Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thank You--from Castlerock Pub

This Sunday, 1/25 Castlerock Pub is thanking you, our awesome guests for voting the pub one of FourSquare's Top 10 Apres Ski Bars in North America! Clint Bierman and the Necessary Means will be playing apres and we'll have free wings, nachos and cheesesteaks as supplies last--so come on by and let us say 'thanks!'

Crocker - nothing personal,.. but how the hell did CRP get to the top ten Apres ski bar in North America?? To be honest- i wont even go in there anymore as it is just a horrible experience (IMHO) People on this board think I'm a pro Sugarbush Kool-aid drinking win smith ass kisser - BUT, I will call it like I see it when it comes to the CRP. It is just not a fun place for Apres Ski. I'm hoping that they rethink this place someday and utilize it for additional cafeteria space (much needed) then take the bar and bring it up to the Valley House.

Quote Originally Posted by djd66 View Post
    Crocker - nothing personal,.. but how the hell did CRP get to the top ten Apres ski bar in North America?? To be honest- i wont even go in there anymore as it is just a horrible experience (IMHO) People on this board think I'm a pro Sugarbush Kool-aid drinking win smith ass kisser - BUT, I will call it like I see it when it comes to the CRP. It is just not a fun place for Apres Ski. I'm hoping that they rethink this place someday and utilize it for additional cafeteria space (much needed) then take the bar and bring it up to the Valley House.
    Couldn't agree more. CRP is just a dismal basement.

Last Friday after skiing, three of us went to Timbers for a beer (trying to avoid CRP), but were turned away because they didn't open until 5:00p which was 40 minutes away. We then walked over to CRP and you couldn't find a seat and it had that unpleasant overcrowded feel -- it was clear it would take a while to get served and we'd have to be standing the whole time in our ski boots. We declined to stay and went on our way. Three people were ready to hand money to the mountain for draft beers and maybe some apps, and the mountain lost the business. Foolishness.

Suggestion: open the Timbers bar at 3:30p. No food, just drinks. Bartender can be doing other stuff if it's empty. Seems like a no-brainer to take people's money if they are trying to buy your product.

Quote Originally Posted by Orca View Post
    Couldn't agree more. CRP is just a dismal basement.

Last Friday after skiing, three of us went to Timbers for a beer (trying to avoid CRP), but were turned away because they didn't open until 5:00p which was 40 minutes away. We then walked over to CRP and you couldn't find a seat and it had that unpleasant overcrowded feel -- it was clear it would take a while to get served and we'd have to be standing the whole time in our ski boots. We declined to stay and went on our way. Three people were ready to hand money to the mountain for draft beers and maybe some apps, and the mountain lost the business. Foolishness.

Suggestion: open the Timbers bar at 3:30p. No food, just drinks. Bartender can be doing other stuff if it's empty. Seems like a no-brainer to take people's money if they are trying to buy your product.
    We had a similar experience earlier this season. So we went upstairs to the cafeteria and found tall cans in the fridge, and hung out there for a bit. In many ways it was more pleasant than the cellar. I think they have PBRs and maybe Long Trail. Some wine singles also. No waiting.

Good to know about the fridge upstairs. The lost revenue is incredible. Almost always up going home and drinking / snacking there if at South. North and The Basebox, while ancient, are much better.

I don't know much about the Food + Beverage business, But I honestly think there are well over six figures being left on the table because of this problem. One easy way to make the experience better - hire at least 2 more bar tenders at CRP and another 2 to work at Timbers. 2 Guys servicing 500+ people is just not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by djd66 View Post
    I don't know much about the Food + Beverage business, But I honestly think there are well over six figures being left on the table because of this problem. One easy way to make the experience better - hire at least 2 more bar tenders at CRP and another 2 to work at Timbers. 2 Guys servicing 500+ people is just not enough.
    I'm no food and beverage man either, but I would think that it is not so easy to fit two more bartenders behind the bar at the crp. And furthermore, outside of 1-5pm on Saturdays, there is absolutely no need for them.
    Someone else mentioned this previously, and I think it warrants consideration, but rearranging the bar so it's straight instead of a "u" would open a lot of space. Maybe not enough to satisfy those who are turned off by the basement thing, but at least open up some room to move around.
    I actually feel bad I don't go in there more. The physical plant is what it is, and Shaun, I think does a great job. I may go there more in the summer than in the winter.
    Most importantly, any plan for the Super Bowl?

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    I'm no food and beverage man either, but I would think that it is not so easy to fit two more bartenders behind the bar at the crp. And furthermore, outside of 1-5pm on Saturdays, there is absolutely no need for them.
    Someone else mentioned this previously, and I think it warrants consideration, but rearranging the bar so it's straight instead of a "u" would open a lot of space. Maybe not enough to satisfy those who are turned off by the basement thing, but at least open up some room to move around.
    I actually feel bad I don't go in there more. The physical plant is what it is, and Shaun, I think does a great job. I may go there more in the summer than in the winter.
    If you really want to watch the Game the one ski bar to avoid for the Super Bowl is the CRP. The game is on late enough on Sunday that I should be able to make it home in time to watch with a few non skier Pats fans in the comfort of my own 65" plasma & surround sound. Again, more lost revenue because the MT does not have a larger more comfortable venue for such a great fun event. I would stay and watch if they did.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    Howie - I have to disagree. There is plenty of room for more bartenders back there. 1 additional bar tender could be servicing the wait staff and 1 more could be servicing just me 1-5 is peak time for sure - and that's why they need more help during that time. I totally agree that the bar staff does a great job with what they have - no issue with them - and real sorry for hijacking Crocker's original post. I just think until they can figure out how to improve the existing bar (how about just removing the wall that separates the 2 rooms) - they should at least add more staff during peak times.

Can kegs be set up on the CRP patio area and have several of the propane patio heaters and people can get a beer and drink on the patio? I believe that area is allowed to have alcohol in it. I bet that would get used unless it was brutally cold. Also shocking that timbers doesn't open until 5, maybe because it was a Friday?

First off, thanks Crocker for the info and the Apres Party. Wow the back lash on this post even made me feel bad and that is saying something. We all know the inefficiencies about the bar and have spoke about it tons of times. I don't think this post is the place to gripe. Go to an old post or start a new one. Crocker is just the messenger of what he thought might be a good thing.

For the record, I have spent enough time in CRP to know it's limitations. And even knowing them I always get a beer in a timely manner. So here is one trick I will part with.
    There are these nice young ladies that walk around called waitresses. When you see one walk up to them and go "Hi!!!!" Smile and give them your order. Since I go in there most après, some of them even know my order before I open my mouth. Simple as that. Easy Peasy. I know the basement sucks and when it is crowed it is hard to get a seat but I am a regular and most everybody I ski with is in there except for the folks that go up to the Wunderbar. Your Apres is what you make of it. Standing with 10 of my friends toasting the best run of the day and telling jokes sounds like a kickass Apres to me. I guess the guys at Foursquare also had a good time. That is all I have.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

The Wunderbar is open Friday, Saturday and Sundays for drinking and eating.

Funny I thought the Wunderbar was reserved for the Bush Pilots. They seem to be the only ones to get any service up there. JK.

Ha! They just get all the seats!!

Yup, because they get in there at 2:00 once their lesson/session (whatever they call it) is over. I don't bother to go there anymore because most of my non-Bush Pilot friends are at Castlerock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dblshot View Post
    Ha! They just get all the seats!!