2woods
    3moonshine/twist/mall
    4sunrise
    6paradise/spills
    8 no trips elsewhere
    10 bc tour( vt)

I have done better than you with have 2 runs on Castle Rock a day at greek peak and Mt. snow, but payed $40 for the mad river glen add on to my pass and did not use it.

I've done slightly better as well and am still hoping to knock off some of these in march/April. I never made it to CR and haven't been in the woods. I did ski sunrise and the moonshine/twist area earlier as well. I also did a day trip to plattekill to ski.

On a related note, has the cr lift run at all yet this year or has it only been hiking access so far? I can't remember it being open but maybe I'm just forgetting. If it hasn't been open, has there ever been a year that it didn't run at all?

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    I've done slightly better as well and am still hoping to knock off some of these in march/April. I never made it to CR and haven't been in the woods. I did ski sunrise and the moonshine/twist area earlier as well. I also did a day trip to plattekill to ski.

On a related note, has the cr lift run at all yet this year or has it only been hiking access so far? I can't remember it being open but maybe I'm just forgetting. If it hasn't been open, has there ever been a year that it didn't run at all?
    It ran for a little while.

Sorry to here this Wolftracks. It has been a rough year. Me and my wife are somewhat insane at times. We have done all of this this year including several runs down slidebrook and runs home to our condo off Village run. I can't say it was all good and in some cases it was very scary. My rock skis are pretty much cooked for good now. But sometimes you jst have to go for it.
    After this week we will be down to dirt on all the lower mountain natural trails so a snow storm of good size will be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftracks56 View Post
    1 castle rock
    2woods
    3moonshine/twist/mall
    4sunrise
    6paradise/spills
    8 no trips elsewhere
    10 bc tour( vt)

Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Unless something changes,... this could be the first year i don't break even on my pass (price/ski day is actually less than a ticket)

Sitting at $83/day right now, ugh.

...At least there's some good music in the valley this weekend. Soule Monde at the Hostel Friday and Cats Under the Stars at CR Pub Saturday.

Cat's under the Stars!!!! Shawn must be psyched. Do they have Melvin Seals with them? This is going to be the top show this year for the Castlerock.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

So far for me this year....

only natural trails I've hit are sleeper road, second thoughts, pushover chute, northway.
    only black diamonds I've hit are Upper/Lower OG, Stein's, and Waterfall
    Still haven't hit a few trails we made snow on: Ripcord, Sunrise
    Haven't been down Which Way this year (I don't think too many have)
    Haven't gone anywhere but LP/ME
    Haven't ventured anywhere near the woods
    No visits to Castlerock (except the pub )
    No trips on or in Slide Brook yet

Still holding out hope for March. It ain't over yet. Just bought some new boots (thirtytwo) and today was Day 2 on them. Great deals right now at Infinite.

I've made good use of rock skis this winter. I've trashed one pair, tearing out an edge. I'm trashing another pair now. Deep in the inventory, there's an old pair of Legend 8800's that might see rock ski action when the current pair dies. My good skis haven't seen snow yet.

Rock skis have allowed me to have a ton of fun on Paradise, Twist, Moonshine, and lower FIS. I even had a couple of fun runs on Black Diamond, which otherwise isn't my favorite for some reason. Even so, I haven't skied Rumble (my favorite trail at Sugarbush), Liftline, Lew's line, or Egans.

I had a couple of runs on Eden. That was a big disappointment. Eden has lots of thwack. If the thwack had been trimmed, it would be skiable.

I hope Sugarbush will show the woods trails some love next year and trim the underbrush. For that matter, they could show Exterminator woods some extra love.Exterminator Woods starts out nicely but degrades into a series of narrow luge runs. It would be a better run if it had consistent character from top to bottom. Although, this winter it's a disaster anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by phin View Post
    Sitting at $83/day right now, ugh.
    Same here...

Quote Originally Posted by shadyjay View Post
    Haven't been down Which Way this year (I don't think too many have)
    I was down it a few times (not lately though). It had some nice little bumps at one point. Was the weather the reason no snow was made on Which Way this year and it was left natural?

I thought a few years ago that they decided to not groom Which Way for the most part and let moguls form. In a good year, it has been a lot of fun. This season, it has been fun in spots, and an ice rink in others. I like the bumps on it, as it is not a whole lot different than Cruiser if they groom it (other than the fact that the sun hits it differently when that makes a difference).

tree lines aside, i've skied most of the on-piste. only two that i haven't skied: lift line and rumble. one of my best runs of the year was black diamond. hopefully another shot at these trails isn't too far way.

regretfully, i even attempted slidebrook a few weeks ago. ...couldnt resist, but what a shitshow.

so whats up today/tomorrow? should this storm be bookended with some snow?

Quote Originally Posted by phin View Post
    tree lines aside, i've skied most of the on-piste. only two that i haven't skied: lift line and rumble. one of my best runs of the year was black diamond. hopefully another shot at these trails isn't too far way.

regretfully, i even attempted slidebrook a few weeks ago. ...couldnt resist, but what a shitshow.

so whats up today/tomorrow? should this storm be bookended with some snow?
    Yes, its a shit sandwich. hopefully less of the shit and more of the bread