Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
    Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all. Thanks for your passion.

Today before the wind kicked in it was really nice spring skiing up on Ripcord, Downspout and Upper Organgrinder. Our snowmaking team made the right decision to resurface and build depth. The trails are holding up well so far. If we get through today and tomorrow OK we should be able to patch existing trails together and put most if not all of the snowmaking efforts on new terrain. We will know better on Sunday. The idea is not to resurface is at all possible and focus on Snowball/Spring Fling and Pushover/Rider at LP at the same time. If we need to resurface and can't do both we will go to Pushover to get that beginner terrain open. At ME, we will focus on getting to the bottom on North Star and Straight shot as first priority.

No grooming tonight but temps will come down late and into tomorrow so if may be firm tomorrow mid mountain up. We will likely groom Friday night. Sunday will start off quite warm but then it changes., so we will be grooming what we have and turning on the snow guns. We are looking at really good snowmaking temps beginning Sunday night and lasting for a few days at least and also the forecast is calling for snow on Tuesday.

We will be having a snow dance in the plaza at LP on Tuesday so get some turns in and join us to keep the trend going. Keep the faith.

Quote Originally Posted by winjr View Post
    Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all. Thanks for your passion.

Today before the wind kicked in it was really nice spring skiing up on Ripcord, Downspout and Upper Organgrinder. Our snowmaking team made the right decision to resurface and build depth. The trails are holding up well so far. If we get through today and tomorrow OK we should be able to patch existing trails together and put most if not all of the snowmaking efforts on new terrain. We will know better on Sunday. The idea is not to resurface is at all possible and focus on Snowball/Spring Fling and Pushover/Rider at LP at the same time. If we need to resurface and can't do both we will go to Pushover to get that beginner terrain open. At ME, we will focus on getting to the bottom on North Star and Straight shot as first priority.

No grooming tonight but temps will come down late and into tomorrow so if may be firm tomorrow mid mountain up. We will likely groom Friday night. Sunday will start off quite warm but then it changes., so we will be grooming what we have and turning on the snow guns. We are looking at really good snowmaking temps beginning Sunday night and lasting for a few days at least and also the forecast is calling for snow on Tuesday.

We will be having a snow dance in the plaza at LP on Tuesday so get some turns in and join us to keep the trend going. Keep the faith.
    I've been checking next week's forecast every 4-6 hours. I'm trying not to get my hopes up because Wunderground is calling for a pretty decent storm. That would be a fantastic Christmas gift.

Win, I think your team has put the mountain in about as good of a position as could possibly be expected considering the weather challenges. Conditions were good Tuesday (other than me being soaked) and it was impressive to see how much deeper the cover was compared to last week. It was a shame the winds were so brutal on Monday as I think conditions would have been great.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all. I probably won't make it back up until after New Years once we've had some cold weather and get some more terrain open. I'm looking forward to hopefully a snowy and colder 2016!

Pretty good day on the mountain today. Top was firm except for Jester which had been groomed. A couple of bare spots and one almost walk in ripcord. Upper slopes probably just need a groom, but the section from the bottom of HG to the base is starting to look thin. Things are going to get firm for the next couple of days unless they get groomed or more snow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mountainsider View Post
    Pretty good day on the mountain today. Top was firm except for Jester which had been groomed. A couple of bare spots and one almost walk in ripcord. Upper slopes probably just need a groom, but the section from the bottom of HG to the base is starting to look thin. Things are going to get firm for the next couple of days unless they get groomed or more snow.

Really? I was one and done today. Jester was fine but downspout was treacherous. Maybe I was there too early.

Well "good day" is relative to this year, so deathspout was moguled in the left and had some bare spots on the right. This afternoon, the bumps were soft, could have been ugly in the AM. Still 39 here on the mountain, so it might be interesting tomorrow if they can't groom overnight.

Wondering if they made any snow last night?
    Beautiful out today. Winter starts tomorrow.

Snowmaking all day today on Elbow and started mid day on FIS. Glad to have skied at Mt Ellen today.

Quote Originally Posted by WWF-VT View Post
    Snowmaking all day today on Elbow and started mid day on FIS. Glad to have skied at Mt Ellen today.
    Need an honest assessment of the conditions. My family is supposed to head up for the week. It's a six hour drive and trying to decide if it's worth the time and money. I see that it's supposed to get colder, but how many days of snow making are needed to get more trails open?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerseymom View Post
    Need an honest assessment of the conditions. My family is supposed to head up for the week. It's a six hour drive and trying to decide if it's worth the time and money. I see that it's supposed to get colder, but how many days of snow making are needed to get more trails open?
    It takes 2 days to open a trail at LP. I would assume they make more snow on existing terrain at LP on monday due to some trails being really thin but as soon as it is cold enough they will start expanding at Mt Ellen. Mt. Ellen trails take a little longer to open. Also the only part of Lower Jester open is the section bellow Lower Downspout.

Lookin' like a pretty productive storm Monday night into Tuesday!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerseymom View Post
    Personally, I own a house and my passes are bought and paid for,.... So for me it's just gas money (at 2 bucks/gallon). If I had all the costs you have (I assume you need to buy lift tickets) I'm not sure I would be making that ride.

Our daily forecast just arrived. Snowmaking temps will arrive around 6pm on Sunday. We look good only through late Tuesday or early Wednesday. Cools down again Friday. We are going to have to put guns at LP on existing terrain with expansion focused on Pushover. At ME focus will be Northstar and Staight Shot to get top to bottom. Snow Monday night into Tuesday looks like 5-8. Enough to make existing trails very nice but probably not enough to open where no snow has been made. The longer range forecast is looking better now starting Friday.

Some real white stuff finally on the way.

http://www.necn.com/weather/

Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Absent any heavy natural snow, how many days of snowmaking will it take to get LP and Mt. Ellen fully open? That is, everything excluding trails that never see snowmaking (ie, Casterock or Hammerhead/Tumbler)