Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heart of winter

Heart of winter

Appears they are resurfacing ripcord and birch run.

Brambles, pulled the hoses apparently. nice.

MntMan4Bush says they are blowing sh*tloads of snow on Monkey Paw. That it will be epic to ski.

Very cold out there this weekend. I put everything I owned on and that was just about right. Anyway ripchord snowmaking was very good yesterday and it is still on this morning. Skied great. I am also psyched to see the guns on Steins this morning. I saw the little heads lights last night going down the run. They groomed and then turned on the guns. Both gonna be good this morning!
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Another Cold Weekend. I managed to do the Fri-Sat-Sun thing this weekend. Friday ski club was by far the best of the year. Saw all the familiar midweek faces. We skied all over and found some good fresh snow. Saturday and Sunday were also good if you just kept moving and stayed on bumps or woods. Too cold for bullet/GS type runs. I will say that the cold kept the lines just right.

One observation I have from this weekend is that people of all abilities are heading out everywhere into the woods. Unfortunately some are in way over their heads. Three times on Saturday and Sunday I had to give directions to people actually snow plowing in the woods. No kidding. One Guy and his wife missed the bottom traverse at Elevator shaft and struggled about 1 hour they said to get back up to the traverse. I saw the tracks and then found them a ways down near the bottom on Door # 1. They asked me how to get to the bus. I guided them back but wow. They actually had a hard time on the traverse. Not good. Be smart people.

About 8" down and still snowing @ base of ME

Today was superific. Cold shmold. I was taking my last run around 3:15 when I noticed cr was back up running. Irresistible. Lots of snow in them there woods. Conditions don't get much better than this (or can they?). Get it while the getting us good.

there is not much to complain about right now. The snow just keeps coming!! I can't figure out which day to play hookie because it's been so good lately.

Only one solution. Just quit work. Work is overrated anyway.

A train of storms looks to hit starting tomorrow. By Monday night they are saying that we may get up to 2'. That would be sweet!

Matt Noyes morning weather forecast calls for 18 inches over Saturday through Monday' particularly on Sunday with most on Monday.

Remember that today is the anniversary of the Blizzard of 1978. I was not even a downhill skier back then, but I do remember cross country skiing through the streets of Newton.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Another huge weekend of skiing Pow. We did a little bit of everything. With more and more snow things are opening up and it is time for some serious exploring. Got my eye on a few gems. Just need the right crew. Time for people to start back up with trip reports. They do not need to be on that separate main title. We do not have enough of them to separate them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Another huge weekend of skiing Pow. We did a little bit of everything. With more and more snow things are opening up and it is time for some serious exploring. Got my eye on a few gems. Just need the right crew. Time for people to start back up with trip reports. They do not need to be on that separate main title. We do not have enough of them to separate them out.
    The woods are buried. explore indeed. correct if im wrong but my recollection is that its been a few seasons since we've had a snowpack like this.

What is everybody's feelings on the grooming on natural snow trails like Castlerock, Cottilion, Lower Rumble and lower Middle Earth, Moonshine and Lexi's? There are two trains of thought. It will even out the snow and make it last longer and wear more uniformly once it warms up. Or It ruins the naturally forming bumps and makes it easier for intermediate skiers to ski on Black Diamond terrain. My personal opinion is that there is enough groomed terrain and the grooming does ruin the bumps. I do not care what anyone says they never form the same once they are groomed. I also think it changes the dynamic over at the rock. Now it is not as tough and you can actually go up there and ski it top to bottom even if you are not an expert skier.

I'd prefer that they focus grooming efforts on groomers with snowmaking. I love steep groomed trails, but I see trails like Steins and Ripcord providing that fuction. It makes no sense to me to groom trails like Moonshine and Castlerock Run.

However, if the bumps under there are solid ice, it may be best to mow them down mid-season and let the process start over. Some of those bumps were hard as rock earlier this year. Maybe rolling it evens out the base and preserves it. If grooming it out enables the trail to be skied longer into the spring, I'm for it.

Like most things, I'm guessing "it depends".
    Last edited by southvillager; 02-16-2015 at 08:27 AM.