Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Another thread full of complaints. shocking...

I've never had to wait long for a beer at the CR Pub during the apres ski dash, the bartenders are far more attentive than many other bars. In addition to this, they throw some really decent beer events. I've had the opportunity to chat with several different brewers at this bar.

Have fun drinking with the kiddos upstairs folks.

Real ski bums never complain when there is free food. Never.

Hard to respond to this thread. It sort of reminds me of one of Yogi Berra's quips: "It is so crowded there, nobody goes there any more."

Quote Originally Posted by win View Post
    Hard to respond to this thread. It sort of reminds me of one of Yogi Berra's quips: "It is so crowded there, nobody goes there any more."
    Win, you built and operate a more enjoyable venue called Timbers, which I would choose any day of the week. I do not think Yogi Berra said it, but "variety is the spice of life."
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Maybe the first response post was more of a knee jerk reaction to the statement that it was voted one of top 10 ski bars in North America. If I was wearing a monocle it would have fallen out. This is chiefly why I don't wear a monocle any more. I mean I don't think I'd vote it even a top 10 bar in Vermont.

That being said I guess it is all what you get out of it. To an outsider looking in no way is it a top 100 apres bar, but it's where I find myself every apres so there has to be something to it. My guess is the staff plays a role. Shawn and Rich are in constant motion during the whole busy time, but always have a second for a handshake and a hello. On the shoulder seasons it's nice to talk with them and catch up. If you want to talk about honesty, my buddy left $100 bill down for a tip by accident and Shawn chased us down to see if it was intentional. Good luck finding that kind of character anywhere else to include maybe Ski Magazine's list of top 10.

If you don't like standing in your ski boots change out of them. It makes the standing easier and you can focus more on drinking. If you walk in during the rush keep your order simple for the first round. Maybe 5 Long Trails instead of a surfer on acid, 2 gin fuzzies, a mai thai and oh I'd like to see the wine list. Then you can settle in, relax with a brew and scope a good time to step in to order your next round right out of the Mos Eisley Cantina.

The layout is poor, the lighting is dim. I can't see the mountain and I'm standing next to some guy from New York that smells like a Slim Jim. But send me a Captain, kick back with a wing, tell me of your powder day and don't care about a thing.

Not to mention Sarno, Tilly, Dave or any of your crew probably has the corner of the bar secured by the time you get in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by MntMan4Bush View Post
    Maybe the first response post was more of a knee jerk reaction to the statement that it was voted one of top 10 ski bars in North America. If I was wearing a monocle it would have fallen out. This is chiefly why I don't wear a monocle any more. I mean I don't think I'd vote it even a top 10 bar in Vermont.

That being said I guess it is all what you get out of it. To an outsider looking in no way is it a top 100 apres bar, but it's where I find myself every apres so there has to be something to it. My guess is the staff plays a role. Shawn and Rich are in constant motion during the whole busy time, but always have a second for a handshake and a hello. On the shoulder seasons it's nice to talk with them and catch up. If you want to talk about honesty, my buddy left $100 bill down for a tip by accident and Shawn chased us down to see if it was intentional. Good luck finding that kind of character anywhere else to include maybe Ski Magazine's list of top 10.

If you don't like standing in your ski boots change out of them. It makes the standing easier and you can focus more on drinking. If you walk in during the rush keep your order simple for the first round. Maybe 5 Long Trails instead of a surfer on acid, 2 gin fuzzies, a mai thai and oh I'd like to see the wine list. Then you can settle in, relax with a brew and scope a good time to step in to order your next round right out of the Mos Eisley Cantina.

The layout is poor, the lighting is dim. I can't see the mountain and I'm standing next to some guy from New York that smells like a Slim Jim. But send me a Captain, kick back with a wing, tell me of your powder day and don't care about a thing.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Not to mention Sarno, Tilly, Dave or any of your crew probably has the corner of the bar secured by the time you get in there.
    It doesn't hurt.

I think a CRP beer-only station might help (or perhaps beer and a shot?). We fled CRP Sunday afternoon near 4 due to the crowd (I find that the ladies tire of standing), but Timbers was open.

I have been a regular at Sugarbush for two years now, along with Phin. We both enjoy hitting CRP at the end of our day which is usually around 4. Busy mountain weekends mean a busy bar. I think that's true of any resort bar. I have skied Cannon a ton, and that bar is ALWAYS packed at the end of the day.

