Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 game on

Looking at the snow report right now I have another "complaint"...lift hold information! In previous years whenever a lift was on hold or closed the info would be posted right at the top of the written report. Now it seems like it is never mentioned and you have to always look at the lift status page. Personally I think key information like that should be visible in the written report like it was in the past. I also miss the "patrol's picks" that used to be listed in the reports on a regular basis.

Ps...the snow stake cam is very cool even if there are some drifting issues at the moment.

I see at 1:20pm the snowfall jumped up to 7" at the summit and 3" at the base... although there were numerous morning updates stating 3" and then 4" and then the sun came out. Then at 1pm it jumped to 7"...what changed between like 9-10am when it was updated with 3-4" and 1pm when it hit 7"? Even at the base of the mountain there's no way the base area picked up an extra 2" after like 9am. If you see 3" out there at 7am, don't wait until 1pm to updated it.

I ski Sugarbush about 75 days a season but the consistency this season in the snow report seems especially low for whatever reason. Its just very jumpy in the snowfall totals. I might have made the drive from Montpelier today if I knew it was 4-7" at mid-mountain and the summit even as early as 9-10am I couldve left and been on slope before noon. And I know it didn't snow anything extra after about 9am. So that sort of inconsistency lost a skier visit today.

I'm more annoyed at myself for not going truthfully. But theres a big diff between 1-3" and 3-7". And this season Ive noticed a lot of large jumps in reported snowfall at the 1-2pm updates even when no additional snow has fallen. The site was updated for lift holds all morning, why couldn't the snowfall have been updated because anyone who looked at the weather could tell you the snowfall at 9am was the same snowfall at 1pm. An additional 3-4" didn't fall in that time so the 7" should've been known very early.

/end rant.

High winds prevented the lifts from opening at their scheduled times. I'm guessing patrol got sled-transpo'd to the summit since hiking was permitted. After HG opened and patrol began doing trail checks, they determined that they could drop the ropes on Paradise and Spills after skiing them. I guess they determined there was much more than 3" on those trails after skiing them. Had there been no wind, those ropes could have been dropped closer to 9am and the totals thus updated then. Believe me, it was gnarly up there this morning. We recorded a 70+ mph gust at top of Bravo. Then around 11, it just simply calmed right down.

Quote Originally Posted by shadyjay View Post
    High winds prevented the lifts from opening at their scheduled times. I'm guessing patrol got sled-transpo'd to the summit since hiking was permitted. After HG opened and patrol began doing trail checks, they determined that they could drop the ropes on Paradise and Spills after skiing them. I guess they determined there was much more than 3" on those trails after skiing them. Had there been no wind, those ropes could have been dropped closer to 9am and the totals thus updated then. Believe me, it was gnarly up there this morning. We recorded a 70+ mph gust at top of Bravo. Then around 11, it just simply calmed right down.
    Once again Shady is correct. The stake is skiers right of the HG shack. You can see the orange netting protecting it. With the wind early that morning I think it swept the front of the stake and piled it behind so it looked like 3". When I got up after the windhold and skied Ripcord I was about to call in and have it changed but it had already been done. At that point it was an estimate and a few who skied first tracks on Paradise
    thought it was 8-10". Whatever, it was really sweet.

So officially we have 137" ytd. Two more and we will beat the 137" of the winter of '79/'80 which was the lowest we have on record..

Think snow, in this winter a small victory would feel good.

Quote Originally Posted by winjr View Post
    Once again Shady is correct. The stake is skiers right of the HG shack. You can see the orange netting protecting it. With the wind early that morning I think it swept the front of the stake and piled it behind so it looked like 3". When I got up after the windhold and skied Ripcord I was about to call in and have it changed but it had already been done. At that point it was an estimate and a few who skied first tracks on Paradise
    thought it was 8-10". Whatever, it was really sweet.

So officially we have 137" ytd. Two more and we will beat the 137" of the winter of '79/'80 which was the lowest we have on record..

That makes sense, I know it isn't perfect it just seemed like someone up there (even to put the lift on hold I'm assuming someone goes up to the top) would've realized it earlier but I know it's not a perfect science.

But even in the base area the number jumped from 1" to 3" without any further flakes falling.

Anyway, I see another 3-7" in the last 24 hours on the report...is that including what fell prior to yesterday morning's report? Like a 36 hour total?

I'm still just pissed at myself for not going yesterday and today can't due to work meetings.
    Last edited by Looking_for_the_Bush; 03-30-2016 at 06:03 AM.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by winjr View Post

Part of me wants to set a new record. Mainly because at this point an additional few inches of snow is going to feel simply more like a slap in the face from mother nature...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Part of me wants to set a new record. Mainly because at this point an additional few inches of snow is going to feel simply more like a slap in the face from mother nature...lol.
    and the other part of you will be wearing a shit eating grin making powder turns on sunday.

Hah...if it happens I sure will be Howie!

Anyone get out today and have some beta on how the snow held up? Putting a nice spring wax on the snowboard tonight and hoping the rain holds off.

I just found this forum the other day by googling Sugarbush snow report or snow cam and looks like a great resource.

Not to continue to harp on the snow report but one last thing that bugs me is when I check the afternoon update and still see 7" of new snow in the last 24 hours. Skies have been clear for the last 24 hours or more. It was a stretch to include it all in this morning's 24 hour total (because the bulk had to have fallen overnight the previous night) but compared to the other resorts it does stand out. and if i didn't know any better i'd assume another 7" fell between yesterday afternoon and this afternoon.

This was this mornings reports of 24hr/48hr totals so you see it and excited momentarily that another surprise 7" fell cause this morning at 7am everyone else filed the snow that fell prior to 7aam wednesday in the 48 hour column.
    Sugrbush 7"/7"
    Kton 0"/5"
    Jay 1"/4"
    Stowe 1"/6
    Smugglers notch 1"/4"

So it stood out this morning but even more when the afternoon update didn't alter the snowfall. Tomorrow morning should have 7" in the 72 hour column and 4" in the 48 hour column based on the 3 reported at 7 Wednesday morning. lets see what happens.

Im sure it seems nitpicky but reading through the whole thread in the past couple days it seems other folks notice thsi little stuff too. We are obsessed and when stuck at work you have a lot of time to analyze and over-analyze every snow report east of the Mississippi lol. You find the discrepancies quickly especially when you are ocd like i am.

I know i love riding so much and its an addiction but that leads to looking at snow reports with a fine tooth comb. i wonder if people who work for the resorts have any idea how obsessive some of us are.

Quote Originally Posted by Looking_for_the_Bush View Post
    i wonder if people who work for the resorts have any idea how obsessive some of us are.
    I'm sure they do, especially since the owner of SB regularly posts here!

Quote Originally Posted by Looking_for_the_Bush View Post
    Im sure it seems nitpicky but reading through the whole thread in the past couple days it seems other folks notice thsi little stuff too. We are obsessed and when stuck at work you have a lot of time to analyze and over-analyze every snow report east of the Mississippi lol. You find the discrepancies quickly especially when you are ocd like i am.

I know i love riding so much and its an addiction but that leads to looking at snow reports with a fine tooth comb. i wonder if people who work for the resorts have any idea how obsessive some of us are.
    Oh yeah. The snow reporting and tallying has left something to be desired the last couple of seasons. It was all messed last week too, when they reported 2" in the morning another 2" in the afternoon and then the next day the 24 hour said 0 and 48 hour 2".

The snow reports in general are a pet peeve of mine...I just read some older reports from back in 2011 and they seemed so much more personal back then. Each report was unique and engaging. The reports now are somewhat boring and robotic for lack of a better way to put it.