Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 game on

Quote Originally Posted by ducky View Post
    Yes, being reported as base consolidation.
    Not s lot but some. There is some light snow in the forecast between now and the weekend. Back to some snowmaking tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by winjr View Post
    Not s lot but some. There is some light snow in the forecast between now and the weekend. Back to some snowmaking tonight.
    Man, we just can't catch a break this season. I think if I owned a ski area in VT I would be on heavy does of Prozac. If it helps Win, you and your snow making team have done a great job with the cards you have been dealt - thanks for all the hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by djd66 View Post
    Man, we just can't catch a break this season. I think if I owned a ski area in VT I would be on heavy does of Prozac. If it helps Win, you and your snow making team have done a great job with the cards you have been dealt - thanks for all the hard work.
    big big second half coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    I heard that the snow reporter was sacked after suffering serious injuries skiing.
    I have noticed that John Atkinson seems to be back to doing the snow report at least 4-5 days per week, which is definitely in our and SB's best interest. Not sure what happened to that "Tom Lyons" guy but doesn't seem to be doing it anymore. Maybe he was the one that got sacked? Also haven't heard Nadine Rowell (?) in a while but she was doing the afternoon reports for a little bit. Same with John Bleh.

Report says 2 inchs of snowfall today but I saw on another board some question about that, saying wind-blown dusting (they may have been at North though). But 2" would make a huge difference in the conditions if that's legit.that's all that frozen loose granular needs to become more enjoyable.
    Last edited by tedwillie; 01-27-2016 at 04:55 PM.

I skied last weekend and have to say it was awesome all things considered with the weather this year. There were quite a few natural snow trails that were marginal at best but I also know that so have no one to blame but myself for going down them ha. I know the SOP is to open it all on as little cover as possible, and by Saturday afternoon the crowds had done a number on some of the stuff like Moonshine and Twist which are two of my favorites.

All in all, awesome weekend and great sunny day on Sunday. Too bad the Pats lost. That was the only negative.

Quote Originally Posted by tedwillie View Post
    Too bad the Pats lost. That was the only negative.
    I suppose that depends on your perspective. Some of us were thrilled to see that!

My expectations have been sufficiently lowered. Any snow would be good at this point. Right now this is contending as that worst year in my 31 years of season passes as various mountains. It is funny to see all the difference perceptions. Some people, Stan for instance, would say this has been a great year. I can understand his positive outlook. I can't go there thou. My knees are old and cooked and skiing mostly snow making, rocky natural trails and hard icy bumps this year is taking it's toll. I hope the switch flips but not for at least a week it looks like. Actually they are saying maybe some snow this Friday? Lets hope so.

Howie, when do I get to officially call this a lean year? LOL
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    My expectations have been sufficiently lowered. Any snow would be good at this point. Right now this is contending as that worst year in my 31 years of season passes as various mountains. It is funny to see all the difference perceptions. Some people, Stan for instance, would say this has been a great year. I can understand his positive outlook. I can't go there thou. My knees are old and cooked and skiing mostly snow making, rocky natural trails and hard icy bumps this year is taking it's toll. I hope the switch flips but not for at least a week it looks like. Actually they are saying maybe some snow this Friday? Lets hope so.

it aint over till its over.
    That being said, next week looks bleaker than bleak. '06-'07 didnt turn until V-day and then it was epic.

Hawk, My take, having just returned from Utah, is that we eastern skiers have to take every step possible by expanding our 15-16 ski experience with travel to some of the western resorts that are hwving great snow this year. And hopefully eastern conditions will turn aroud later in the season. I will return to Vermont this weekend relaxed, rested and happy to have been able to ski on gobs of soft powdee. Lets see how long that peacefulu easy feeling lasts.

My long term plan has always been to eventually take a month off in the winter and rent an extended stay suite in Utah for a month of skiing.

Hope to see you all this weekend.

Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

I hear ya about the body. I was planning on giving myself a rest this weekend but looks like we have some fresh snow on saturday, so the layoff might have to wait until the following weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by gostan View Post
    Hawk, My take, having just returned from Utah, is that we eastern skiers have to take every step possible by expanding our 15-16 ski experience with travel to some of the western resorts that are hwving great snow this year. And hopefully eastern conditions will turn aroud later in the season. I will return to Vermont this weekend relaxed, rested and happy to have been able to ski on gobs of soft powdee. Lets see how long that peacefulu easy feeling lasts.

My long term plan has always been to eventually take a month off in the winter and rent an extended stay suite in Utah for a month of skiing.

Hope to see you all this weekend.
    hoping to do this for my 50th in 2 years. http://www.nonstopsnow.com/courses/6...i-camp-fernie/

I have Telluride on tap for first week in March. The pics I saw of Stan and Treeskier looked good. So jealous.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

I have Telluride on tap for first week in March. The pics I saw of Stan and Treeskier looked good. So jealous.
    IMG_1469.jpg (not sure why rotated pic...sorry) I've been as lucky as gostan and am now on my second western trip of the season...CO in December and UT right now. Deer Valley yesterday (you can see how many people I needed to share the snow with) and Powder today. BTW, SemiPro says hello...met him in the base lodge during apres beer consumption! So much snow here, with more on the way for my final two days (unless I get snowed in, for more)!

I was thinking about this and how quickly you forget how things were at this time two seasons ago. You were freaking, conditions were awful and the lifts were a mess. Definitely worse than this season. I don't know what the second half will bring, and next week is no way to get things going in the right direction. But I was expecting a slow start and iffy January, as well ups and downs temps wise. And that's what we've gotten. I was also expecting some big storms and obviously we haven't gotten squat, but all it takes is one big one and the next 3 months are prime time.

Quote Originally Posted by pinnoke View Post
    IMG_1469.jpg (not sure why rotated pic...sorry) I've been as lucky as gostan and am now on my second western trip of the season...CO in December and UT right now. Deer Valley yesterday (you can see how many people I needed to share the snow with) and Powder today. BTW, SemiPro says hello...met him in the base lodge during apres beer consumption! So much snow here, with more on the way for my final two days (unless I get snowed in, for more)!
    Pinnoke, PowMow is a real trip. We found fresh lines in the trees everywhere. I was surprised by the scacirty of skiers. But with 7000 acres I should not have. I understand that all of the areas in SLC/Eden/Ogden area are expecting heavy snow over the next few days. I would definitely hit Solitude if you have the opportunity. Although PM was great, Solitude was ourr best day (although we skied it on a Monday to avoid weekend crowds). Bring some of the white stuff back east and have a blast.
    Last edited by gostan; 01-29-2016 at 06:03 AM.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"