Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 game on

While the quantity of of trails will be going down, the quality of what we have left is really good, and we should be skiing and riding well into April. I am feeling good right now about May 1st.

Remaining trails open feature pretty much edge-to-edge coverage. Downspout, Spring Fling, Snowball->Racer's all were a lot of fun today. Also for the first time all season, I was able to ride to the right of the rock garden... first time I've been able to do that all season I think. Was nice to get a final lap on Hot Shot first thing before it got too warm.

Regarding the web cam, the snow stake and the terrain park web cams were added just a few weeks ago. Only the terrain park one was added to sugarbush.com, the snow stake as of right now is limited to only the app.

Some great views out there Saturday (which I missed) and this morning's sunrise service had some excellent weather. Hope everyone got out to enjoy the weekend and had fun!

SIDE NOTE - Still strange that skimrv.com gives these security warnings. However, I get no warnings when I use Microsoft Edge (the Windows 10 browser). Still like Chrome better though.

Skiing veddy veddy good today!

Skiing veddy veddy good today! They were out in packs, but once the pack went by, good times were had.

I agree it was sad to see Gatehouse go. The season is ending. Still got a while, tho.

PS

What happened here. Haven't checked in, in a while.
    Looks like 5 threads? Where'd everyone go?
    You will only find me where I never can be.

Just updated my iPhone app and sure enough the snow stake cam is there now. Wonder why it isn't on the website though as that would be a cool cam when it is snowing...

Quote Originally Posted by shadyjay View Post
    Remaining trails open feature pretty much edge-to-edge coverage. Downspout, Spring Fling, Snowball->Racer's all were a lot of fun today. Also for the first time all season, I was able to ride to the right of the rock garden... first time I've been able to do that all season I think. Was nice to get a final lap on Hot Shot first thing before it got too warm.

Regarding the web cam, the snow stake and the terrain park web cams were added just a few weeks ago. Only the terrain park one was added to sugarbush.com, the snow stake as of right now is limited to only the app.

Some great views out there Saturday (which I missed) and this morning's sunrise service had some excellent weather. Hope everyone got out to enjoy the weekend and had fun!

SIDE NOTE - Still strange that skimrv.com gives these security warnings. However, I get no warnings when I use Microsoft Edge (the Windows 10 browser). Still like Chrome better though.
    Very cool on the snow stake cam!

ShadyJay, would you be able to give some details as to where it is located?

Quote Originally Posted by winjr View Post
    While the quantity of of trails will be going down, the quality of what we have left is really good, and we should be skiing and riding well into April. I am feeling good right now about May 1st.
    Is this earlier than normal to go down to just Super Bravo and Heavens Gate? Or does that normally happen at the end of March?

I seem to remember riding more terrain into April but I'm sure this season's financial situation is causing for some tightening up. Such as if the snow was good and folks still coming or it was a strong season we might see another week of Gate House and NL?

Quote Originally Posted by Looking_for_the_Bush View Post
    Is this earlier than normal to go down to just Super Bravo and Heavens Gate? Or does that normally happen at the end of March?

I seem to remember riding more terrain into April but I'm sure this season's financial situation is causing for some tightening up. Such as if the snow was good and folks still coming or it was a strong season we might see another week of Gate House and NL?
    I think this is about normal. once the seasonal programs are over, there isnt much demand .

where is the snow stake located and how often is it cleared?

The closing of Gate House/North Lynx areas varies year-to-year. I've ridden those trails into the middle of April before.. same with the Rock. It depends on snow pack and demand. With the warm winter, the mindset of those who don't live on the mountain has switched to spring activities. I've seen years when we've been 100% open at LP with great conditions, post ME closing, and only a handful of people on the slopes. With the end of seasonal programs and the majority of the ski school lessons, the Gate House side is negligible. Private lessons are still available and we're keeping the carpet "on call" for the time being. But looking at the condition of some of the Gate House trails today, it wouldn't be worth it. Sleeper Chutes took a hard hit, and I can't imagine there's much left of the Hot Shot runout. The top of Lower Pushover has been "patched together" by the groomers for a couple weeks now, as has the chute down to Easy Rider.

The snow stake is in a secluded spot in the woods off Jester. A ski patroller acts as the snow checker first thing in the morning during the winter. I'd imagine he checks it, clears it off, and reports the measurements to the snow reporter. It would throw me off seeing a random sled zip up the hill past us walking down while making snow, but it was always a good sign since I knew then that the shift was almost over.

Today it was quiet but there were some really nice turns to be had, if you had the proper gear and didn't mind getting a little wet. Visibility was a bit of a challenge, though. Tomorrow could be a complete 180, weather wise.

