Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 game on

2016 game on

It was dumping this afternoon. I have a funny feeling about tonight. May see increased trail count starting tomorrow.

Elbow, lower elbow, lower paradise, spillsville, paradise extention, exterm, lower exterm and way back all open tomorrow according to the snow report. How much longer till we see lower jester from the top and domino chute, can't be much longer.

Elbow and connectors opened today and skied well if you're ok with some wet man made and skiing under guns (I enjoyed). I have to think Looking Good opens tomorrow. Skiing was good in the open terrain. Only issue, and it's a real safety issue, is that Mainstreet is the only way down in that area,. Why not a wider Lower Northstar? Or both - not talking much real estate. Some trails look very closed on just natural, and based on this afternoons report, some will be open tomorrow. Think Snow!

Same reason we only had Downspout for awhile. There's only so much capacity and different lines that get charged. The priority was probably getting terrain open that services lifts for increased capacity, then spreading low. Plus, even in cold temps, it's usually colder with better production at elevation.

Quote Originally Posted by sglatham View Post
    Elbow and connectors opened today and skied well if you're ok with some wet man made and skiing under guns (I enjoyed). I have to think Looking Good opens tomorrow. Skiing was good in the open terrain. Only issue, and it's a real safety issue, is that Mainstreet is the only way down in that area,. Why not a wider Lower Northstar? Or both - not talking much real estate. Some trails look very closed on just natural, and based on this afternoons report, some will be open tomorrow. Think Snow!
    Lower northstar is one of those trails that will open tomorrow.

Is the upslope machine still at it?

Becareful out there kids:
    A 40 –year-old Czech skier died in the Austrian Alps on Thursday. The Czech first collided with an 18-year-old German skier and then collided with a snow gun. He died of his injuries at the scene. It is not clear whether the Czech skier was wearing a helmet. Austrian police are investigating the case.

So who skied today? How was the 6" of new snow that fell overnight!? Was there really only 1" at the base...didn't seem like it would be so elevation dependent with cold temperatures.

Also for the regulars here, when looking at the snow report are the snowfall totals for just Lincoln Peak? Like if localized squalls hit it could be significantly different between the two mountains. Is there a good way to find out snowfall amounts at "MEllen"?

Looks like winter is here to stay!

2016 game on

Yesterday's snowfall is what we call "upslope" snow. It's very similar to lake effect, but it has different origins. Upslope snowfall is very elevation dependent because of the nature of its creation. Have a gander online to learn all the details. That's the main reason the spine of the Green Mountains gets so much snow.

As for the snow reporting, all snow reporting is done from Lincoln Peak. There is a snow stake on Jester, one at Allyn's, and one at Mt. Ops. No way to really gauge the difference between the mountains except for firsthand info.

Thanks for the great info RideDelaware! Just googled upslope AND green mountains and there is a ton of info out therehaha. That makes more sense because I was trying to figure out how temperatures below freezing would cause such a difference between base and summit snowfall. It wasn't like it was rain/snow mix at the base and all snow at the summit. But it seems like its just snow that is tied to the ridgelines.

Also thanks for the info on snowstake locations.Assuming Allyn's Lodge stake would be mid-mountain which is cool cause I've always wondered where that was. I always envisioned that to be base of Heavens Gate but not a ton of vertical between there and the base so top of Bravo makes more sense. Ill keep it in mind that the snow is only Lincoln Peak. I've been skiing at North for decades (though not as many days as I used to lately) and always thought it was a snowier mountain than South but that's all anecdotal.

For those of us that predominantly ski/ride at North, we also believe it is snowier and colder there, even if that is all hogwash...

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Delaware ? View Post
    For those of us that predominantly ski/ride at North, we also believe it is snowier and colder there, even if that is all hogwash...
    My thought was always that since North sees less people...the snow that does fall stays fresher longer! I always enjoy heading over to North on busy Saturdays to avoid crowds at LP.

There definitely can be elevation differences even more dramatic than those reported today. However, judging by the 3" I got at 1500', it appears the base number may have been underreported. It was dumping from 1:30-3:30 and again around 6. The access road and German flats were in bad shape it came down so fast and furious. Yesterday actually was moisture off Lake Ontario enhanced by the upslope machine. Either way it was most welcome.
    We skied mt Ellen. Terminator was fine. Top was sketchy and got skied up pretty quickly but there was plenty of snow. Looked like the top of bravo before the headwall was skiable also. Trails got crowded late morning, and we had gotten a lot of runs in, so we called it a day.

I wouldn't be surprised if by next Saturday most of the snowmaking trails are open. Weather permitting, could be 100% open by mlk.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Delaware ? View Post
    It's not hogwash, at least the colder part. I've seen many days in the spring where LP turns to mush while ME still has mid-winter conditions.

Currently snowing at a good clip at 1,600'. Looks to be some elevation enhanced upslope. Not much going on in the valley. Definitely more up here. Estimating 2" at 6:45.