Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New chute?

Yup, bear claw and super chutes are the same thing but super chutes was on some of the old maps in the 60's. I think someone figured out that it's not within SB's lease area and removed it from the map. Those old maps are on the internet so they're worth checking out (I don't have time to paste a link.) So I think that area has been super chutes longer than bear claw but I got the feeling that super chutes also included stuff closer to paradise and maybe even the church. Who knows.
    As far as the slide goes, someone should go over there and look at it because, in my experience, those things can be really messy. Often there's a lot of downed trees and maybe root balls. Instead of making a cool new route it might just be a big unskiable mess.

I couldn't find said map online. I found about a half dozen different maps from the 50s, 60s, and 70s, but none with "Super Chutes" labelled... Are you sure this map wasn't a dream?

Hardbooter, thanks for the history. As far as the names go everyone was right. A while back I recall a proposal to have official trails in that area. The Forest Service put a kibosh on the idea because of fears of mud slides. In addition to slide debris, is the Forest Service going to block access to this area?

Quote Originally Posted by shipyardcreek View Post
    Hardbooter, thanks for the history. As far as the names go everyone was right. A while back I recall a proposal to have official trails in that area. The Forest Service put a kibosh on the idea because of fears of mud slides. In addition to slide debris, is the Forest Service going to block access to this area?
    Block access? Is this even concifered accessible by the forests service. There is know Officials way to access this.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    I couldn't find said map online. I found about a half dozen different maps from the 50s, 60s, and 70s, but none with "Super Chutes" labelled... Are you sure this map wasn't a dream?
    It’s definitely not a dream. There was a long discussion on the old board before all the content was deleted. I’m still pissed about that. This is a community and that was community history (and I don’t like to repeat myself.)

Anyhow, I wasn’t able to find the maps with super chutes online either. But we talked about it many years back on this forum and then I skied it with people who’d seen it as super chutes on the old map and we talked about it. I’ve got a friend who was part of the discussion who’s a pretty good internet detective. I’ll put him on the case and report back.
    In the meantime, those who missed the old discussion should check out these two maps (and the site’s they’re on.)

This first map is from the first year that castlrock opened:

http://www.nelsap.org/skihistory/sugarbush50s.jpg

This next one is from 67-68. Notice the changes since the first map. Also, this has the original birdland that was regrown and then later Egan’s woods was cut in the same place (ish.)

http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/...map.php?id=500

Always great to hear from you Alex. Love the SB history lessons and missed our discussions last winter. ��
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Quote Originally Posted by Hardbooter View Post
    It’s definitely not a dream. There was a long discussion on the old board before all the content was deleted. I’m still pissed about that. This is a community and that was community history (and I don’t like to repeat myself.)

Anyhow, I wasn’t able to find the maps with super chutes online either. But we talked about it many years back on this forum and then I skied it with people who’d seen it as super chutes on the old map and we talked about it. I’ve got a friend who was part of the discussion who’s a pretty good internet detective. I’ll put him on the case and report back.
    In the meantime, those who missed the old discussion should check out these two maps (and the site’s they’re on.)

This first map is from the first year that castlrock opened:

http://www.nelsap.org/skihistory/sugarbush50s.jpg

This next one is from 67-68. Notice the changes since the first map. Also, this has the original birdland that was regrown and then later Egan’s woods was cut in the same place (ish.)

http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/...map.php?id=500
    Note the $7.50 lift ticket price. I estimate that is about $52 in today's dollars.

I saw the slide from a distance this weekend. It's pretty big. There is certainly going to be some need for cleanup.

I also went to the VT music festival at Lareau Farm. That was awesome but not a lot of people there. I think the $20 price this year scared away a lot of the local folks.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Here are a few pics I snapped this weekend. The first was taken from the top of Super Bravo. The other 2 were taken from the base area.

IMG_7707.jpgIMG_7897.jpgIMG_7892.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Here are a few pics I snapped this weekend. The first was taken from the top of Super Bravo. The other 2 were taken from the base area.

IMG_7707.jpgIMG_7897.jpgIMG_7892.jpg
    Good work.
    Looks relatively clean. Didn't notice any trees strewn about.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    Good work.
    Looks relatively clean. Didn't notice any trees strewn about.
    Looking at the full resolution pics on my computer it looks like at the bottom there could be some down trees in the middle. The top 2/3 or so does look relatively clean from the pics I took though.

The slide looks like it will make a perfect ski trail. It is in an area that gets a ton of snow, relatively speaking. If the snow can cover the rocks on Rumble, it'll cover that slide just fine.

Dang the newest image from Google Earth was 5/13 of this year. so not showing up yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I saw the slide from a distance this weekend. It's pretty big. There is certainly going to be some need for cleanup.

I also went to the VT music festival at Lareau Farm. That was awesome but not a lot of people there. I think the $20 price this year scared away a lot of the local folks.

$20 adult admission and $5 to park will keep a lot of people away. IIRC admission used to be a "donation".

Yes the admission was a donation in years past. The problem was that everybody showed up and no one donated and they didn't cover the costs. The result was that it was unsustainable. I have no problem paying $20 to see 8 hours of music. I also parked for free because I am not adverse to walking a little bit. If there were not so many freeloaders the event would have stayed a donation. People always take advantage for a good thing and ruin it for everybody else.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!