This is a bit earlier than usual... I don't think it has anything to do with the financial situation from this rough season, more to do with the fact that they are just running out of snow on the trails at GH.

Gate House recent closing dates:
    2015 - April 12th
    2014 - April 14th
    2013 - April 14th (although Village chair stayed open until 4/21)
    2012 - March 21 (the year of the 80 degree days in March)

Quote Originally Posted by shadyjay View Post
    The closing of Gate House/North Lynx areas varies year-to-year. I've ridden those trails into the middle of April before.. same with the Rock. It depends on snow pack and demand. With the warm winter, the mindset of those who don't live on the mountain has switched to spring activities. I've seen years when we've been 100% open at LP with great conditions, post ME closing, and only a handful of people on the slopes. With the end of seasonal programs and the majority of the ski school lessons, the Gate House side is negligible. Private lessons are still available and we're keeping the carpet "on call" for the time being. But looking at the condition of some of the Gate House trails today, it wouldn't be worth it. Sleeper Chutes took a hard hit, and I can't imagine there's much left of the Hot Shot runout. The top of Lower Pushover has been "patched together" by the groomers for a couple weeks now, as has the chute down to Easy Rider.

The snow stake is in a secluded spot in the woods off Jester. A ski patroller acts as the snow checker first thing in the morning during the winter. I'd imagine he checks it, clears it off, and reports the measurements to the snow reporter. It would throw me off seeing a random sled zip up the hill past us walking down while making snow, but it was always a good sign since I knew then that the shift was almost over.

Today it was quiet but there were some really nice turns to be had, if you had the proper gear and didn't mind getting a little wet. Visibility was a bit of a challenge, though. Tomorrow could be a complete 180, weather wise.
    by secluded spot in the woods off jester, do you mean near that equipment structure off skiers right at the top of jester??? I'm trying to get what elevation its at. summit of LP is 3975' for reference.

2016 game on

ME closed a week earlier than usual this year. It is usually open through the first weekend in April. They made the decision to cut it by a week a month ago, and based on the crowds and snowpack yesterday, they timed it perfectly. They couldn't have patched Crackerjack together for another week.

Is the snow-stake visible in the snow-stake cam not in inches? On the snow report they are saying they got 3 inches overnight, yet on the snow-stake cam (http://www.sugarbush.com/webcams/snow-stake-webcam.jpg) it is covered through at least #9. Or is it a drifting problem? In which case how do they get an accurate reading?

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Is the snow-stake visible in the snow-stake cam not in inches? On the snow report they are saying they got 3 inches overnight, yet on the snow-stake cam (http://www.sugarbush.com/webcams/snow-stake-webcam.jpg) it is covered through at least #9. Or is it a drifting problem? In which case how do they get an accurate reading?
    Ok, take this with a grain of salt b cause the snow reporting situation is a pet peeve of mine, but wtf? Snow cam is great, but how the heck does it show 8" and the snow report says 3". Clearly the snow board is in a drift. But that shouldn't be. It's improperly placed. It needs to be in a wind protected spot. And do you have a snow report that is completely different than your snow board cam.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Delaware ? View Post
    ME closed a week earlier than usual this year. It is usually open through the first weekend in April. They made the decision to cut it by a week a month ago, and based on the crowds and snowpack yesterday, they timed it perfectly. They couldn't have patched Crackerjack together for another week.
    Shady and CD gave good answers. We always schedule to close ME the last Sunday in March and passes are sold with that information. Last year I extended it one week because of the early issues we had with Northridge and because the snowpack was so good. What is holding up this year are the trails at LP where a lot of snow was made and the spring sun does not strip as fast. Wish more people wanted to ski or ride this time of year but a lot just hang it up for other things no matter what the conditions.

Will check the snow stake. It is in a sheltered place behind HG chair and had been working well. The winds were furious overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by winjr View Post
    Shady and CD gave good answers. We always schedule to close ME the last Sunday in March and passes are sold with that information. Last year I extended it one week because of the early issues we had with Northridge and because the snowpack was so good. What is holding up this year are the trails at LP where a lot of snow was made and the spring sun does not strip as fast. Wish more people wanted to ski or ride this time of year but a lot just hang it up for other things no matter what the conditions.

Will check the snow stake. It is in a sheltered place behind HG chair and had been working well. The winds were furious overnight.
    Thanks, Win. Very appreciative of having the snow cam.

So its by the HG terminus. thats about 3900'. is it in the woods where the cut through to OG is or by the path to the Long TRail?