Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    I'm wondering if the plan is to put another 24 hours on upper Jester then move those to upper Grinder while keeping the guns on Downspout down to HG. Downspout to HG missed out on that first cold stretch that Jester got love, so it probably needs some more time, especially with the steepness and width.

Open with Jester and grinder, then move the guns downhill to get us into the base when the cold really hits next week?

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Delaware ? View Post
    I'm wondering if the plan is to put another 24 hours on upper Jester then move those to upper Grinder while keeping the guns on Downspout down to HG. Downspout to HG missed out on that first cold stretch that Jester got love, so it probably needs some more time, especially with the steepness and width.

Open with Jester and grinder, then move the guns downhill to get us into the base when the cold really hits next week?
    That is generally the plan because the temps are up high. Length of time on jester will depend on how warm and amount of r*in but also what the snowmaking philosophy is this year. It has been to pound a trail for a week and move everything off to pound the next one. Maybe with more towers they will dust and run when the season gets cranked up.

After getting Lower Downspout- Gondolier to Bravo so no downloading, it is Lower Grinder then fill in Lower Jester for a blue route. Then Murphy's and Birdland. If temps are bad, up to Ripcord.

First Time, Pushover EZ Rider go as soon as temps allow while blowing the main mountain. Gotta get the greens in.

As much as Snowball Spring Fling would great to have earlier and use the new lift I think the way it works the best to start spreading the load out from Bravo. Those take while especially Snowball.

Praying for cold and snow. You never know when something might pop up.....

What about lower jester to gondolier. Last year they hit middle grinder and lower jester at the same time and opened them in only 3 days so I think it is possible. It would be a much better offering.

Quote Originally Posted by Benski View Post
    What about lower jester to gondolier. Last year they hit middle grinder and lower jester at the same time and opened them in only 3 days so I think it is possible. It would be a much better offering.
    They did that because of the delayed opening with HG. They knew they wouldn't have HG for the season opening, so they blew that to get two runs open down low. When HG ran, they already had Jester and OG good to go up top. With limited snowmaking thus far this season, I have to imagine they will blow that after they finish downspout to lower jester. The normal opening run allows for more lower level skiers and riders to enjoy than lower grinder would.

I forgot Domino to get to Lower Grinder. I didn't know there was a Middle Grinder, I call everything from the flats to Gondolier Lower Grinder. I think we are saying the same thing. just need the temps.

They did that because of the delayed opening with HG. They knew they wouldn't have HG for the season opening, so they blew that to get two runs open down low. When HG ran, they already had Jester and OG good to go up top. With limited snowmaking thus far this season, I have to imagine they will blow that after they finish downspout to lower jester. The normal opening run allows for more lower level skiers and riders to enjoy than lower grinder would.
    The point is they can make this change without postponing opening top to bottom and lower jester is a lot better than downspout>lower downspout

Quote Originally Posted by Benski View Post
    The point is they can make this change without postponing opening top to bottom and lower jester is a lot better than downspout>lower downspout
    I would agree, but domino chute/jester isn't set up well to handle the traffic considering the narrow width of those trails.

Furthermore, the normal setup doesn't require them to go to the top in order for them to get out at the end of the day. If OG is open, then you must ride up unless Grinder flats is open. Since Grinder flats hardly gets any snowmaking love, and likely won't be open on natural by opening day, it just makes more sense to keep lower downspout/jester as the lower mountain run.

I think you guys are counting your snow before its hatched. Lots of warm and wet coming. I will see what they have first hand this weekend and post a report.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I think you guys are counting your snow before its hatched. Lots of warm and wet coming. I will see what they have first hand this weekend and post a report.
    I wouldn't say two days is lots of warm, but there's plenty of wet coming...

Quote Originally Posted by Dblshot View Post
    As much as Snowball Spring Fling would great to have earlier and use the new lift I think the way it works the best to start spreading the load out from Bravo. Those take while especially Snowball.
    The way it worked in the past isn't necessarily the way things will be done now. It was mentioned at some point here recently that the plan is to open Snowball/Spring Fling as early as possible this year. With the snow-making pipe upgrades there last year, they can actually cover these trails very quickly. I still think Lower Downspout to Gondolier should be first on the lower mountain as it makes more sense logistically and I would think requires less snow to open, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Snowball/Spring Fling come online second on the lower half of the mountain.

I wouldn't say two days is lots of warm, but there's plenty of wet coming...
    They officially announced they don't plan to open this weekend and are now shooting for Thanksgiving. Let's see if the weather cooperates for that, but I won't be able to make it up until probably the 2nd week in December now.
    Last edited by cdskier; 11-17-2015 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I will be up this weekend. I have a bunch of things to do. But I do not expect to be skiing. "I heard it through the Grapevine" that the mountain will not be open until Thanksgiving Day. Stowe has already postponed its opening from this weekend until Wednesday, November 25th.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

I would agree, but domino chute/jester isn't set up well to handle the traffic considering the narrow width of those trails.

Furthermore, the normal setup doesn't require them to go to the top in order for them to get out at the end of the day. If OG is open, then you must ride up unless Grinder flats is open. Since Grinder flats hardly gets any snowmaking love, and likely won't be open on natural by opening day, it just makes more sense to keep lower downspout/jester as the lower mountain run.
    lower downspout is just as narrow and the worse bottleneck is downspout so the anything that gets people around downspout would be positive for crowds. Good point about organ grinder though.

There is no "Middle Grinder". There is a "Middle Jester", though its not on the trail maps/online. It is kinda deceiving when the trail report early on says Downspout, Lower Downspout, and Lower Jester is open. Generally, if Domino Chute is open, then all of Lower Jester will be open. Lower Jester "should" be shown as "partially open" on the trail reports when it is early on and is the only route down.

Now last year, we were able to open Domino Chute/Middle Jester AND Lower OG for opening day, because of HG not being ready. It was also a LOT colder this time last year.

I'd guess once we get down to HG covered, the next step will either be to get to the base via Lower DS/Lower Jester/Coffee Run OR go to Snowball/Spring Fling (not VHT). The latter will allow the new lift to open. All depends on temps and whether we're ready to pull the gear off Jester to focus on the lower route. SB/Fling is all towers, so its ready to go as is.

I realize that they are saying that they upgraded and have new equipment that should perhaps make things better. I just would not get my hopes up that it will changes things by leaps and bounds. With the current weather and the forecast it looks like a thanksgiving opening with just jester and downspout with down loading is what we will have. Either way I am skiing this weekend and next. I can't stand not being on snow. Hoping to be pleasantly surprised.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!