Snowstorms Could Turn White Into Gold For New England's Ski Areas

Not surprisingly, fairly interesting article in today's Boston Globe about ski areas bonanza this winter, with some statements about Sugarbush ski visits and revenues.

The Globe article states in part that "Likewise, business has been brisk at Sugarbush in Warren, VT. Skier visits are up 7 percent so far this year, and revenue has risen 6 percent, compared to the same time a year ago", spokesman John Bleh said.

This is shaping up to be Sugarbush's second best year for revenue since current owner, Summit Ventures, bought the resort in 2001. Much of that can be attributed to the snow that blanketed its key markets. "Even if we get a huge storm in Vermont, if people in Boston or New York aren't seeing snow in their backyards, it's hard to get them motivated to come up here," Bleh said.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

I'm hoping the frigid temps keep the crowds down this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    I'm hoping the frigid temps keep the crowds down this weekend.
    Howie, i am sure that all of the families whose Sunday flights South will be cancelled will not likely opt to brave the expected cold temps to ski Sugarbush. I feel bad for those folks. And for all of the restauranteurs in Boston who are going to have cancellations galore for Valentines Day dinners on their busiest Saturday nite of the season. I would not expect Sugarbush to have a slew of reservation cancellations, but day trippers should be fewer due to the extreme cold

Last edited by gostan; 02-13-2015 at 06:10 AM.
    Stan

Quote Originally Posted by gostan View Post
    Howie, i am sure that all of the families whose Sunday flights South will be cancelled will not likely opt to brave the expected cold temps to ski Sugarbush. I feel bad for those folks. And for all of the restauranteurs in Boston who are going to have cancellations galore for Valentines Day dinners on their busiest Saturday nite of the season. I would not expect Sugarbush to have a slew of reservation cancellations, but day trippers should be fewer due to the extreme cold
    We were supposed to have a family up for the weekend, but they cancelled. Not many sane people going out in this kind of cold. See you on the slopes.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    We were supposed to have a family up for the weekend, but they cancelled. Not many sane people going out in this kind of cold. See you on the slopes.
    If today is any indication there will be less than anticipated. There was nobody today. New snow and wind blew around and made everywhere seem untracked.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    If today is any indication there will be less than anticipated. There was nobody today. New snow and wind blew around and made everywhere seem untracked.
    Really? I thought there were quite a few people considering it was Friday and frigid. But yeah, untracked all day.

Yesterday was way below last year when the snow really started. This weekend will definitely be slower that last year especially Saturday when we had our busiest day ever. The Weather Channel has scared people away. Too bad, because today was a very pleasant and comfortable day with great conditions.

Most of the regulars were certainly out in force yesterday with lots of other President Day weekend skiers. A bit coldat top, no wind, but great skiing. The doom & gloom weather reporters need to learn to report but to not overdo it. I suspect that many who would have skied did not because of all of the dire weather warnings. I have noticed that the weather reports in Boston are now getting double the time and double the weather people. Too much time to whine. See you all out there today.
    Stan

The weather report for today and tomorrow seems to be in line with the reality of the environment. Not sure you can blame people for not wanting to come up and spend a grand or so to ski or ride in sub zero conditions. Even if yesterday was ok.
    Last edited by angler; 02-15-2015 at 01:50 PM.

Also, the Ski Areas always wish for the white stuff to be in peoples back yards down in Boston & elsewhere. so that ski trips will be on their minds. Now, those wishes have brough way too much accumulation down in the lowlands.
    Stan

I was planning to ski Mellon but with all the lifts on wind hold, I lost my motivation. I know Treskier had a good run in slidebrook.

It was pretty cold out there. Skiing was great. The trick was skiing woods and bumps and doing extra long pulls to get your heard rate up. Not a day for GS type skiing. Best run of the day yesterday.......paradise!
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!