Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Benski View Post
    When I finally get out, probably on christmas eve, I will probably do most of my runs on ripcord anyway.
    I noticed Ripcord is closed today on the trail report. No mention of why on the snow report though. It caught my eye that it said "we have challenging terrain on organgrinder" but made no mention of Ripcord. They could have said something like "Ripcord has temporarily been closed while we wait for conditions to change or more snow to be made", etc. I think there's way too little being said related to actual ski conditions in the report so far this year. There's a lot of fluff on what's going on in the area, but very little talk about the actual conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    I noticed Ripcord is closed today on the trail report. No mention of why on the snow report though. It caught my eye that it said "we have challenging terrain on organgrinder" but made no mention of Ripcord. They could have said something like "Ripcord has temporarily been closed while we wait for conditions to change or more snow to be made", etc. I think there's way too little being said related to actual ski conditions in the report so far this year. There's a lot of fluff on what's going on in the area, but very little talk about the actual conditions.
    probably because lower ripcord is impassible.

Could be too icy. One can assume it is just as icy as organ grinder but since it is steeper it is more dangerous.

I'm inclined to agree with Howie on Lower Ripcord not being skiable. While I'm not normally one to give K credit, their report this morning is much more transparent/detailed than SB's:

"The Beast had a warm, wet night, skiers and riders, leading to some operational changes this morning. Currently, the only continuous route with no walking required is Skyelark, and only advanced skiing and riding is available from the K-1 Base Area. Walking is required to get down from the Peak, North Ridge, or Snowdon areas, and the Peak Walkway is again open for downloading on the K-1 Express.

Conditions are variable today, as we kept the groomers off the hill last night to preserve snow. We expect temperatures to rise this morning, which should soften snow surfaces nicely, and the next snowmaking window could come as early as tonight, so we'll keep our fingers crossed for cold air."
    Time to pack up my car and drive up to the valley. Hopefully I can get some ok skiing in tomorrow and Friday.

Agreed. I miss when "John" was doing the report fulltime most days of the week. He knew what type of information we were looking for. There are a lot of days this season where the first two paragraphs have to do with actual weather/snow report type stuff, followed by 75% of the report being about activities and deals at restaurants and stuff.

Someone mentionedon the last page that the report is more about what's not said and thats true thisseason.

From Killington. I wonder how far we are from this point. Anyone on mountain today can give an update?

3:42 pm 12/15/15--The Beast had a warm, wet night, skiers and riders, leading to some operational changes this morning. Currently, the only continuous route with no walking required is Skyelark, and only advanced skiing and riding is available from the K-1 Base Area. Walking is required to get down from the Peak, North Ridge, or Snowdon areas, and the Peak Walkway is again open for downloading on the K-1 Express.

Conditions are variable today, as we kept the groomers off the hill last night to preserve snow. We expect temperatures to rise this morning, which should soften snow surfaces nicely, and the next snowmaking window could come as early as tonight, so we'll keep our fingers crossed for cold air.

Quote Originally Posted by tedwillie View Post
    Agreed. I miss when "John" was doing the report fulltime most days of the week. He knew what type of information we were looking for. There are a lot of days this season where the first two paragraphs have to do with actual weather/snow report type stuff, followed by 75% of the report being about activities and deals at restaurants and stuff.

Someone mentionedon the last page that the report is more about what's not said and thats true thisseason.
    When is a snow report not a snow report?
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Quote Originally Posted by tedwillie View Post
    Anyone on mountain today can give an update
    I can give one tomorrow if no one does before that. I just got up here about 30 minutes ago. 40 and light rain at the base currently. Was raining quite a bit on 100 in Rochester and Granville on my drive.

Quote Originally Posted by gostan View Post
    When is a snow report not a snow report?
    I guess when we have some snow to report on,.... it will be a snow report.

Skied till closing today, passible on all open trails, but getting thin. Currently 36 and raining 200' above the base. Let's hope the snow making window opens for a while tonight.

34 and snowing just above the base now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=mountainsider;225806]34 and snowing just above the base now.

Thanks MS - your on-location reports as often as you can are welcome and greatly appreciated - mainly when the precip is if the dry frozen type. . .

I didn't realize it had changed over until reading it here. Just looked out the window and sure enough I see snowflakes and even some snow sticking to the windshield of my neighbor's car.

opening thread 2015

Ski like a local ......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by wolftracks56; 12-16-2015 at 06:38 AM.

Lower Ripcord isn't skiable until we get some more snow there.