Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    LOL What is your deal with this cable splicing? it is actually pretty boring to watch.
    What can I say, I'm intrigued.

I watched it done at Sunday River years ago when they put in the White Heat lift and also the Aurora lift. They used a contraption that gripped the cable ends and pulled them close together and then did their thing. The techs told us it was a slow process that took all day. We left after about 5 minutes.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Discovery Science has made a whole show (how its made) on stuff like this,... If they had an episode on ski lifts - i would be dvr'ing

I think it is a pretty specialized thing with not a lot of people doing it. I wouldn't be surprised if they did not want it recorded to protect their craft. Pictures yes, video no.

Tenney has a few pictures of their having the Eclispe chair haul rope shortened and re-spliced.

https://www.facebook.com/skiTENNEY/p...243337/?type=3

The splicer had pushed this back until Tuesday. Mild weather forecast is good for him but not snowmakers.

Quote Originally Posted by winjr View Post
    The splicer had pushed this back until Tuesday. Mild weather forecast is good for him but not snowmakers.
    It's so far out that you can't rely on it, but things start looking more promising the first week of November, especially at elevation.

It will be interesting to see if elevation can offset what is looking to be a very mild November. Forecast better for December, and many El Niño's with warm Novembers turned out to be cold winters. If it's gonna be warm, rather now......

Quote Originally Posted by sglatham View Post
    It will be interesting to see if elevation can offset what is looking to be a very mild November. Forecast better for December, and many El Niño's with warm Novembers turned out to be cold winters. If it's gonna be warm, rather now......
    Nino shmino. We are due for a big snow winter. We haven't been above average in I think, 4-5 seasons. Don't think we see sustained cold like last winter, but active precipitation wise. Up and down.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    Nino shmino. We are due for a big snow winter. We haven't been above average in I think, 4-5 seasons. Don't think we see sustained cold like last winter, but active precipitation wise. Up and down.
    I'd actually take last season avg snowfall but well above avg snow retention any time as compared to an above avg. snow year with variable temps/snow retention as you might expect in an El Nino year. Keystone and Aspen do just fine with 250" annual snowfalls b/c they don't get any thaws/washouts. In terms of what matters for increasing the quantity and quality of wood skiing days (my personal barometer), it's all about the retention.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman View Post
    I'd actually take last season avg snowfall but well above avg snow retention any time as compared to an above avg. snow year with variable temps/snow retention as you might expect in an El Nino year. Keystone and Aspen do just fine with 250" annual snowfalls b/c they don't get any thaws/washouts. In terms of what matters for increasing the quantity and quality of wood skiing days (my personal barometer), it's all about the retention.
    +1. I will take a cold winter like last year over a winter more snow,... Remember - we did not have any r#%n after that last thaw in December.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman View Post
    Oh I totally agree. But last season was highly anomalous. This isn't Colorado. And with the Nino, we are likely to have above normal temps overall. Unfortunately, there will be thaws. Hopefully they're short lived and we get big snows after.

And fwiw-last season was below average snowfall.

I'll take 300" with a couple of thaws. If we get snowfall in December, it will make up for a warm November. We will be skiing and riding at the Bush Thanksgiving.

Predicting snowfall totals, when and how much, is like predicting the scores to football games. I do not believe in the later (or Draft Kings & FanDuel) so I will just have to wait for Mother Nature to get her act together as to the former. The cold will come, the snow making machines will blow and the natural snow will pile up. I will be there when it all comes to fruition.

And anybody who can predict this should own a Ski Area, or Not.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

I recall it being pretty friggin cold last winter, like too cold on a lot of the weekends. Single digits and windy. Preserved snowpack was nice for later in the year but there was no real spring skiing. Now if we could get the heavy cement dump like last December again...that was great!!