Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mall

The Mall

After yet another long weekend, I finished off Tuesday around 3 with two top to bottom runs on The Mall. There was so much uncut snow still on the trail that I'm beginning to think the woods get skied out before the trails do these days! While free falling down, hitting whichever bump had the most snow, I was wondering how this trail got it's name. With the new lift, we are all going to be looking at this forgotten gem much more, so these powder shots are going to be more limited in the future. It's just amazing on the hill these days. Amazing.

Anybody know how The Mall got it's name?

Probably one of my finest memories at SB. 3 guys, skiers left, tight bumps and hearing "don't fall" as my heels were being tipped by my friend behind me reminds me of what a great trail this is. Must admit I've passed over it for Steins or runs down Twist or Moonshine, but will certainly make it a point to ski it before the new lift goes in.

In any event, conditions rock and everything in is in play. Have been hitting local areas of late with some great memories, but looking forward to getting back to MRV after the President's week crush.

More snow in the forecast..... Wow!

n.

1737, "shaded walk serving as a promenade,"

I think the mall is wider than last year and the bridge at the end was replaced. Last time I skied it I hit a few stumps on skiers left.

Quote Originally Posted by Dblshot View Post
    n.

1737, "shaded walk serving as a promenade,"
    Dunno if this is the correct answer but I like it a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Chewbarka View Post
    Dunno if this is the correct answer but I like it a lot!
    Any word on the permitting? Need to focus on something positive ,but apparently excess regulation is holding the planned work up.

How many other lifts are being planned in the state of Vermont and how long does it take to determine that. Lot of silt cloth and hay bales can and will protect the water?

This is the state of business under the heavy Thumb of government.

Ooh for the 1960's

Quote Originally Posted by jwt View Post
    Any word on the permitting? Need to focus on something positive ,but apparently excess regulation is holding the planned work up.

How many other lifts are being planned in the state of Vermont and how long does it take to determine that. Lot of silt cloth and hay bales can and will protect the water?

Ooh for the 1960's
    i have heard some unsubstantiated rumors that the VT 252 permit has been issued and that timing restrictions will necessitate work before this season ends.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Quote Originally Posted by gostan View Post
    i have heard some unsubstantiated rumors that the VT 252 permit has been issued and that timing restrictions will necessitate work before this season ends.
    Does that mean we won't end the season with valley house.

Does this mean it's time to start planing a funeral.

Quote Originally Posted by Benski View Post

I'm pretty sure that's why we ended our snowmaking season hitting Downspout and Ripcord again, plus Gondolier. Stein's and Coffee Run were not part of the "depth" plan this season. I'd rather end the season up on Heaven's Gate than on Valley House/Stein's anyway. Though the way this winter is going, it looks like the VH side will close with substantial snow when construction gets underway.

I'm sure Win will elaborate on the plan.
    Last edited by shadyjay; 02-22-2015 at 04:41 PM.

Valley House remains

Quote Originally Posted by Benski View Post

My understanding is only building(s) going are mountain ops, but "Shroom and rest of the iconic Valley House remains. Looks to me like they will need to slightly alter the line of the VHC to the skiers left, take down some birch, and maybe use the foundation of the MO building as a loading area.
    Anyway you look at it the mountain raises loading by 25% w/3 lifts from base as opposed to two - and far less wind hold issues assuming they stay within tree tops. Going out on a limb and suggesting we get a 5 year/1000000000000000000000 skier load guarantee of no breakdowns too!

I was talking about a funeral for the lift.

Ooh for the 1960's
    oh yeah, the good ole 60's, when men were men and women knew their place (sarcasm). seriously, back in the good old 60's and 70's, sewage and toxic waste flowed directly into our waterways. our local utility, Coned, didn't bother manually clearing brush/trees from power lines, they sprayed agent orange. That's true btw. so can we lay off the pesky regulations meme. you can always go live in india or china, just bring a respirator so you can breathe the air.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    oh yeah, the good ole 60's, when men were men and women knew their place (sarcasm). seriously, back in the good old 60's and 70's, sewage and toxic waste flowed directly into our waterways. our local utility, Coned, didn't bother manually clearing brush/trees from power lines, they sprayed agent orange. That's true btw. so can we lay off the pesky regulations meme. you can always go live in india or china, just bring a respirator so you can breathe the air.
    Moose (less) Man,

We're talking a few trees cut and some hay bales Howie! Relax! You need to to view some moose.

And Benski, yes, Funeral For a Friend is appropriate for that lift - some of my best runs ( at least when they were non-stop) were on that original Mall - will be shorter now, but bring it on!

I own chair # 3 from original Castlerock lift. Maybe they will sell these as well. ( Better yet, place it above Inverness to that ridge and boom! MEllen has options! - then we get into Nat Forest issues and south-facing aspect but look at the 'Rock!)

Skiing is great.

Moose (less) Man,

We're talking a few trees cut and some hay bales Howie! Relax! You need to to view some moose.

And Benski, yes, Funeral For a Friend is appropriate for that lift - some of my best runs ( at least when they were non-stop) were on that original Mall - will be shorter now, but bring it on!

I own chair # 3 from original Castlerock lift. Maybe they will sell these as well. ( Better yet, place it above Inverness to that ridge and boom! MEllen has options! - then we get into Nat Forest issues and south-facing aspect but look at the 'Rock!)

Skiing is great.
    I know what they need to do is no big deal and wont cause any harm, but as a lawyer, I can tell you that the rules are set up to prevent bad things from happening. So while we know replacing the lift is no big deal, they still have to go through the established procedures, notice requirements, approvals, etc. that are in place to prevent harm. personally, ive been saved by this. my house in NY abuts a 20 acre lake set up in the 1850's to provide water for steam locomotives. the current owner didnt want to spend the money to bring the dam up to code and was going to drain the lake. so instead of a nice boating, fishing ice skating spot it was going to be a stinking swamp so the huge corporation could save a couple of bucks. Luckily, because of pesky regulations, they had to notify us and we were able to rally the community to save the lake and now we have an 85 acre park.

I do need to see a moose. It seems everyday there is another sighting (I cant believe all these people are in on this hoax) and yet 'nothing for me. and not for lack of trying.

Preparing the permits now. Need detailed drawings from Dopplemayr for submission as well as a lot of detail concerning demolition of lifts, reconstruction
    Of base area, and blasting rock at top of Valley House. We have signed a contract with Dopplemayr. It everything goes as planned need to complete blasting
    By May1st and want to start dissembling VH double in April.

So the spring area after Easter will be HG and Bravo trails to skier left of VH traverse, that is where the extra snow was made,

We are also keeping ME open an extra week through Easter Sunday.