Sometimes, I feel people on this forum have ZERO clue how to run a business, because that's what Win is doing. A bar that is only half full would be a poor investment. If the bar was empty enough you didn't have to site next to people on critical holiday weekends, Sugarbush would not be able to stay open. The slim jim smelly guy from NY paying full price tickets and ordering $15 Mai Thais keeps costs down for the 20+ days/year regulars.

I do agree a mountain view from the pub would be nice. Also the giant round tables make be able to seat a lot of folks, but smaller square tables can allow for more standing room. People can learn to squeeze more seats at a square table. The 'overcrowded, crammed' feeling could probably be fixed with smaller tables.

Overall, I'm a big fan of the CRP and it's staff.

Thanks Captain Killjoke. I understand Johnny Slimjim from NY's importance. But Fahhhgetaboutit.

As someone who also spends 20+ days at the CRP rolling in post 4 when lifts close and who has a routine down I'm very capable of getting a drink and having some fun. That doesn't mean everyone does or Johnny Slimjim is gonna double down on those Fuzzy Navels if he feels someone is all up in his puttanesca. There's no way you can tell me that it's a well designed bar unless you're the guy who also designed the boot room. Though I do appreciate they put a giant beam in the middle of the bar space to put stickers on. I mean where else would we put them.

By your logic Win would be a great businessman (not saying he's not) and making money hand over fist if he moved the CRP to the utility closet because a full bar means higher profits. This is only true if said bar is at max potential capacity. Several posters on here would submit that it is not. I agree apres ski at most bars is packed and crowded. It's the way of it, but the CRP is pretty small and poorly laid out. Fact. (It's a fact because I used the word "fact" after as emphasis).

Now off to shovel another 3 metric tons of snow that I don't get to ski on.

Mtn Man. That is a column not a beam. Get your construction terms right Dude.
    I have absolutely no complaints about the staff, the selection of Beer or the atmosphere at the CRP.
    My well documented issue is this: They built the thing from scratch and they either did not consider the amount of people that are going to go in there or did not know. The layout is poor for handling the amount of people. $1,000's of dollars are left on the table each weekend because a lot of people(not me) wait 5-10 minutes just to get served. That means that they only get one maybe two beers at après and then leave. Or never go in at all as some people have stated. A separate beer station that just served beer would probably help fix the situation by pulling people away from the bar. I can live with the basement location.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    they either did not consider the amount of people that are going to go in there or did not know.
    I think it's the later; sometimes business assumptions are wrong. I admit I could never run my own business because I am terrible at dealing with uncertainties on a large scale.

If MtnMan can get past ego stroking himself about his own clever snarkiness, he'll realize running a business requires making assumptions. Such as how many people will use an Apres bar v. how many people will use the lodge cafeteria during the day. I'm guessing - not knowing the full history of the lodge construction - that the ownership team wanted more space for the cafeteria/upstairs area because it would get more use throughout the day. In addition, the upstairs can host functions and weddings, so a beautiful view of the mountain helps sell that space.

Let's say the upstairs was the location of CRP. It's a MASSIVE space that you now need to fill every weekend night. What if it's half empty? Maybe they cut in half and make half boot room/family lunch space and the other half a bar like Mt. Ellen? I'm not sure that option is much better.

CRP is not an ideal layout for the amount of people it gets. Hindsight is 20/20, Monday morning Tom Bradying, CRP could have been made better. I hope that some improvements are figured out for continued success of the mountain, but I can also appreciate it in its current state. If you don't like CRP today, vote with your wallet and patron another establishment.

Quote Originally Posted by brave fellow View Post
    If MtnMan can get past ego stroking himself about his own clever snarkiness,
    What I read here was that you think I'm clever so I'll take that as a compliment. Thanks. If you prefer I keep my posts dry and don't try and add a bit of humor to a thread that can be down right boring because it's been stated over and over again then sure. Let's all just do that. I suppose I should be mad at Hawk for pointing out my failure to identify a load bearing column in place of a support beam. However it made me laugh this morning so I'll get over it. I suggest you do the same.

So here you go with absolutely no attempts at fun at all. Not sure when you started skiing SB, but if you were around when the CRP was being built it was pointed out by many how small the space seemed well before the lights turned on. I mean take a look at it. It's tiny. Not really Monday morning QB-ing it here. I mean presumably someone drafted a set of blue prints that showed volume. They started a foundation. Threw up a couple of walls and someone should have said wait a minute here guys. Have you ever been in another ski bar? If you have take a look around. The ones that seem crowded and packed and you walk out of after a drink are usually tiny bars that you can't move around in or get to the bar and get a drink. We both seem to have a good routine down where we can get in and get drinks so it serves the regulars well because we can be patient. We're not going anywhere anyways. But if you want to bring in new business or continue to replace people who disappear over the years then you need something that doesn't just cater to the regulars.

