Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

opening thread 2015

Hope you have avi gear and some experienced partners

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wolftracks56; 12-11-2015 at 04:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shadyjay View Post
    I will say this, once again OG was the pick of the day. Nice soft creamy snow. You don't usually get OG this good this time of year.... except maybe exactly one year ago.....
    you got that right. i was actually just cruising through the photos in my phone. found a bunch from the powder day on dec 12th, dang that was fun lapping castlerock.

Nice out there today. Thought I was only going to do a few runs but og was too good to pass up. Ripcord softened up later and conditions deteriorated as the day wore on. Downspout was an obstacle course.

I would say that except for Downspout, the open trails skied much better than I expected. OG & Ripcord in particular. Mt. Ops made a good choice last weekemd to make us ski Highway 21 & keep Lower Ripcord closed. Not to sure how much lomger they can continie to pull off these tricks. All i know is that i was ome darn tired skier when I quit for the day.

Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

That was some tough conditions this morning. Downspout was well, classic downspout. Why no grooming? Couldn't a cat go out around 5-6 this morning so it wouldn't have a lot of time to set up? I did appricuate the lifty telling us it was dangerous up there. Wouldn't have known it from the snow report. Praying for snow and temps.

I was trying to preempt any comments as I just got off the mountain. Conditions were terrible - not just tough. At snow plan yesterday we looked as the daily forecast we receive and it was showing temperatures that would keep the snow soft through the night and therefore we thought grooming would damage the trails more than not grooming. But the temps stayed just around 32 and 33 and whole mountain set up. In hindsight, it would have been wise to have some groomers on stand by and maybe having a delayed opening. I also was not pleased with our snowreporting this morning. While conditions were forecasted to soften up with temps in the 40's that was not the case at 9am when the lifts opened. My apologies. We were not at our best today. It was disappointing because the skiing yesterday especially on a nicely groomed Organgrinder and Ripcord was really nice. Lili did two runs on Organgrinder early yesterday which were her first since breaking her tibia plateau there last April. Nice to be back on the horse.

Looking ahead, we have some snow making windows Tuesday and Wednesday night up high, and if so we will resurface where needed. Friday seems to be when we might get colder temps and hopefully even some natural snow.

Just met Dan, new owner of Big Ridge Tavern, opening next week at The Bridges. Super nice guy. He'll be open for lunch and dinner by the sound of it. More to follow. Good to have more places open to eat. Best of luck to him.

Snow report failed to mention that nothing was groomed.even the updates throughout the day never mentioned anything about the lack of grooming. That proved to be an important detail today. Quite the surprise at the top of Super Bravo to find some of the firmest bumps known to man.

First post, enjoy all the insight in here. SB has been doing a great job with what they've had to work with. Today was definitely a hiccup tho. Good example of why you see that regardless of temps Killington Okemo Stratton Stowe Sunday River etc all groom every weekend. Midweek is a different story.Don't shoot yourself in the foot on a weekend.
    Last edited by tedwillie; 12-13-2015 at 03:23 PM.

Mt. Ops gets nothing but criticism from me today. Not groomimg at all or a minimum of 1/2 of XXXX Deathspout today was a complete gaff putting us crazies who boarded SB at great (although I am sure unintentional) risk.) I have great edges on my skis but the combination of ice on ice qnd too many out of control skiers made it a one run & done day for most. Very surprising whe the temp on Bragg Hill Road was 31 when I awoke at 6 am this mornimg.

WJr, I know you are not responsible for the crappy weather & that it will improve, but I just hope a lesson has been learned. Seeing more people leaving the mountain than arriving at the mountain cannot be preempted.
    Last edited by gostan; 12-13-2015 at 06:32 PM.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Looks like I made the right call not skiing today. Had a feeling looking at the temps last night and this morning. Not cold enough to make snow and not warm enough to soften is not a good combination.

First rule of snow report interpretation, what's not said is as important as what's said. With no mention of grooming and temps at 30, I slept in and got out after 10. Should have slept longer.

Everyone leaving the mtn and the liftie set my expectations real low. I look at it as mogul technique practice. Hey, if you can ski those well, you can ski any bumps

2 runs for me. ROTD was coffee run. Only thing that started softening....

Mea Culpa. Agree with all the above comments.

I appreciate the honesty about yesterday. What I do not understand is how the other mountains that are open today groom top to bottom but SB doesn't. Are there differences between grooming machines? Or is it as simple as a judgment call?
    Last edited by angler; 12-14-2015 at 08:44 AM.

I wasn't there yesterday so can't comment on conditions but I do appreciate the open, honest & timely communication. Something that is rare to find in this industry.

Not sure how many people follow this blog, but if Josh is right, we're going to have crappy weather through the remainder of the month
    http://madriverglenweather.blogspot.com/