Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New VH lift

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    Agree that early season, elevation is a major issue.

As for spring, of note, spring fling got the new pipe and towers so one would think they made more snow there than in the past.
    Other mountains have handled this issue. It would be worth while for them to figure it out when the new VH gets a home.
    Last edited by angler; 01-08-2015 at 11:29 PM.

Snowball faces south and melts so quickly that Fling would not be an option....unless they brought back the Spring Fling Triple!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dblshot View Post
    Snowball faces south and melts so quickly that Fling would not be an option....unless they brought back the Spring Fling Triple!!!
    Leave VH where it is.....put a new lift from the bottom (below VH-Lodge to left) to the top of Spring Fling. Bury Stein's and Spring Fling, ski till June. Beers and BBQ in front of the VH-Lodge......Spring Fling !!!

Layoff Rumble or the kids will get you! -

I remember maybe 6 years back or so on an early weekend in the season where they had Spring Fling open early and were blasting it with guns. Just carpeting it and doing a good job of it with good quality stuff. There wasn't much else open, or at least much else that was good, so we cycled that thing all day. It bumped up really nice and had some great lines in it. It may not have the steepness of Steins, but it was still a fantastic run. Haven't seen it like that since, but to be fair I don't ski it very often so it may well have been just as good since.

Anyways I think of it every now and again as a spring skiing option for this reason. Oh and the fact its called SPRING fling. I mean if it was called mid-january fling I wouldn't give it another thought. So maybe just make it a signature trail, put the guns on it and upper snowball from December to Feb and don't turn them off. Pile snow up on it 5 stories high and we'll be skiing into August baby!

Honestly he lives like a pauper in there. Get the man a crystal chandelier or something. Class that joint up!!!!

Tin, I don't thing you understand what I am saying. The Temperature and/or elevation will not make any difference if they turned on the guns on steins, or Spring Fling or ever snowball and ran them for say two weeks. the snow depth would be like 20 feet deep. Nothing is going to melt that. That is what they do on Super star and White Heat to make them last til June. It has absolutely nothing to do with Aspect or elevation. Have you seen this operation before? Also Steins has the same aspect as Mt. Ellen by the way. North by Northeast.

[QUOTE=Tin Woodsman;224475]I think we'll need to agree to disagree on this. Superstar base/KBL is at 2500' - a lot closer to the elevation of Glen House (3000') than the base of LP (1600'). Coffee Run usually runs into trouble before Stein's itself. I'd rather sacrifice a little in terms of spring bumps duration in order to get a nice, interesting cruiser in Lower Rim Run - sure beats a flat run out in Coffee Run. Obviously snowmaking commitment/budget is a huge factor. But I think we have to assume that's a constant here as between LP and ME. With superior elevation and aspect, ME would win out. How many times have you looked at the Monroe Skyline while coming across a muddy Roxbury Gap in the Spring to see upper mtn at ME bathed in snow while LP is mostly melted out? Given that the top of Stein's is lower than Glen House, elevation is a pretty big factor in this case, IMHO.=Quote]
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by MntMan4Bush View Post
    I remember maybe 6 years back or so on an early weekend in the season where they had Spring Fling open early and were blasting it with guns. Just carpeting it and doing a good job of it with good quality stuff. There wasn't much else open, or at least much else that was good, so we cycled that thing all day. It bumped up really nice and had some great lines in it. It may not have the steepness of Steins, but it was still a fantastic run. Haven't seen it like that since, but to be fair I don't ski it very often so it may well have been just as good since.

Anyways I think of it every now and again as a spring skiing option for this reason. Oh and the fact its called SPRING fling. I mean if it was called mid-january fling I wouldn't give it another thought. So maybe just make it a signature trail, put the guns on it and upper snowball from December to Feb and don't turn them off. Pile snow up on it 5 stories high and we'll be skiing into August baby!
    Spring fling is a great run in the spring time. Bumps up nicely with great views and sun!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Tin, I don't thing you understand what I am saying. The Temperature and/or elevation will not make any difference if they turned on the guns on steins, or Spring Fling or ever snowball and ran them for say two weeks. the snow depth would be like 20 feet deep. Nothing is going to melt that. That is what they do on Super star and White Heat to make them last til June. It has absolutely nothing to do with Aspect or elevation. Have you seen this operation before? Also Steins has the same aspect as Mt. Ellen by the way. North by Northeast.
    I think I understood what you're saying - I just disagree. As you pointed out, aspect is pretty much the same. Given the same amount of snowmaking time (assuming they blow equal hours/gallons/whatever at either venue), the much higher elevation of FIS/Rim Run vs. Steins/Coffee Run will result in the oppty for a materially longer season.

I think we both agree that if they made a bigger commitment to a late Spring with a longer snowmaking run, then they'd gain an extra few weeks wherever they choose to focus Spring ops. I'm just saying that those extra few weeks would run later on the calendar if the venue was ME vs LP due to elevation.

They don't want to go later in the season, let Killington have it. No money to be made, in fact it's a loss. I have come around on the Steins spring run especially with a lower VH lift, that will make the Gatehouse facilities they want and are using much convenient.

They don't want to go later in the season, let Killington have it. No money to be made, in fact it's a loss. I have come around on the Steins spring run especially with a lower VH lift, that will make the Gatehouse facilities they want and are using much convenient.
    This is probably the right way to think about it. While I remain convinced that ME could offer a materially longer season, the better question is whether that's even the right goal (I think we all agree it's just not happening either way). If the goal is just to go "late enough" so as to be in the conversation with the last handful of resorts in early May, then the new VH lift definitely offers opportunities to make that a better experience.

If the goal were to one day switch to being "last man standing", then I remain convinced that ME is the way to go.

Exactly.

Lots of viewpoints to this thread named "New VH lift" and no one seems to think it is a bad idea. Consensus! Skimrv says new VH lift is a good thing!

Good because we are moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by win View Post
    Good because we are moving forward.
    Woo hoo!