Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    If the weather doesn't cooperate for opening November 21, then I probably won't be able to get up there until the 2nd week of December.
    The models are obviously a crapshoot this far out, but I would say that you should really ramp up your snow dancing...

I blame howieT2. Someone tricked him in to believing a prayer from r@#$ is actually a prayer for snow. He as been spreading this false rumor for years.

Well according to Facebook, Snowmaking has begun this morning. Seems a bit surprising.

I suspect it's a test. No way that show makes it to opening day and when they finally get a window and are scrambling to open the last thing they want to happen is find a problem that could have been addressed weeks ago.

I agree this looks more like a test, combined with a little marketing psych. Too warm for too long this week IMHO for anything but huge whales to survive and I doubt they can get that down during this window. But there continue to be indications that things cool down starting this weekend and while it doesn't lock in it does look like multiple snowmaking Windows with shorter, less anomalous warm ups, going into Thanksgiving. Might be tough to make 21 though.

Picture I saw this morning showed them blowing Organgrinder & I think Jester.

I don't think it is a test, looking at the forecast there is definite windows to blow snow this week!!! Have to think positive!!!!

They were blowing Rim Run and Elbow all day today too!!

If they were blowing trails all day, then I'm thinking they think the snow will stick around and not all melt (or at least that there's a chance it will make it). I wish they had some better webcam views showing more of the mountain.

Is North's opening earlier in the season this year? If it's the typical December 21st ish date, it seems awfully early to start blowing on Rim Run and Elbow...

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Delaware ? View Post
    Is North's opening earlier in the season this year? If it's the typical December 21st ish date, it seems awfully early to start blowing on Rim Run and Elbow...
    They usually start both mountains at the same time. They tend to make snow for longer periods of time at mount Ellen and have a base down on all or most snowmaking routes by opening day for mount Ellen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Delaware ? View Post
    This pic was from 11/8/14 (stolen from a famous groomer @ ME). Too warm for lower elevations, maybe they are blowing on top for GMVS and a base for opening day?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Inverness is definitely for GMVS, but the others are for the public...

Snowmaking kicked off this past Saturday night at both Lincoln Peak and Mt Ellen. Once again, my crew were the ones to fire up the first guns, starting just after midnight Sat night/Sun morn. Jester and Organgrinder, down to roughly the last set of curves on Jester before Allyn's Traverse. Pretty wet but good for a base, and a good test as well. We were also, unfortunately, the first crew to shut down, doing so at about 5am Monday AM. We have new "land guns" which have replaced the old ratnicks, so when temps are right, we should be able to run one continuous loop from the summit down to (at least) Heaven's Gate. The new land guns use very little air. But air or no, the temps just aren't low enough yet.

Over at Mt Ellen, I believe they fired up some of Panorama, Rim Run, and Elbow. Temps were too warm down low to blow on Inverness, so they stayed up high.

I'll be posting all my snowmaking shots here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/shadyj...7660257834278/

Think COLD and SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by shadyjay; 11-09-2015 at 10:58 PM.

Even though we don't open ME until December, we start snowmaking on both mountains after November 1st whenever possible. If temps allow we will focus on Inverness first so GMVS can start training there after Thanksgiving. Inverness is 25 acres so it takes a lot of snow to give it the depth needed to set gates. If temps are not good we will make up high as we did last weekend. As Shady Jay said the temps were marginal but it begins to build a base, test the equipment and get new staff trained. The new land guns will make a big difference too on trails where towers do not work. Looks like we may have another window this weekend up high.