I'd also draw a direct correlation here that a small bar that has zero capacity might not draw in as much money as one could potentially get. For a mountain that wants to bring more paying customers to the valley your goal shouldn't be to build to a current capacity, but projected. If I was going to build a bar back then and my goal was growth (so a bit post-game, but maybe nothing prolific) I'd consider how many people ski SB, look at other mountains with similar profiles and how big their bars are then build one that could fit 50% more. Then I'd go build all my new lodging, offer a 20's season pass and a quad pack and fill that bad boy up. Sorry. Maybe got a little too humorous there. "fill that space up.". Sorry got a little snarky there. Can't help. Too big of an ego.

Anyways I think your point about not infringing on the cafeteria is correct. They couldn't reduce that space without having a direct impact on the lunch crowd. I also agree that getting rid of those giant round tables might help the flow, but if you want to sit there and still tell me that size doesn't matter, or that it's a decent size or that the CRP was just in the pool and there was some shrinkage I can't go along with it. Hey I'm fine I guess sitting there drinking my Captain and Cokes. I get my drinks so I guess that's all that matters right? So I should just ignore it all and everyone else should figure it out themselves or move on with their wallets. Screw it then. You guys are on your own.

Win that space is awesome. I get my drinks and have a great time with my friends and Shawn and Rich are the best bartenders I know. (There is nothing sarcastic in any of those preceding statements. 100% true. My wife bakes them brownies on a regular basis as a thank you) Don't change a thing I'm good. Big fan too!!

I understand what you are trying to say but there are many people on here that expressed concerns from day one when they first showed the buildings layout in sketches. That is not Monday morning. We have always thought that this layout was bad and would never work. I am not sure if you know this but when they first opened up it was only the bar side that was constructed. They added the other side with the fireplace and booths with the concrete patio above the next year because they realized it was not ever close to being big enough. It is well documented that both the lodge and the bar are far too small for the capacity of the mountain. I think that they may have designed with the intent of one day having an additional lodge at the top of Gate house lift and maybe another Bar In one of the retail spaces in a new building. To say that it there are no issues with the design is not seeing the situation clearly. But for now some creative serving options like separate beer stands would help ease the crush at the bar and get people their drinks a lot faster.

Hawk - Given the layout of the bar where would you see the beer stands being setup? Would they be semi-permanent stations that would allow them to set up a bit better (i.e. small space for extra kegs, cups, etc so a bar back isn't running back and forth through the crowd every 10 minutes) or very mobile like a single kegorator pouring out Longtrail and Singlechair only. Cash only single serve or ability to start tabs and have card readers?

I'm just thinking along two lines.

One the place is pretty tight so to take additional space for a beer station, even if just a kegorator with cash only service and no tabs might have a negative effect. You'd need at the very least a space for cups to be setup and maybe a cash register unless they go totally mobile with cash in apron approach and sleeves of cups at the feet. There'd also be a line formed up which takes away from standing space which is limited. I'm not sure where this would go.

The other is if you're going to take up the space anyways might as well build a very small bar section in a corner (or along the wall opposite the bar so you have 3 sides - get rid of the round tables there and make them all hightop 4's or 6's) with limited stock. Really just a person surrounded by bar. 5 feet by 5 feet? Maybe 3-4 beers on tap and a couple specialty drinks that could rotate every week so they only need 5-6 bottles of liquor at any given time with pre-mixed mixer. Just add booze You could wire it up to the same computer system they take orders on so it wouldn't have to be cash only. The point being if you are taking up space anyways maybe a bit more would be worth it to have more options and divert more people away.

No idea really. Just thinking out loud. Something is needed, but I'm not sure it's just the ability to get a beer. I think a lot has to do with once you get one what do you do. I often see people just shrunk up trying to make themselves small as they're bumped and knocked into trying to enjoy the drink they just got. Remember the old tent off the cafeteria on the gate house lodge. Maybe something similar on the outdoor patio during peak season. A semi-permanent structure. A couple of propane heaters in there (can you use those in an enclosed space?) Then you'd have place for a few beer stations.