Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233
    Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    Happy and healthy new year to you and everyone. Get well soon.
    It'll definitely be better tomorrow. With gatehouse opened, the kids will be over there so they can open gondolier. Coffe run today was something out of ski resort death race. And I would think they groom those whales. Hopefully heavens gate will be running too.
    Unfortunately temps are such that they won't get as good production as they did last night.
    And if Mount Ellen is open top to bottom as reported on the Snow Report that is likely going to be my choice this morning.

Howie, alao thx for the kind wishes. A major change in treatment has my mojo back. I will likely always be on some treatment.

Everybody stay safe out there today. & have fun.
    Last edited by gostan; 12-30-2015 at 07:28 AM.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

A couple of snowmaking questions if someone can indulge me.

With temps in mid 20's last night, why no guns on? I know it's humid, but mid 20's should still work?

What is the plan once colder/drier air moves in Thursday night? Snowball to Spring Fling? How close is Elbow at Ellen?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sglatham View Post
    A couple of snowmaking questions if someone can indulge me.

With temps in mid 20's last night, why no guns on? I know it's humid, but mid 20's should still work?

What is the plan once colder/drier air moves in Thursday night? Snowball to Spring Fling? How close is Elbow at Ellen?

Thanks
    When it comes to snowmaking, many times they will have to base decisions off of forecasted temps, not actual temps. If it doesn't appear that temps will be conducive, they may not schedule the correct personnel, or more likely they won't charge the snowmaking lines. The snowmaking lines take a couple hours to charge and they often don't like to leave the pipes under pressure when they aren't using them. Since temps don't look conducive today and part of tomorrow, my guess is that they drained the lines. Could be way off base however.

From whenever I looked at the temps on the website last night, they looked marginal at best. Even at around 1am I think some of the temps were upper 20s if I remember correctly. (I'm assuming the LP summit temp of 17 is "stuck" as it hasn't changed in over 24 hours now).

The themometer is stuck. The temps were too high to make snow. Depending on how the temps actually come in we will try to go to Lower Organgrinder, Middle Jester and Snowball/Fling at the same time. If we had temps like the other night we can do that. Over at ME we would like to get Elbow and if the temps are good down low get back to Inverness for GMVS. Here are some interesting open acreage facts from this morning: Okemo - 160 acres, Sugarbush - 140 acres, Stowe - 120 acres, Killington - 97, Stratton - 92, Mount Snow - 81. The most in the NE is Sunday River with 217 acres. I feel very good about what our snowmaking team has done.

Thanks Win. You guys have made a strong showing for sure. One of the challenges is that the layout of the mountain requires a lot of acres for run out and not multiple routes down. But that's the mountain(s) with their big vert.....certainly nobody comes close to 2600' open vertical!

Lower Organgrinder/Middle Jestter and Snowbal/Spring Fling simultaneously would be impressive, and great if they could be open over the weekend. Good luck with temps.

For all the people knocking SB's snowmaking, I think the acreage numbers speak for themselves! Very impressive showing indeed. While other areas may have "more routes" open, some of those mountains have the flexibility of having a lot of shorter runs to do that. The layout of SB just makes it tough to open multiple routes on the lower areas of the mountain without a substantial amount of snowmaking.

Quote Originally Posted by winjr View Post
    The themometer is stuck. The temps were too high to make snow. Depending on how the temps actually come in we will try to go to Lower Organgrinder, Middle Jester and Snowball/Fling at the same time. If we had temps like the other night we can do that. Over at ME we would like to get Elbow and if the temps are good down low get back to Inverness for GMVS. Here are some interesting open acreage facts from this morning: Okemo - 160 acres, Sugarbush - 140 acres, Stowe - 120 acres, Killington - 97, Stratton - 92, Mount Snow - 81. The most in the NE is Sunday River with 217 acres. I feel very good about what our snowmaking team has done.
    That's so funny. I was just sitting down to ask if anyone had those numbers because I am too tired from skiing today to feel like looking them up myself. Thanks.
    This morning was trying. I made the mistake of allowing my wife to talk me into going into the heart of the holiday scrum. Honestly I have never seen so many people on downspout. While I stood in line at hg for 15 minutes, I witnessed quite a scene coming down that hill. I mean there where people going backwards, falling, piroutes, little kids not knowing what was happening and quality skiers dodging through the mayhem. So I took a long lunch and when I went out for the afternoon it was pretty good. The fog had cleared, crowds and lines dissipated. I got some quality runs off ripcord, og and jester. Good day.

About the snowmaking, the numbers are telling but it is only once you start including mt Ellen that the numbers are comparable. The issue is early season at lp when mt Ellen is either not open or not really an option. But that's the way it is unless somehow the capacity of 4000gpm is increased substantially.

Honestly I have never seen so many people on downspout. While I stood in line at hg for 15 minutes, I witnessed quite a scene coming down that hill. I mean there where people going backwards, falling, piroutes, little kids not knowing what was happening and quality skiers dodging through the mayhem.
    I wonder if adding snowmaking to the HG traverse has ever been considered. That's really the only other way to get people from Jester or OG back to the HG chair other than DS. Even if more of the mountain is open, DS will always be a bottle-neck if people want to keep lapping trails off HG.

Grooming all but lower Northstar. Get out early. Should be able to turn snow guns on again in the afternoon. Top priority is getting an alternative to Downspout..

When Treeskier & I saw that Mt. Ellen was going to be open top to bottom, our decision for today was cast in stone. Good conditions, particularly on sides of trails. No crowds to speak of until Summit stopped for the second time later in the day. But no major issue because Northridge was open. Good job! Overall a very good day.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Good time skiing today. lower paradise was great this morning. Any updates for further trail expansion tomorrow?

Probably Domino Chutes, rest of Jester, upper portion of lower Organgrinder, Which Way. Midweek should have Upper Snowball/Spring Fling and First Time areas.