Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mushroom

" I just love the look of it and agree that it will have one of the best views at the base. They should totally renovate."

+1 completely agree - the old building has a coolness factor that would not be replicated with a new building.

Quote Originally Posted by djd66 View Post
    " I just love the look of it and agree that it will have one of the best views at the base. They should totally renovate."

+1 completely agree - the old building has a coolness factor that would not be replicated with a new building.
    Are you guys serious? I'm all for the nostalgia and agree that the elevated circle of windows is cool and provides the best views at the base. But the actual structure looks rickety. If an engineer/architect were to say it's not worth putting any money in to, I wouldnt be surprised.

So let's get an engineer

I am sure that Win has a plan. And that he will let us know what it is over Columbus Day Weekend during his annual State of Sugarbush talk.

I am not an engineer, but I have 40 years of real estate development experience. Typically renovating older structures does not make sense because it is more time consuming and costly and the end result is imperfect, especially for a semi-public use type building.

And my gut tells me that it makes sense to get at least a year under the Mountain's belt with the new Valley House Lift in order to understand fully how the new lift changes the base before jumping in with a renovated or new building. Just my thoughts on a July summer day. Enjoy the balance of the summer folks, it will be over before we all can blink.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

As for the structure, that mushroom has a concrete base that goes up pretty high. That is solid and not gong anywhere very easily. The basic structure of the round unit was framed well and looks to be in good shape to the naked eye. I looked at that specifically when I poked my head in. The things that need work are the Windows, interior finishes, plumbing if there is to be a bar and possibly the roof and exterior sheathing/cladding. Not sure about the Heating/Cooling Systems, Electrical, Fire Protection and Fire Alarm. Those may have to be upgraded because of new code considerations. That is ususally a big issue when doing a renovation. Give me $5 or $6 hundred K and I will have that thing in great shape in no time. I will even add a fireplace in the middle with a custom smoke hood. It certainly is not "rickety" in terms of structure in my opinion.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by gostan View Post
    I am sure that Win has a plan. And that he will let us know what it is over Columbus Day Weekend during his annual State of Sugarbush talk.

I am not an engineer, but I have 40 years of real estate development experience. Typically renovating older structures does not make sense because it is more time consuming and costly and the end result is imperfect, especially for a semi-public use type building.

And my gut tells me that it makes sense to get at least a year under the Mountain's belt with the new Valley House Lift in order to understand fully how the new lift changes the base before jumping in with a renovated or new building. Just my thoughts on a July summer day. Enjoy the balance of the summer folks, it will be over before we all can blink.
    Well they had a plan which originally was to replace the valley house. Then they supposedly decided to go in a different direction. But frankly it's not like they've put any money into the structure so maybe they are going to end up replacing it. Whatever they decide, it's not an insignificant investment and it's not like it's going to generate any new income. It would be great if they could fix it up but it's a wood structure that's pushing 60 years old that probably hasn't been maintained optimally throughout its life.

It is probably an existing non conforming structure so taking it down would mean losing it. See: Mountainside Condos. I bet the bones are still good but will take a lot of $$$ to renovate. So, then the question is would you rather have 2 nice lodges in the base, or two lodges in the base in their current state and a new one at the top of Gatehouse using VH renovation $$$....I love spending other people's money.

Quote Originally Posted by Dblshot View Post
    It is probably an existing non conforming structure so taking it down would mean losing it. See: Mountainside Condos. I bet the bones are still good but will take a lot of $$$ to renovate. So, then the question is would you rather have 2 nice lodges in the base, or two lodges in the base in their current state and a new one at the top of Gatehouse using VH renovation $$$....I love spending other people's money.
    I definitely wouldn't want anything at the top of GH. Keep any new buildings in the base area. No need for even thinking about building something in the middle of the mountain. I also don't even know if they would be allowed to build anything like that up there.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    I definitely wouldn't want anything at the top of GH. Keep any new buildings in the base area. No need for even thinking about building something in the middle of the mountain. I also don't even know if they would be allowed to build anything like that up there.
    Well, you may not thinking of it, but the powers that be certainly have. What is your objection to a mid mtn lodge?

They are definitely considering a mid mountain lodge. it will give them a place for all the programs and instructors to go for lunch to take pressure off the gate house and will give them another venue for weddings. This has been strongly considered.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    Well, you may not thinking of it, but the powers that be certainly have. What is your objection to a mid mtn lodge?
    I'd prefer to keep the mountain itself as "natural" as possible with the exception of anything absolutely needed for skiing itself (i.e. lifts). So my objections are mostly on environmental or aesthetic grounds.

As of right now the plan is to have mountain ops moved out of the Mushroom and into some type of temporary structure by winter. All plans are subject to change, but that is the current plan. Where those structures are to be placed, I'm not sure.

Put the trailer back up at the shop like the old days. It worked well there.
    A mid mountain lodge would be great to take the load off the base area. Gatehouse area is a wasted flat begging for something
    Another idea is to have some limited hot food like burgers, burritos and beers from the booster pump house warming hut thing at the bottom of HG. Swing in for something quick, eat outside or crammed in on cold days and have your choice of where to go afterwards.

Any pics of the new Valley House progress?

new chairllift

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkSno View Post
    Any pics of the new Valley House progress?
    These were taken last Saturday, July 18. They were working that day. Things are moving rapidly.

The area where the corrals will be set up is sloped (unchanged). There is an opportunity to regrade the area to make the approach to the lift more pleasant for the next 40 years. Hopefully it is leveled off so were are not waiting in line on that slope. A couple of hours with that excavator would set it straight.
    Attached Images Attached Images