Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mall

Quote Originally Posted by djd66 View Post
    Is next weekend the last weekend at ME?
    ME closes for the season on Sunday 4/5. It is open every day until then, unlike the past couple years when it's only been open for the "bonus weekend" and that has usually only been a couple of lifts.

Heads up, though... no Mad Bus service of any kind during the week... including the LP-ME shuttle. Slide Brook lift is scheduled to run throughout the week (depending on wind - it was closed today, as was most of upper mtn at LP). If you dip into Slide Brook woods, there will be no shuttle service... until Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by djd66 View Post
    Man,... the skiing on LP sucked compared to what you were skiing on ME. Wish I had made the trip over there. Is next weekend the last weekend at ME?
    it was, but the video was from an undisclosed location that doesnt see much traffic and, in fact, was completely untracked until we took care of our business.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    We only get to ski it for another week in it's original condition and before they modify it and they killed it. Oh well. It is what it is.
    Is black diamond that much wider that the mall so will it need to be significantly wider. I think the biggest change will be the lack of big towers in the middle of the trail.
    Last edited by Benski; 03-30-2015 at 04:57 PM.

I don't think they will widen Mall in general, Just the bottom to accommodate the new path to down below. I was referring to the grooming of the bumps when I said they "killed it". I was planning on skiing the full length of the original trail a few times before they changed it. I was also planning on taking some pictures and making a framed collage of the old chair. Now it will not have any bumps and not look like the typical classic old style trail. Oh well. Maybe I have some photos on file that I could use. Believe me I am psyched for the new lift. I just want to send off the old trail with some classic Mall bumps.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

I actually was at both on Saturday although I was just passing through North and only did one run before departing into the woods. Conditions were similar at lease where I skied. The trails were another story as they were icy in general and we avoided at all cost. Hueys, 21/22, Ripdise, Rock-n-Rumble and Orchid were skiing tremendously. We went looking for Howie's Moose. Did not see it but there were plenty of signs. I think that skiing last weekend was good in general all over the resort.

I think this was been answered but I will clarify. We are widening Valley Traverse above the entrance to Steins. This will require first cutting down the tress and then blasting the ledge and remove the rock and grading the trails. USFS requires us to blast prior to May 1st so as not to disturb nesting of Bicknell Thrush. That is why the Valley House side needs to be closed early.

The widening of Valley House Travers and the removal of the old lift terminal/placement of new lift terminal will eliminate one of the worst and most dangerous intersections on the mountain. Can't wait to ski it next year.

Having another lift to exit the base area, and one which should be less wind affected, will also be a huge difference maker.

Major improvements. And "on mountain" too!

Very nice.

Totally agree. I bet this one lift will totally change the line issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by sglatham View Post
    The widening of Valley House Travers and the removal of the old lift terminal/placement of new lift terminal will eliminate one of the worst and most dangerous intersections on the mountain. Can't wait to ski it next year.

Having another lift to exit the base area, and one which should be less wind affected, will also be a huge difference maker.

Major improvements. And "on mountain" too!

Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Totally agree. I bet this one lift will totally change the line issues.
    It's huge.

meanwhile, I have to be in NJ saturday night with family. latest NWS forecast for 3000' elevation has 6-10" saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by sglatham View Post
    According to ski patrol there are little to no injuries. I would assume that cant pass though that intersection with enough speed to get hurt from the impact if you collided with someone.

its more of an annoyance than anything

The sharp right turn required to exit the chair at the top is also challenging for novice skiers. Improvement all around.

You should "Passover" the Family and head up by yourself! Snow hard right now. Looks to be good. Wind may be a factor so we will have our skinning gear at the ready.
    Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    It's huge.

meanwhile, I have to be in NJ saturday night with family. latest NWS forecast for 3000' elevation has 6-10" saturday.

What a difference a days makes in the Mountains. Quite a bit of rain before it changed over to some snow. Not as much as he had hoped for. It is "sporty" skiing. Some powder where the wind blew it and some moonscape made by the wind. Very windy at the summits and ME is impacted more than LP so we are allowing ME passholders to ski LP this afternoon so they can enjoy a final weekend as much as possible. Things should groom out well tonight, so we are hoping for a nice Sunday.

And what a Sunday it was.
    Drive to the hill from Fayston at 6:30am to make the Easter Service by the Rev at Allyn's. Almost white out conditions. Cars off the road on German Flats. Windy, mid-winter, snow dumping ride up Super Bravo. Rev does a lovely service. Get out of Allyn's to 6 inches of fresh. Crowd goes student body left down Downspout. A few head right across traverse to Snowball. Wife likes fresh on groomed, she's in heaven. Moonshine was possibly the best all winter. Second run took kids through Eden, absolutely amazing for April 5. Third run down lower Domino...can it get any better than this? Coffee in the lodge at 9:30 and I'm already gassed.
    Woods great all day. Head to North, Exterminator woods fantastic. Finding fresh untracked all day. Last run at 3:30 and still finding untracked in the woods.
    Go into the lodge at North and they're giving away free pizza. (Thanks, Win). Perfect Day? Possibly. Best ever for April.
    I'm old. The knees hurt...they hurt so good.