Thread: favorite trail?

favorite trail?

I decided we need some new threads to keep the board from dying over the summer.

For me it is rumble. i find it holds snow very well and is very challenging and has lot of character.

Definitely Rumble! It has the pitch, the bumps, good length, and the best snow on Castlerock. I have the impression that the same bumps persist from year to year on Rumble. I assume that's because the bumps are built into the underlying terrain, but I've never been there in summer to find out.

My second favorite is probably Paradise. I'm not really sure why but a weekend without it doesn't seem complete. It's long, it's steep, it's not steep, and the bumps are well formed and the natural snow is plentiful and soft. It even has multiple entry and exit points.

Lew's line and Egan's are both up there. They'd be higher, but Lew's is just a little too short to be a favorite, and Egan's is just a little out of the way somehow. Some of the other "official" woods like Christmas Tree Woods and Gangsta's Grotto have potential, but they're lower mountain and the snow isn't as good.

Then there's Castlerock Run, Liftline, Middle Earth, The Mall, Twist, and Moonshine, Spillsville, and a bunch of others, in no particular order. These are all well above average, but they're not "favorites."

Over at Mount Ellen, it's hard to identify a favorite. It's probably Exterminator Woods. Bravo is nice. Tumbler is nice, great in the Spring. Upper FIS is too short to be a favorite. I've never been fond of Black Diamond -- I don't know why. Many of my friends love it.

There are some trails that seem like they should be favorites, but aren't. I don't care much for Steins in mid-winter, for example. It's icy. In the spring, however, there are days when Stein's Rules. On those days, it's fun to see if you can make it top to bottom without stopping. I don't care much for Ripcord either, though it can also be fantastic in the Spring. Upper Organ Grinder can be good, but it tends to be icy.

Of course, there are the unofficial woods everywhere, but I'd rather not discuss my favorites in an internet forum...

At Lincoln peak it was the Mall. Not sure if the new configuration is going to effect it but I always love to come flying down VH traverse and launch into it gong full speed. I guess I took my lead from the Epstein's for that.

At North it is Black Diamond. Steep continuous Bumps. Left side of course because the bumps form better.

As for the Woods, I really don't know the name of my favorite run but I am sure someone has a name for it. Actually it's all good to me. Skiing without anyone else around is what it strive for each and every day.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Probably middle earth when I'm in a groove. At Mellon, black diamond although I do like ripping it down rim run.

I spend 90% of my days at the Bush at North, so I've got to go with Exterminator Woods and Looking Good Woods.

Exterminator has some great technical aspects and some good banked turn chutes while Looking Good is a little tighter but easier to maneuver due to a very mellow pitch.

If I have to put a groomed run on the list, I would say Elbow...

When conditions are right,... it could be any trail. For cruising big arcs I love rip chord from top to bottom.,... for bumps - i love everything off the VHD Man, I can't believe i need to wait until next fall to ski

This is an exceptionally difficult question. One of my favorite things about Sugarbush is how unique and awesome the vast majority of the trails are. It depends a lot on conditions on a given day and what I'm in the mood to ski. Paradise can be great. Steins can be great. Middle Earth can be great (and has some of the best views on the mountain imo when you come around the first turn). Domino can be great. At ME, Hammerhead is one of my favorites although I don't think I ski it often enough. Other than the runout at the bottom, Spinout to lower FIS was awesome this year the day I skied it (~10" of fresh powder that wasn't in the forecast).

When no one is around, flying through the S-turns on Jester is always one of my favorite things to do.

Ripping first tracks down a freshly groomed Ripcord or Spring Fling is great too.

I think I'll stop there, but I could easily go on!

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Delaware ? View Post
    I spend 90% of my days at the Bush at North, so I've got to go with Exterminator Woods and Looking Good Woods.

Exterminator has some great technical aspects and some good banked turn chutes while Looking Good is a little tighter but easier to maneuver due to a very mellow pitch.

If I have to put a groomed run on the list, I would say Elbow...
    Didn't think we were including woods, but I agree about exterminator woods. at south, love emerald forest. Have a routine of ripping a couple of runs on birch, then taking emerald forest to castlerock.

Howie,

I thought we were talking about official named trails on the Sugarbush map. I don't want to get specific about ones that aren't on the map. But, I'll just say that of the woods trails that are off the map, well known and easy to get to, my favorite is located near Paradise. You probably know in a general way where I'm talking about.

Other than that, there are some that are either less travelled or harder to get to, that I'm going to keep quiet about!

In the woods, searchin for the perfect airplane turn
    Lift Line and Rumble are a tie for me.
    Having a few top 20 finishes in the CR extreme, I love non-stop runs down lift line with all the natural features and jumps to play with. The head wall always adds technical skills to the equation which i love, and since it is right under the lift, you gotta look good or else you hear it.
    Rumble holds snow long after storms due to aspect and shade from trees. Twisty and full of jumps, stumps, bumps and rocks, all great features to play on. Both are great in the spring as well as mid winter and even better in powder.

A freshly groomed Steins is wonderful second, especially trying to make it down in 20 turns or less. Sure, you go really fast, but carving deep, huge arcs down that trail is such an amazing rush. Just happens so rarely.

Black Diamond at MEllen. Nothing else is as fun. Sustained steep, narrow, good bumps, rocks and lift towers in play, and you have to look good for the crowd above. Thrilling every time.