Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    So in essence, our ski area is telling us the lifts are constantly screwed up because it's cold and snowy. On boy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"North Lynx is closed for today due to high winds. Green Mountain Express will likely be delayed this morning, but should run at full speed when it opens."

From the 6:30 am report. Am I the only one who thinks something is amiss with NL, It was windy yesterday, but quite possibly broken as well. The NRX troubles are no surprise, remember the issues it had when it was first installed.

The North Lynx has been running fine all week. It was very windy in places yesterday; for example, GMX very windy, Summit not. Just wondering, were you here or just reading the report and speculating? North Ridge was running fine all day but GMX was waiting for parts and running slower and I saw one chair needed walking around the top wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Figure View Post
    "North Lynx is closed for today due to high winds. Green Mountain Express will likely be delayed this morning, but should run at full speed when it opens."

From the 6:30 am report. Am I the only one who thinks something is amiss with NL, It was windy yesterday, but quite possibly broken as well. The NRX troubles are no surprise, remember the issues it had when it was first installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Figure View Post

North Lynx has been running good all season (knock on wood). It's closure yesterday was due to wind. For a while, Heaven's Gate was also on windhold, but it reopened. Usually in a wind hold situation on an upper mountain lift, it will be "held onto" until around 1pm, then a decision is made whether or not to hold out hope for the wind to die down, or close it for the day. In the case of Slide Brook, some days it is closed right off the bat due to the temps. It doesn't run if the temps are below + 5 F. If temps aren't forecasted to get that high at mid, it is oftentimes closed early in the day.

Rode "NRE" several times yesterday and it ran fine... no problems. GMX was running on slow but it is still a faster speed than Summit and the old "slug". And luckily, I only had to ride it once. Given how good Semi-Tough was, I would've ridden it again if it was running "at speed", but there was plenty of other stuff that was good.

I appreciate the passion and support of many of you but not the continued cynicism of some of you, so this will be my last lift comment for the season. ALmost all of the lifts have been running well this season, I explained what happened with NRX. It seems that Murphy's Law was in play with GMX. We had an input card fail and needed Poma to reprogram it once a new one arrived. We did get permission to run it at half speed once the problem was diagnosed because it is still faster than Inverness at that speed. As you all know Inverness gets you to NRX, so the entire mountain iwas accessible. GMX was delayed yesterday morning so Poma could could do the reprogramming that morning. They were not available the evening before after the card arrived. We opened Inverness until that was completed. This type of thing happens. It is not foreseeable or preventable. It is bad luck it occurred on the day NRX was running again and that Poma was stuck fixing a lift at another resort so could not get here as soon as we would have liked.

As someone said, I appreciate why evereyone is so sensistive to eery single stop, but the proof will be in the pudding from here out.

My final word is this, all the investments we made this summer are paying off. We have the best Head Mechanic we have had since buying the resort, and he has a good and competent team who want nothing more than to keep every lift running all the time. But lifts are complicated electrical and mechanical machines and yes, weather will impact all lifts at all resorts at times. These guys climb towers in below zero weather to repair a wire, chip ice, replace a sheave wheel, etc. I for one appreciate all that they do.

Win

We all know that the nature of all blogs today, whether they are ski blogs or not is to bitch and moan about everything. Sometimes enough is enough for sure. I imagine that some folks here may go into deep withdrawal without your very informational lift(s) update fixes and the other mountain information that you disseminate to us. I appreciate them and hope that you do elect to keep information flowing.

On another note, I participate in a number of blogs relating to our 16.5 mile short line railroad enterprise. Imagine fielding Q&A from abutters who claim they were advised that the railroad would never run. I would gladly change places with you.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Stan, Will do! Thanks.

Mark this date 2/8/15 first day all lifts at Sugarbush did not have a major problem good work TEAM

I saw on the mobile app north ridge down again.

SUGARBUSH'S DAILY SNOW REPORT

Slide Brook closed for the day. North Lynx is closed for the day due to wind. NR is temporarily closed for maint.
    Today's Snow Report

Saturday, February 21st, 2015
    1:45 PM

From a normally reliable source, I have the following to report: "Win is going to pour blood from a live chicken on NRX in hopes of getting it running again." Thanks, N---.

I got two runs on the nrx before it went down in the morning. They had to switch the generator on and run it out. Saw it was running again later but by the time I made it there, it was shut down.
    Skiing was awesome.

I started at south yesterday things were on win hold so I took the slidebrook exp to North got there took the north ridge got stuck for 1/2 hr in the wind and cold temps at least we didn't have to evacuate but it opened again and I got stuck again another 20 min off load THANKS

ouch!
    Did you get some kind of a voucher? if you did, my daughter was one of those handing them out. She said one guy was super pissed, got off the lift and was yelling at her. She was like, hey man, I'm 14 years old, what do you want from me.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    ouch!
    Did you get some kind of a voucher? if you did, my daughter was one of those handing them out. She said one guy was super pissed, got off the lift and was yelling at her. She was like, hey man, I'm 14 years old, what do you want from me.
    Here's what happened. An electrical fault tripped the E-Brake and we could not get a reset so had to use
    The auxiliary diesel to clear the lift. It was in the new drive and not apparent what caused it. Calling Dopplemayr
    they thought it might have overheated given the torque of a full lift and wind. It reset when empty and we
    reloaded, ran two revolutions with some stops. No problem so we opened it. Same thing happened. With
    overheating ruled out Dopplemayr suggested that the electrical pattern maximum might be set to low. We checked
    What they had set it out and they told up to increase it as that would still be well within the designed safety tolerance. We did
    and reopened. Our Head of Lift Msintenance sat with the lift for a few hours Sunday so that seems to
    have been the problem. Hopefully we don't need the chicken blood.