Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Not sure how many people follow this blog, but if Josh is right, we're going to have crappy weather through the remainder of the month
    http://madriverglenweather.blogspot.com/
    Yep, I follow this like (I am guessing) most people on this forum. To quote Josh,... (This says it all) "this pretty much cements the month certainly as one of the worst December's I can remember and quite possibly one of the worst months of skiing in the east I can remember."

It is definitely a strange winter. i still have not worn a winter jacket. XMAS vaca up there seems like it may really suck. What I am hoping for is things usually seem to average out in the end. That being said - maybe we will have a huge Jan, Feb + March!

opening thread 2015

It's largely a judgment call. When SB grooms, they want to do it right. When it's warm and you groom, you leave a ton of ruts and divots. Regardless of what you think, even those mountains that do it every night, even with warm weather, have less than desirable groomed conditions. It's just reality.

Furthermore, much of SBs terrain, even downspout, is steeper than other mountains. That makes it tough to prevent the groomer from digging deep and getting stuck which makes even bigger issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ride Delaware ?; 12-15-2015 at 12:29 AM.

My understanding is it has to do with snow preservation. If you don't groom the layer of snow exposed to the snow protects the rest of the base. If you groom the warms effects deeper Layers of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Delaware ? View Post
    It's largely a judgment call. When SB grooms, they want to do it right. When it's warm and you groom, you leave a ton of ruts and divots. Regardless of what you think, even those mountings that do it every night, even with warm weather, have less than desirable groomed conditions. It's just reality.

Furthermore, much of SBs terrain, even downspout, is steeper than other mountains. That makes it tough to prevent the groomer from digging deep and getting stuck which makes even bigger issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's not entirely true...yes grooming in warm weather can lead to uneven corduroy but that's a heck of a lot more skiable than rock hard day-old mashed potatoes.

Goomers can get stuck climbing, but they can climb fairly steep terrain (maybe not Ripcord or Organgrinder) but Downspout is no problem. Same for Jester. These aren't any steeper than the intermediate/advanced terrain that Killington grooms on a nightly basis. When its warm they will limit grooming, but they know if you want to provide consistency for their skiers, they need to groom something.

I just think, regardless of the weather, a resort of Sugarbush's caliber (or what they are trying to be) should have at least one groomed route down even if its just half a groom or something. You need a bail out for when it does set-up, and even at above-freezing temps it can set-up as it gets cooled from below.

However this weather is about as bad as it gets. This isn't normal ski area operations discussions, this is more of how to survive the next couple weeks based on Josh Fox's column.

Yup.Like the guy in April breaking open his snowbanks to get them to melt faster as I understand it. But I mean, given the temps that night, at least keep one groomer on shift in case he has to go out. I get saving money, but what itcosts one or two day tickets to keep a groomer operator on property overnight incase it does setup and he can just hop in and go make a couple passes.

Fox has been wrong before, plenty of times. Here's to more of that!

I figured many here probably read his blog and I'm hoping this is one of those times he's wrong. It just doesn't look good from any forecasts I've seen though so far. I'll probably drive back up tomorrow morning until Friday, but I'm not at all happy about what I see in the forecast for Thursday right now. I'm hoping the same thing djd is with us making up for it later on...

In general, when we get it, the west doesn't - of the 30 years I've traveled out west - last year was one of only two or three that I didn't go - they had little or no snow - some resorts in Tahoe closed mid- Feb just to cut costs since no customers were showing up. Thiis year they are getting pounded.

El Nino - shift for Jan to colder temps in NE - my oldest daughter lives 45 mins from Mt Hood - buried and snow predicted all week: http://www.timberlinelodge.com/webcams/

Just the way it is - won't last forever - makes us grateful for when it does dump.

From reeding Josh Fox it sound like other than rim run and elbow we are stuck with the current trail selection till around new years. I suspect they will have to spend that cold snap this weekend resurfacing to prepare for the thaw josh fox is predicting.

Hoping for some good mountain biking in the valley for christmas or a change in forecast.

Quote Originally Posted by Benski View Post
    From reeding Josh Fox it sound like other than rim run and elbow we are stuck with the current trail selection till around new years. I suspect they will have to spend that cold snap this weekend resurfacing to prepare for the thaw josh fox is predicting.

Hoping for some good mountain biking in the valley for christmas or a change in forecast.
    If Josh is correct along with other long range forecasts you will be safer mountain biking. During the break with this limited terrain open it will be a zoo and that is being polite.

Quote Originally Posted by angler View Post
    If Josh is correct along with other long range forecasts you will be safer mountain biking. During the break with this limited terrain open it will be a zoo and that is being polite.
    I can imagine 1 hour waits for heavens gate between Christmas and New Years. I feel like mountain biking when it is below freezing could lead to some dangerous slipping.

I'm thinking I will have to grab a few extra "handles" of brown water at the NH State liquor store for that week!

I can imagine 1 hour waits for heavens gate between Christmas and New Years. I feel like mountain biking when it is below freezing could lead to some dangerous slipping.
    I can imagine people flying down deathspout out of control and taking people out like bowling pins. I think I would rather slip on a mountain bike given the choice. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by angler View Post
    I can imagine people flying down deathspout out of control and taking people out like bowling pins. I think I would rather slip on a mountain bike given the choice. LOL
    I would say you are much more likely to get hurt mountain biking on slick terrain than skiing downspout with 200 people. When I finally get out, probably on christmas eve, I will probably do most of my runs on ripcord anyway.

Either way it's not what we were hoping for. It's a bummer that there is a new lift in and it's almost the end of December and we have not experienced it.