Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by wolftracks56 View Post
    Attachment 260

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That guy on the right is one awesome snowmaker
    Last edited by shadyjay; 11-15-2015 at 08:57 PM.

opening thread 2015

I'm guessing the guns will be on tonight and tomorrow night? Looks like temps are already decent at elevation?

Looks like Stowe was able to go around the clock up top today. If the temps are accurate on the website, I think SB had a good shot at that too. Should be some good production tonight with temps in the low 20s at the base.

Win, Shady, somebody! Any snowmaking update? Seems cold has hung around a bit longer than forecasted?

Quote Originally Posted by sglatham View Post
    Win, Shady, somebody! Any snowmaking update? Seems cold has hung around a bit longer than forecasted?
    We were able to make some good snow at Lincoln Peak from Friday night through Saturday night, with the day crew shutting down on Sunday. It was too warm Sunday night to make so we got called off. Guessing some repairs were the target today before fire-up. I'm not scheduled in again til later in the week, so decided to spend some time in the flatlands, seeing family and such. Hopefully we'll be able to push our way down Downspout soon and get to HG at least, if not further!

Thanks for the update shady. I'm assuming they will get below Allyn's tonight...

Quote Originally Posted by shadyjay View Post
    We were able to make some good snow at Lincoln Peak from Friday night through Saturday night, with the day crew shutting down on Sunday. It was too warm Sunday night to make so we got called off. Guessing some repairs were the target today before fire-up. I'm not scheduled in again til later in the week, so decided to spend some time in the flatlands, seeing family and such. Hopefully we'll be able to push our way down Downspout soon and get to HG at least, if not further!
    Sound like they could open!!

Historically it takes them up to a week of cold temps day and night to get open. They do not like to open with partial coverage. They like to have wall to wall so I would bet that a day or two here and there like we have had will not get them open. I will be up this weekend and will report back. Based on the two week weather I will bet that we will not see opening until after Thanksgiving.

That said, Killington and Sunday River are on line and maybe others. I am skiing somewhere this weekend.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

November 17, 2012. What a difference 3 years makes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Historically isn't relevant with the new guns. We can move a lot faster now. Last night we ran all the way down Upper Jester and Downspout to Heaven's Gate and also had 12 guns on Upper Grinder. 92 guns and towers maxing water.
    However, looking at the forecast this morning we will have to be off today and tonight looks marginal and then it is warming up again Weds-Fri. Weekend is very unlikely unless the forecast is wrong. Hopefully we keep what we have so another couple of days with good temps could make for a nice Thanksgiving.

I was hoping you would say that. I only know what I saw in the past. If the improvements impact the output like you are saying and the temps cooperate then we should be skiing. I hope so because I don't really want to spend the extra money to ski. I just want to ski! Good luck
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

opening thread 2015

I think we are going to see Sugarbush open on Thanksgiving with some downloading. Looks like temps really start to cooperate after Sunday, but with the capacity maxed last night, and forecasted lows at the base that week around 23/24, I am betting they will concentrate on upper jester and grinder before jumping the guns down low with more marginal conditions. If the temps drop though, things could change.

A couple of the Mountain team just skied Jester and Downspout to Heaven's gate. A lot was in very good shape with good depth on the majority of the trails but not enough everywhere all the way to open and make it enjoyable. A good 24 hours of low 20's would likely make it work, but we don't see that before the weekend. Some rain in the forecast too. We may have a short window again tonight but that is not certain right now. The weekend does look like we have another longer window and hopefully next week will stay cooler. At this point I will say that Thanksgiving is the probable opening but we will have a better call Sunday night.

If you are around come to the Big Kicker at Lareau/Flatbread on Saturday evening.

Think cold and snow!

Thanks for the updates. Sounds promising for Thanksgiving!!! Works for me.

Thanks for the update(s) Win. Great to hear of the capacity increase from the new guns. Jester to downspout down to HG, and a dozen on grinder, is a lot different from what I recall a few years ago! Lets hope this weekends cold is deep and long. And maybe a storm for good measure??