Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mall

Quote Originally Posted by win View Post
    Preparing the permits now. Need detailed drawings from Dopplemayr for submission as well as a lot of detail concerning demolition of lifts, reconstruction
    Of base area, and blasting rock at top of Valley House. We have signed a contract with Dopplemayr. It everything goes as planned need to complete blasting
    By May1st and want to start dissembling VH double in April.

So the spring area after Easter will be HG and Bravo trails to skier left of VH traverse, that is where the extra snow was made,

We are also keeping ME open an extra week through Easter Sunday.
    Thanks for the info Win. All well worth it in the long run! Good luck keeping to schedule.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

I hope they gave you a discount or threw a refund on the repairs they did this summer because it seems like they downgraded the lifts reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by Benski View Post
    I hope they gave you a discount or threw a refund on the repairs they did this summer because it seems like they downgraded the lifts reliability.
    Ben, I assume the more business that you do, the better the price and service, but it is definitely not like going to Home Depot or Lowes for a particularly hard to find torx screw, & finding out that neither has it, and then being able to go down the road to the specialized local long in existence (still?) hardware store, to find one. Also, I know that I was never able to get my former MGB repaired by Toyota. And some of the lifts are akin to long out of production so called British sports cars.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Quote Originally Posted by gostan View Post
    Ben, I assume the more business that you do, the better the price and service, but it is definitely not like going to Home Depot or Lowes for a particularly hard to find torx screw, & finding out that neither has it, and then being able to go down the road to the specialized local long in existence (still?) hardware store, to find one. Also, I know that I was never able to get my former MGB repaired by Toyota. And some of the lifts are akin to long out of production so called British sports cars.
    Famous quote from 'Mater' in the second Cars movie '( referring to Land Rovers - but English engineering in general) ' if there's' no oil under 'em then there's no oil in 'em'!

Sorry, couldn't resist Stan.

I get the excuses thing too - but it's not like they are cheaping out, they are having a very long bad run. I'd be as peed as the next guy if I'm on that lift or skiing that side and that happened to me - just hasn't . . . yet.

Saving cash on snow making though. . . . .

On the bright side, there was plenty of untracked powder in exterminator woods.....and tumbler woods....and moose run.....and about a half dozen others. That's what it's all about.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/01/tr....html?emc=eta1

With blasting going on at the top of valley house how will the top of the lift look during April?

A pile of rock....April will be Bravo -> HG

I guess that means snowball and the mall will be closer most of April but what about stiens

Why not switch to mount Ellen this spring to avoids the construction all together.

Quote Originally Posted by Benski View Post
    I guess that means snowball and the mall will be closer most of April but what about stiens
    Not sure how they could blast that side and have it open. It would be a attorneys wet dream, sorry Howie

I think it has been mentioned before but PLEASE keep the towers low under the tree line. Sunday was a classic example of riding Bravo in a hurricane and VH being calm because it is below the gusts that were rocking the tops of the trees. I like the uncomfortably low chairs especially when skiing, I think it is part of the character of the Mall.

Quote Originally Posted by Dblshot View Post
    I think it has been mentioned before but PLEASE keep the towers low under the tree line. Sunday was a classic example of riding Bravo in a hurricane and VH being calm because it is below the gusts that were rocking the tops of the trees. I like the uncomfortably low chairs especially when skiing, I think it is part of the character of the Mall.
    It has been mentioned and I believe your request has been granted.

The idea is to keep the lift protected by the trees and with a lower unload at the top making it less vulnerable to wind. That is where the current lift is impacted. Also quad chairs are heavier with also means less wind impact.

As I mentioned we will start to take lift down on Monday, April 6thth. If we get work done and equipment safely stored, we might be able to open Valley Traverse to access those trail one final weekend, but I can not promise that.. We will if we can. As was also mentioned extra snow was made on Ripcord, Downspout, Lower Downspout, Coffee Run and Gondolier with hope of skiing top to bottom off of Bravo and HG through first weekend of May.

Win,

Any word on when the chair will go on sale? I used to have a gondola that I lost in a divorce, I would love to get a chair from the Valley House. It will be good to be able to ski off the summit this year. Perhaps it will be the preferred spring option. There's nothing like being on top of the world of a warm, bluebird, late spring day and skiing corn with your friends.

Just curious, what will become of the VH double? Scrap metal? Re-deployed with new uprights to carry skiers up from parking? Cut up and sold as souvenirs? Sold to an unsuspecting theme park?