Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: The Mall

What is the record number of days Castle Rock has been open in one season? And then consecutive days? I would think 116 is close if not the record. Pretty awesome!

I would love to see how the cable is spliced. I hope the cable splicing is captured on video and posted.

We think the CR record is 130 for both and that was two years ago. Remember the 100" of snow in December?

I remember a lot of snow in December, but I also remember a lot of thawing that year. I tend to not delete a lot of my e-mails and went back to the trail reports from 2013 to see if I could figure it out. The best I can tell Castlerock chair opened on 12/27/2012. It then closed sometime in mid-January. The report from 1/16/13 said "Our Patrol staff has been shoveling snow, so that we can re-open Castlerock and several other natural snow trails in the next day or two."

Then the lift closed again around 3/11/13. CR reopened 3/15 for hiking access only. CR lift access then resumed 3/19 or 3/20. CR closed for the season that year 4/7.

At least for continuous access, I think CR this year definitely wins over 2 years ago and may possibly even already have more total days than that year since from what I found it opened earlier this year than 2012/2013 and is already open later than it was that season.

Worked the 'Rock today. I still can't believe how good the coverage is on some trails, including Middle Earth. Even the "Jaws" is well covered. Portions of LL and CR require some "picking your way down", and patrol had to shovel a pathway on the "connection" where it pops out of the woods at the lift line, to get around the bend. The runout is still in good shape with good coverage, albeit slow going.

Heading back to the locker room, I noticed the removal of the Valley House lift has resumed after taking the weekend off. Towers are now coming down. About 4 of them are removed, being staged on Spring Fling for now.

It was so cool to be able to have the Valley House side of the mtn available for the weekend. Sunday was very busy and conditions on that side of the mtn were great. I was psyched to get yet another last run on fav's like Twist/Moonshine, Stein's, Spring Fling, and Snowball.

The April 16 edition of the Valley Reporter has an article entitled "Sugarbush could encounter issues with lift replacement." The article states that Sugarbush has received permission from the Forest Service for the lift replacement, but is still waiting to hear from the state's Natural Resources Board and the Warren Development Review board. It says that Sugarbush is hoping the permits will be approved quickly. The potential hangup is that the project will not be compliant with codes regarding wetlands. The existing structures are non-compliant however, and Sugarbush maintains that the removal the operations building will reduce the non-compliance.

Hopefully, the remaining permitting will go smoothly.

Alright, this "SHOULD" be accessible to anyone who has a Facebook account. It's a public album showing the progress since April of the removal of the Valley House lift:

https://www.facebook.com/shadyjay/me...2430681&type=1

Nice shots. Thanks for posting.

Jay,
    Keep the pics coming.
    GRACIAS
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Ironically, less than a day after I post my Valley House album, the official Sugarbush FB page has also created the exact same album, albeit with better pics. Coincidence?

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1863383&type=1

btw the posted some stats about the new lift. the capacity will be 1800 people an hour as opposed to 750 and the ride time will be 8 minuets. I think 1800 people an hour is the maximum capacity for a triple.

What happened to the valley house construction. I see mountain ops and the lower terminal are still there. Are they still working on the lift? Seems like they have had more than enough time to finish demolition.

They just recently got the act 250 permit for that work a:cording to win's blog.

Plenty of time to have it done before the snow falls...I'm just happy they actually got the ACT 250 permit! I still can't believe Mountainside didn't get their ACT 250 to rebuild...

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    I still can't believe Mountainside didn't get their ACT 250 to rebuild...
    What! That sucks for the residents if that is true.