Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mall

Quote Originally Posted by Boxtop Willie View Post
    And what a Sunday it was.
    Drive to the hill from Fayston at 6:30am to make the Easter Service by the Rev at Allyn's. Almost white out conditions. Cars off the road on German Flats. Windy, mid-winter, snow dumping ride up Super Bravo. Rev does a lovely service. Get out of Allyn's to 6 inches of fresh. Crowd goes student body left down Downspout. A few head right across traverse to Snowball. Wife likes fresh on groomed, she's in heaven. Moonshine was possibly the best all winter. Second run took kids through Eden, absolutely amazing for April 5. Third run down lower Domino...can it get any better than this? Coffee in the lodge at 9:30 and I'm already gassed.
    Woods great all day. Head to North, Exterminator woods fantastic. Finding fresh untracked all day. Last run at 3:30 and still finding untracked in the woods.
    Go into the lodge at North and they're giving away free pizza. (Thanks, Win). Perfect Day? Possibly. Best ever for April.
    I'm old. The knees hurt...they hurt so good.
    Left ny around 6:45. Skied mt Ellen. I'm beat. Great day. Lower fis ftw.

Skiing yesterday was one of the best days of the year for us. We had plenty of powder days this season - but none with a clear sky, warm temps + no wind! I felt like i was out west. There is just so much snow still on the ground - ALL woods are still in play. The mountain was empty - I was getting fresh tracks all day in the woods. Is there bus service from Slide Brook anymore?

Bus Service ended with the closing of Mt. Ellen this Sunday.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Skied today. There was a huge pile of snow blocking off Valley House Traverse. They were taking chairs off the line today and moving them to the groomer enclosure. The base is still deep and it was snowing hard enough you could not see anywhere near the top of the valley house most of the day.

Lurker here but have some friends heading up this morning and said the snow report is showing 15" in the last 48 hours! Is that another 15" since Sunday morning (48 hours ago)??!! I may need to head up and join my friends as I can't imagine what the skiing must be like with another 15" on top of the snow that fell Friday night and Saturday.

24 hrs: 4-3-0"
    48 hrs: 15-10-2"

Tuesday, April 7th, 2015
    6:40 AM

Spring hours are in effect, but Mother Nature didn't get the memo. With 15" in 48 hours, it might as well be mid-winter at Sugarbush! We received another inch at the summit since yesterday afternoon and wet snow is currently coming down at the base.

The trees are almost off. Next comes the Haul Rope. WE have been cutting down the trees on the right side of Valley Traverse where we plan to blast and widen the traverse. We will be attempting to get the traverse cleared and safe for the weekend so there is a chance (not a certainty yet) that we will be able to open the trails over there with the exception of The Mall and Lower Twist. Will keep you posted.

Thanks for the update Win,... that would be awesome to get some more runs on that section of the mountain - if it does open. What a winter - reminds me of 2007 when we had all that spring snow!

Great day today. Plenty of soft bumps. Nice to here the trails over there might be open for the weekend although moving the 7 foot wall of snow from the top of the traverse might be a bit of a pain in the neck. It looked like the chairs were all off by 330.

Quote Originally Posted by bushbum1980 View Post
    Lurker here but have some friends heading up this morning and said the snow report is showing 15" in the last 48 hours! Is that another 15" since Sunday morning (48 hours ago)??!! I may need to head up and join my friends as I can't imagine what the skiing must be like with another 15" on top of the snow that fell Friday night and Saturday.

24 hrs: 4-3-0"
    48 hrs: 15-10-2"

Tuesday, April 7th, 2015
    6:40 AM

Spring hours are in effect, but Mother Nature didn't get the memo. With 15" in 48 hours, it might as well be mid-winter at Sugarbush! We received another inch at the summit since yesterday afternoon and wet snow is currently coming down at the base.
    The snow reports have been a bit funky. That total is from Saturday onward. And it's April. It's heavy wet snow so it compacts quickly and significantly. It's not like we r skiing boot deep Champlain powder. Don't get me wrong, conditions are great. Put it this way, it's not often you see lower birdland with full coverage on 4/7.

Quote Originally Posted by win View Post
    The trees are almost off. Next comes the Haul Rope. WE have been cutting down the trees on the right side of Valley Traverse where we plan to blast and widen the traverse. We will be attempting to get the traverse cleared and safe for the weekend so there is a chance (not a certainty yet) that we will be able to open the trails over there with the exception of The Mall and Lower Twist. Will keep you posted.
    Win, curious, how does one remove a haul rope?
    Also, what happens to the old tower bases.? I assume they are demolished to below grade but on morning star there is that one concrete foundation that sticks out that looks like it was from a previous lift tower.

In the woods, searchin for the perfect airplane turn
    Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    Win, curious, how does one remove a haul rope?
    Also, what happens to the old tower bases.? I assume they are demolished to below grade but on morning star there is that one concrete foundation that sticks out that looks like it was from a previous lift tower.
    Having worked and shortened a tow rope on a lift at K-mart many moons ago, they take the weight off the counter balance that is on the end of a lift. This causes the haul rope to slacken. Then they take the rope off the sheave trains. Since they are disassembling this lift, they could"un-splice" the haul rope and just pull from one end and coil it up on a massive reel. This would make sense if it will be used again.

Quote Originally Posted by Brew Ski View Post
    Having worked and shortened a tow rope on a lift at K-mart many moons ago, they take the weight off the counter balance that is on the end of a lift. This causes the haul rope to slacken. Then they take the rope off the sheave trains. Since they are disassembling this lift, they could"un-splice" the haul rope and just pull from one end and coil it up on a massive reel. This would make sense if it will be used again.
    Huh.
    I hope we get some kind of time lapse video of the whole process from dismantling the old lift to installing the new lift.

The rope was cut and top part pulled down Spring Fling and other piece wrapped about a spool wheel and drawn down the Mall. The Towers will be scrap metal.

Work went well this week with Chair and Cable off, so we have cleaned up the Traverse and all trails with exception of The Mall and Lower Twist will be open this weekend. Work will likely resume on Monday so The Traverse will be shut again. Once we get the final Act 250 permit we will be preparing to blast the ledge on skiers right where the widening will occur.

Fantastic. Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by win View Post
    The rope was cut and top part pulled down Spring Fling and other piece wrapped about a spool wheel and drawn down the Mall. The Towers will be scrap metal.

Work went well this week with Chair and Cable off, so we have cleaned up the Traverse and all trails with exception of The Mall and Lower Twist will be open this weekend. Work will likely resume on Monday so The Traverse will be shut again. Once we get the final Act 250 permit we will be preparing to blast the ledge on skiers right where the widening will occur.

I've been taking some pictures of the progress which I'll share in a few days on my Facebook page as a public album. It's been pretty neat to come in each morning/afternoon and see the progress being made!

Also it seems the website is a little off with the hours of lifts.... Weekends, Bravo will run 9AM-5PM, all other lifts 10AM-4PM. Just a heads up for those coming up to enjoy the fun!