Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New VH lift

There is a story here but I am afraid to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by MntMan4Bush View Post
    I won't be back up until the weekend of the 24th sadly. It may have been we've been only 10 feet away, but my vision only goes 9 feet and drops sharply after a few captain and cokes. I'm up for a beer with anyone. I'm an equal opportunist when it comes to drinking. Except for Llamas. Filthy animals. Won't drink with them. Not ever again. Well unless they're buying. Then maybe one.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

I think I want to have a few beers with MtnMan4Bush! Not looking like this weekend though...
    Quote Originally Posted by MntMan4Bush View Post
    I won't be back up until the weekend of the 24th sadly. It may have been we've been only 10 feet away, but my vision only goes 9 feet and drops sharply after a few captain and cokes. I'm up for a beer with anyone. I'm an equal opportunist when it comes to drinking. Except for Llamas. Filthy animals. Won't drink with them. Not ever again. Well unless they're buying. Then maybe one.

Won't be up this weekend as I have a family commitment. Worked out pretty well considering the conditions.
    Always up for a beer or 3.

Ahhhh that's right. Triple F. Forced Family Fun!
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

I'd love to meet some of the "characters" form this forum. I'm up most weekends. It would also be great if we can throw some skiing in.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Ahhhh that's right. Triple F. Forced Family Fun!
    yes, minus the fun part.

I am sure the Spring season is one major reason for the new VH lift and taking down to the base. While I loved the early/late season at the top of MT Ellen, I agree that good spring skiing is about snowmaking (and exposure) not elevation. And I would take Steins over FIS.

Quote Originally Posted by sglatham View Post
    I am sure the Spring season is one major reason for the new VH lift and taking down to the base. While I loved the early/late season at the top of MT Ellen, I agree that good spring skiing is about snowmaking (and exposure) not elevation. And I would take Steins over FIS.
    I'd like to see this. Spring Fling and Steins both have a similar northern exposure. The VH Quad servicing that section of the mountain in April would be very cool. Even Twist/Moonshine/Eden if they hold up or get late snow. They could use the Gatehouse Lodge since the loading for the new quad will be lower.

It would be great for early season as well. There would be a lot more options for people and less congested.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Tin, I think you know that spring skiing length of season has very little to do with elevation anymore. Just look at Superstar. If they concentrated on Steins with more snowmaking all year I bet they could rival Killington on the Length of season. Just pile it up. And with the new quad they will have no issues with lines or the speed of the lift. Because of the setup at the Bush, we will never have a good viewing venue of the actual skiing but there are certainly things they can do to make the spring skiing better. I have never liked the Mt. Ellen spring set up. Even when I skied here in the 80's when they actually ended the season there. I guess my perspective is a bumpers perspective from Sunday River. White Heat is what I grew up on. Skiing WH until June some years was a treat. We had a portable grill and never came down to the lodge. It was a huge production every weekend with about 100 people lugging food and beer up to the trail. Sugarbush to me is a total upgrade as far as the ease of the logistics. But I want a long straight trail with some steepness to pound bumps in the spring. Steins is just about perfect. Even better than WH and Superstar as far as steep consistent vertical. So the only thing we need to work on is the Food and party piece.
    I think we'll need to agree to disagree on this. Superstar base/KBL is at 2500' - a lot closer to the elevation of Glen House (3000') than the base of LP (1600'). Coffee Run usually runs into trouble before Stein's itself. I'd rather sacrifice a little in terms of spring bumps duration in order to get a nice, interesting cruiser in Lower Rim Run - sure beats a flat run out in Coffee Run. Obviously snowmaking commitment/budget is a huge factor. But I think we have to assume that's a constant here as between LP and ME. With superior elevation and aspect, ME would win out. How many times have you looked at the Monroe Skyline while coming across a muddy Roxbury Gap in the Spring to see upper mtn at ME bathed in snow while LP is mostly melted out? Given that the top of Stein's is lower than Glen House, elevation is a pretty big factor in this case, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by sglatham View Post
    The new lift location will certainly make the spring set-up more straightforward and compact - all roads lead to the true base.

Quote Originally Posted by southvillager View Post
    I'd like to see this. Spring Fling and Steins both have a similar northern exposure. The VH Quad servicing that section of the mountain in April would be very cool. Even Twist/Moonshine/Eden if they hold up or get late snow. They could use the Gatehouse Lodge since the loading for the new quad will be lower.
    They do keep Spring Fling open pretty late - it's the last to go before Stein's. The issue is the easterly exposure of Snowball in order to get there - that's what goes first.

Quote Originally Posted by angler View Post
    It would be great for early season as well. There would be a lot more options for people and less congested.
    For early season, elevation seems to matter a lot more, so I'd be surprised if they went down this route. How many times have we heard Win talk about "we started on OG/Ripcord and then came down the mtn as temps allowed". My guess is that you'd average at least a one week later opening if early season is on the VH pod.

Quote Originally Posted by angler View Post
    Good point. Early season I'd much rather ski Snowball/Steins/Spring fling than Jester/Downspout/Lower Downspout/Coffee Run or Gondolier. The runout from the bottom of the triple back to Super Bravo is long and boring...and I imagine requires a tremendous amount of snowmaking juice.

This new quad could be a game changer.

Quote Originally Posted by southvillager View Post
    Good point. Early season I'd much rather ski Snowball/Steins/Spring fling than Jester/Downspout/Lower Downspout/Coffee Run or Gondolier. The runout from the bottom of the triple back to Super Bravo is long and boring...and I imagine requires a tremendous amount of snowmaking juice.

This new quad could be a game changer.
    This is a good point. If the goal is always to be "top to bottom" and avoid downloading on Bravo, then maybe VH lift becomes a better option in that light.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman View Post
    For early season, elevation seems to matter a lot more, so I'd be surprised if they went down this route. How many times have we heard Win talk about "we started on OG/Ripcord and then came down the mtn as temps allowed". My guess is that you'd average at least a one week later opening if early season is on the VH pod.
    Right, elevation, forgot about that. Oh well.

I get the elevation issue and with that being said other mountains do that. Look at Stowe they get the mountain ready from top to bottom. Understanding that they really don't have a choice, but it gets done. Also you could move over to birdland and murph, dominio ect ect. Then you would really have a strong opening with lots of options.. I know it's counter intuitive but it would be a significant improvement in the experience then doing what happens now at opening IMO. Just thinking out of the box.

Agree that early season, elevation is a major issue.

As for spring, of note, spring fling got the new pipe and towers so one would think they made more snow there than in the past.