Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New VH lift

Well Dude, there are just people out there that don't like conflict. They don't like any friction or criticism. There are also people who defend the management of the mountain to a blind fervor. Those are the people who rub me. Stan is on one side of the spectrum. He truly is a kind person who just wants to ski and have as little fiction as possible. I have met him and I fully understand where he comes from. There are others who I don't know and have never made the effort to even come down to the CR and have a drink with us and understand who we are and where our heads are at. Those people would never understand that we actually love skiing here, spend most of our time here and pretty much live the Sugarbush life. Criticizing the Mountain is like getting on a sibling or best friend. It's not done to be mean, it is done because you think they can do better. I think the banter to some extent is good. it's lets the Mountain know that we are watching and will not be fooled and if we are not then most likely most other are not. Yes some of this is foolish and I do not have any overall solutions for the foolishness.

Quote Originally Posted by MntMan4Bush View Post
    Ranting? Perhaps you're embellishing a bit. I just find it amusing as I've said a few times. Sorry I brought it up and that it offends you so much and gets your panties in a twist. Actually not sorry. I enjoy twisted panties. What the hell can Win do obviously? It was hardly a criticism. It's an observation. You haven't noticed it? I'm not asking if it angers you or you want it changed. I'm asking if you've observed it. I would hope you have. Kind of hard to miss. You know. What with the uphill and all. I'll be sure to post next how I find that the smoke on the outdoor deck always seems to blow north and I'm concerned with what they plan on doing about it. Does that agitate you? Maybe if you're tired you should go to sleep. Or lighten up a bit. Not everything posted is an actual complaint that you have to jump on the SB bandwagon about and defend. Save it for the snow making threads. Though even I'd concede that there was good snow making done over the holiday week. Now if they could just touch up the paint job on Rumbles doghouse out side of Timbers then I'd be happy. I mean no one has noticed it? The things a disgrace. I don't know how he lives in there. It's a bloody hovel.

(See what I did there. )
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by MntMan4Bush View Post
    Ranting? Perhaps you're embellishing a bit. I just find it amusing as I've said a few times. Sorry I brought it up and that it offends you so much and gets your panties in a twist. Actually not sorry. I enjoy twisted panties. What the hell can Win do obviously? It was hardly a criticism. It's an observation. You haven't noticed it? I'm not asking if it angers you or you want it changed. I'm asking if you've observed it. I would hope you have. Kind of hard to miss. You know. What with the uphill and all. I'll be sure to post next how I find that the smoke on the outdoor deck always seems to blow north and I'm concerned with what they plan on doing about it. Does that agitate you? Maybe if you're tired you should go to sleep. Or lighten up a bit. Not everything posted is an actual complaint that you have to jump on the SB bandwagon about and defend. Save it for the snow making threads. Though even I'd concede that there was good snow making done over the holiday week. Now if they could just touch up the paint job on Rumbles doghouse out side of Timbers then I'd be happy. I mean no one has noticed it? The things a disgrace. I don't know how he lives in there. It's a bloody hovel.

(See what I did there. )
    sorry I didnt get your attempt at humorous observations. carry on.

fwiw- I'm going to start getting real crabby if we dont get some serious snow soon.

Well the beauty of this is I never take anything I see on the internet too seriously. In the past week I've had 8 relatives that live in foreign countries pass away leaving me huge inheritances. I'm rich suckers. They'll all be wiring it into my account through a bank in Uganda tomorrow. Rounds are on me.

I mean the fact that it's seen as ranting to think about if we had a time machine (not initiated by me by the way. Just piggy backing) and how cool would it be if the lifts were brought up higher in some places and other things done when the mountain was cut and lifts put in is a bit weird. I mean P.S. There are no time machines. Although it is 2015 so perhaps Marty is going to show up on my lawn in 72 nanoseconds. Jumping gigawatts. There he is!!!!

Anyways people shouldn't get too worked up about what they read on the web. We're all a bunch of punters that don't know much of anything, but the web makes us geniuses. Go figure. (statement not the poster profile).

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    sorry I didnt get your attempt at humorous observations. carry on.
    No worries man. These forums keep me busy when I should be doing other things like work. I appreciate their value of distraction.

Have you two met? I know for a fact that you have been drinking in the CR Pub about 10 feet away form each other. HA!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Have you two met? I know for a fact that you have been drinking in the CR Pub about 10 feet away form each other. HA!
    I've been saying for years, we need to do a skimrv get together at the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Wow, I guess my request for more snowmaking on exiting snowmaking trials is a small request.

Can't go back in time. We must go forward. Not much we can do here to affect change. I do agree with some of what you say here but definitely not all of it. The low E guns work fine when they manage them. In fact the whole industry is converting and you will not see anything else in the future. The layout that they have at the base could work fine with the new lift if they manage it well. I would rather see the new lift then not so I will live with what they do. What does Sugarbush have to do with restaurants going out of business? If you are talking about the Warren House, I think the owners just got tired of doing business and closed up. That building sat on the market for a couple of years before the mountain bought it. I own at Lincoln peak so I totally disagree with the whole Mt. Ellen Spring Skiing thing. Besides Steins is a much better option as it is straight fall line and longer than skiing FIS. I enjoy skiing it.

