Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Just check the web cam and it looks like it is dumping on the upper mtn,.... VHQ was spinning too! It certainly does not feel like winter down south in MA

I was gone for a couple of days, so had not skied since Sunday. I was very pleasantly surprised by the conditions today after over 1" of rain yesterday. We lost very little base and the natural snow we are getting is going to mix in very well. The way down through lower Downspout, Lower Jester and Coffee Run has really good depth and held up well. Upper Jester, Organgrinder and Downspout while a little crunchy were in fine shape and will groom out nicely tonight especially with a couple of inches of natural snow. We are grooming all tonight. Snowmaking right now is on Ripcord. The upper part of the trail is really well covered and the lower part is starting to come in. Ripcord should be open Saturday even if we have to exit onto Downnspout before getting all the way down. The final Low energy Snologics arrived this week and have been placed on lower Ripcord along with some HKDs. The temps are really only good at higher elevation now. It is 26 wetbulb at the Summit and 29.6 at mid level. They might be better over night, but things are warming up again Friday night. If temps are not good enough to expand lower, we will dust us some more up high, but will take advantage at every opportunity to move down the mountain. At ME, GMVS starts training on Inverness tomorrow, and we are making snow on Rim Run and Elbow.

This weekend looks limited still waiting to get my first turns in just the way it is this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wolftracks56 View Post
    This weekend looks limited still waiting to get my first turns in just the way it is this year

Me too. Really doesn't feel like winter.

10 day forecast doesn't really look that promising either. Hopefully this will shift.

Howie just come up. A little skiing. A little drinking. All good. Hopefully they will have ripcord.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Hawk, we opened Ripcord this morning down to Route 21.

Nice. They say walking. is it really walking? or can you ski it like fast grass.?

Currently Route 21 is a little thin since its natural only, but when we opened it, you could ski out. Just be careful of the water bars.

Is there a specific reason that Route 21 is always roped off during the season once it is possible to ski further down Ripcord? Originally I thought maybe there was some hazard that way that made it unskiable, but since they open it early season to allow Upper Ripcord to be used, obviously that isn't the case. (Assuming I'm thinking of the right thing as being Route 21)

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Delaware ? View Post
    Currently Route 21 is a little thin since its natural only, but when we opened it, you could ski out. Just be careful of the water bars.

Are you talking about Paradise Extension back to Downspout? That is the usual route. I thought 21 was up at the bottom of Spilsville.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Are you talking about Paradise Extension back to Downspout? That is the usual route. I thought 21 was up at the bottom of Spilsville.
    That is correct Hawk, today we are open to Route 21 which does end below Spillsville. We have a rope all the way across blocking it off. The bottom of the trail still needs some more runtime with the snow guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Is there a specific reason that Route 21 is always roped off during the season once it is possible to ski further down Ripcord? Originally I thought maybe there was some hazard that way that made it unskiable, but since they open it early season to allow Upper Ripcord to be used, obviously that isn't the case. (Assuming I'm thinking of the right thing as being Route 21)
    My assumption would be that it is because they prefer to limit traffic onto Grinder, but that would be speculation.

Cd skier, you are defiantly thinking of the correct road.

Next week it looks a little warm so it looks like they will not be able to move bellow heavens gate for more than a short period of time. Not sure what they will do with only lower mountain trails to open.

Yes, that is the route. It is flatter than Paradise extension so it will hold the few inches of natural better. I skied all the way earlier today. Maybe a bit of walking tomorrow. A lot depends on the temps tonight. Our forecast show 6pm the coldest and warming up after that so we will be out of snowmaking by early morning. It is also high humidity today. We are aggressive today so the guns are running a bit moist but I think tomorrow will be a good ski day. Grooming everything but Ripcord tonight again.

Don't have it open normally because we don't want people shooting into Organgrinder when we don't need it.