Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
    Beelze, that is a tough question to answer because so much depends on the temperatures but if we had steady temps in the low 20s or lower for 10-14 days we would have most of the mountain open where snow is made. For instance, we are turning the guns on Pushover down to the Gate House lift and there is a good chance it can open on Tuesday morning. If we have the temps we can get Upper Snowball and Spring Fling open in 36-48 hours. We try to get down 2-3 feet so the trails are groomable rather than just putting less down and moving on. With the roller coaster in temperatures this year, it has proven to be a good strategy. Jester, Upper Organgrinder, Ripcord and Downspout have a lot of acreage and we likely do not have to spend a lot more time making snow on them until we get other terrain open.

Just left snow plan and here is the plan for tonight. We are grooming every open trail except Coffee Run and Ripcord and making snow on a section of Downspout and the trails from the Heaven's Gate lift down where it has gotten very thin. On the Gate House side we will be on Pushover, Sugar Bear Road, Slowepoke, First Timer and the base area. At ME we will be on NorthStar, Mainstream, Straight Shot and Base Area trying to get top to bottom. Our forecast today is calling for 5-8" on snow Monday night into Tuesday. We will plan to groom Ripcord Monday night so the fresh snow falls on top of it. It looks like Wednesday will be too warm to make snow, but it is then cooling off again sometime on Thursday into the weekend. The pattern definitely looks better.

If you are around on Tuesday we are having a snow dance party in the LP plaza area from 2-5pm with a DJ and ice bar.

Thanks for the reply and should give everyone here a better understanding.

All things considered, I have had lots of fun the last two days. Saturday was sunny with not that many people. Ripcord was....Technical but OG and Jester were good crusin especially after Ripchord. Good Groom-a-ramma. We finished the day at the deck at the top of Lincoln Peak with a sip-o-sunshine and a great view of the sunset over the Champlain. Today was actually very good. R&@n started my day but for the most part there were more no-R&@n runs then R&@n runs. I skied Ripchord. It got better every run. I am totally looking forward to the week ahead.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Fiinally, a really good night for snowmaking. We have guns running on 18 different trails at both mountains and maxing water. Looks like good temps through the day and night and we will see how long it last tomorrow, but we will be getting some of the real stuff tonight before it changes to a mix sometime tomorrow. After Wednesday it is still looking better for snowmaking again. We will be expanding terrain.

Straight up blowing water on run out to valley house. Cmon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't get it.

Downspout is an absolute disaster.

When you combine the condition of the snow surface (of which mtn. management has had little control) with the crowd, it wasn't enjoyable in the least.

Add in the presence of lessons and mini bears, and it was unbearable. So bad I called it a day after two runs.

When the snow report states "*10 trails of advanced terrain at*Lincoln Peak.*" why are the instructors taking mini bears down Downspout? During my runs this morning, the mini bears classes had a conga line crossing/blocking 2/3 of the trail. Not fun.

I get that the children's programs have to go SOMEWHERE. I get that not enough terrain is open. I DO NOT understand the decision to put the kids in harm's way on "advanced terrain".

Hopefully there will be beginner terrain open off of Gate House tomorrow.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Actually pretty simple, all lift serviced terrain funnels through deathspout. They tried to open the rest of Jester, but the warm weather stopped them. Let's hope that pushover opens soon. That will at least limit the number of beginners.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mountainsider View Post
    Actually pretty simple, all lift serviced terrain funnels through deathspout. They tried to open the rest of Jester, but the warm weather stopped them. Let's hope that pushover opens soon. That will at least limit the number of beginners.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I get it. I know there is one route down.

I'm questioning the rationale of taking a class of beginners, who are children, down "advanced terrain". When it's the only route down.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I agree. Not safe to take intermediates on downspout today. They should stay inside or hike gondolier. Downspout was not really safe for anyone. I would estimate that close to 4,000 people an hour were skiing downspout.

At Mt. Ellen. They were running gmx on diesel to save electricit but had 6 old ground guns running next to idle snow logics. Btw the old guns make just as much snow as the new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Benski View Post
    Btw the old guns make just as much snow as the new ones.
    More, which is the reason they ran them.

That's the problem when you don't get top to bottom sking with a couple ways down. When other mountains that SB wants to compete with can do it so should they. I understand mamgment can't control the weather but this is ridiculous that you can only ski heavens gate at this point. They need to fix this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by SurfBoy View Post
    That's the problem when you don't get top to bottom sking with a couple ways down. When other mountains that SB wants to compete with can do it so should they. I understand mamgment can't control the weather but this is ridiculous that you can only ski heavens gate at this point. They need to fix this problem.
    Dude - what planet have you been on during the month of December? It was 65 degrees Christmas Eve! It has not been cold enough to blow snow anywhere. I have no skied this week,... But one thing I can tell you for sure - it is a shit show at every ski area in New England.

Quote Originally Posted by djd66 View Post
    Dude - what planet have you been on during the month of December? It was 65 degrees Christmas Eve! It has not been cold enough to blow snow anywhere. I have no skied this week,... But one thing I can tell you for sure - it is a shit show at every ski area in New England.
    Not exactly 100% accurate. Even with the weather the way it is, Killington, Sunday River, Sugarloaf and others have resurfaced and even expanded during this period. I think we all just have to face the reality. Sugarbush will never have the type of snow making system that will power through bad weather. Not until the philosophy changes, serious money is committed and the infrastructure is totally replaced and upgraded. Personally I have come to the understanding that this management has a pretty set plan and a snowmaking expansion is not in the cards. I totally appreciate all that has been done. The place really has transformed. I have set my expectations now and can see past all this. All this means is more road trips until it snows. There is really no other way.

Tomorrow the snow will fall and maybe this will be the turning point. Who knows.
    Last edited by Hawk; 12-28-2015 at 06:41 PM.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by SurfBoy View Post
    Maybe some other areas have more ways down open, but in terms of miles and acreage even K with their snowmaking system barely has much more open than SB. The problem is that at SB to get multiple ways open below Allyn's requires a lot of terrain to be covered with snow (and cold temps at low elevations which simply haven't existed enough)...

Give us a break guys! You have no clue what we have been dealing with and what a transition day like this is like. We are maxing water to get resurfaced and to expand. When temps are high and fall and you were skiing over dirt you have to do something which make the short term less than ideal but set things up well. It would be ideal not to only have Downspout but that was not possible. Our goal is to get GH open tomorrow and top to bottom at ME. Check in the am!