I agree entirely about the Castlerock Pub. Shawn and Rich are good people to me and I enjoy the atmosphere with my friends......but they had a chance to design and build this lodge from the ground up. IMO they totally miss it with the layout. It is way too small, the layout does not work with the amount of people and it has no view. They leave thousands of dollars on the table every weekend because people can not get served and leave or do not come at all. Not the case for me but that is the common complaint. Why they didn't put the pub on the upper level with a huge glass wall look out on the hill is beyond me. My guess is the focus was on the wedding venue and the Pub fell to a secondary status.
    Other than the Spring skiing venue piece (I'll see your point re: length of Stein's vs. FIS and raise you 1) Lower Rim Run > Coffee Run 2) One more month of skiing possible at ME due to elevation), yeah this.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Fugee View Post
    It looks like I'm in the minority, but I will come out and say how I feel, which is strong about this subject.

There is simply not enough room for corrals at the bottom of the hill. It is already a nightmare on a busy day skiing from the VH side over to the Gatehouse side. This won't matter anyway when the chair sits rotting M-F.
    Not sure you've accounted in your mind for the space created by the removal of the mtn ops buildings, though you curiously reference it below. Between that extra space plus some inventive re-grading, I'm quite sure they can make it all work.

And I know clay brookers need to have first tracks on top of a constitutional right to not have to take more than 75 paces to a lift, to not have north be the spring venue even when it makes sense, etc and so on, but that still doesn't make this the "right" choice. Best of a bad situation? Maybe.
    Old news. Not changing any time soon. Call me when you cut a 6 figure check to SB and then let me know how you feel about this issue.

It's probably too late to move Timbers and CB back about 300' to have a normal view of the hill and ease of getting around as a skier that other resorts have the luxury of. The whole base configuration is such that you'd think that Sugarbush was in a box canyon like Telluride.
    Can't disagree here. They whiffed - badly. But that's not changing in this lifetime.

Now we're going to lose another couple of buildings that house patrol and equipment. Where is that stuff supposed to go?
    Hawk covered this well. There is no shortage of locations to move these functions. I'm not even sure why you'd be upset about this.

All these people write stories about going back in time and preventing WWII. Makes sense, but I think I'd make a few stops along the way, first to put CB next to Sugarbush Village and then to convince the maker of "Low-E" guns to do something useful like basket weaving instead. Possibly drop a polite suggestion in the bush comment box about RFID being a better option than the hand scanners. Or at least, have one person scan while other people make the lines move.
    Not even sure what to do with this. It's a mix of some good, but impractical observations (Claybrook location), expensive ideas for consideration (RFID), and ill-informed ranting (Low-E guns).

Now everyone get back to the kissing the status quo's butt like Killington hasn't done a 180 in the past ten years. When Jay got a new Tram and waterpark. And I wonder how Smuggs is going to look when Okemo or Windham gets their hands on it and puts HSQ's from base to summit. They only have ratniks so far but at least they feed them a lot of diesel.
    Right - we are the veritable mouthpiece of SB on this forum. I'd say we are doing something right b/c both sides of this debate are complaining, but the traffic/activity on this forum doesn't exactly back that up.

Sugarbush has done a lot too, like watch almost every decent restaurant go out of business in the valley while the mountain somehow scooped up all the real estate on the access road so we can enjoy $15 cheesesteaks in moms basement at the hill.
    Check your meds.

Not a bad idea as I have met Hawk, been conversing with Howie for years i think wo ever meeting & i think that such a meeting might be about the only way i would venture into the crp; especially since they raised all the food prices to the Timbers level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Tin, I think you know that spring skiing length of season has very little to do with elevation anymore. Just look at Superstar. If they concentrated on Steins with more snowmaking all year I bet they could rival Killington on the Length of season. Just pile it up. And with the new quad they will have no issues with lines or the speed of the lift. Because of the setup at the Bush, we will never have a good viewing venue of the actual skiing but there are certainly things they can do to make the spring skiing better. I have never liked the Mt. Ellen spring set up. Even when I skied here in the 80's when they actually ended the season there. I guess my perspective is a bumpers perspective from Sunday River. White Heat is what I grew up on. Skiing WH until June some years was a treat. We had a portable grill and never came down to the lodge. It was a huge production every weekend with about 100 people lugging food and beer up to the trail. Sugarbush to me is a total upgrade as far as the ease of the logistics. But I want a long straight trail with some steepness to pound bumps in the spring. Steins is just about perfect. Even better than WH and Superstar as far as steep consistent vertical. So the only thing we need to work on is the Food and party piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman View Post
    Other than the Spring skiing venue piece (I'll see your point re: length of Stein's vs. FIS and raise you 1) Lower Rim Run > Coffee Run 2) One more month of skiing possible at ME due to elevation), yeah this.

I will have to introduce you to Mntman, bumpcrasher and Stan. I bet you will say that you have seen them all on the hill and in the bar. As far as meeting, I am at the CR almost every Saturday afternoon unless the skiing is better and I can ski back to my condo. How about the rest of you anonymous lurkers? Staying behind the veil or coming out for a beer?

I'll look for you at beer:30 sometime...but not this weekend. Perhaps we should wear masks (with at least a sipping hole) to protect our anonymity.

I am up for a brew; I think it's a great idea. Not sure if I'll be up this coming weekend or not -- temps combined with a lack of recent snow are a little discouraging right now.

I won't be back up until the weekend of the 24th sadly. It may have been we've been only 10 feet away, but my vision only goes 9 feet and drops sharply after a few captain and cokes. I'm up for a beer with anyone. I'm an equal opportunist when it comes to drinking. Except for Llamas. Filthy animals. Won't drink with them. Not ever again. Well unless they're buying. Then maybe one.