Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New VH lift

Quote Originally Posted by Da Fugee View Post
    It looks like I'm in the minority, but I will come out and say how I feel, which is strong about this subject.

There is simply not enough room for corrals at the bottom of the hill. It is already a nightmare on a busy day skiing from the VH side over to the Gatehouse side. This won't matter anyway when the chair sits rotting M-F.

And I know clay brookers need to have first tracks on top of a constitutional right to not have to take more than 75 paces to a lift, to not have north be the spring venue even when it makes sense, etc and so on, but that still doesn't make this the "right" choice. Best of a bad situation? Maybe. It's probably too late to move Timbers and CB back about 300' to have a normal view of the hill and ease of getting around as a skier that other resorts have the luxury of. The whole base configuration is such that you'd think that Sugarbush was in a box canyon like Telluride.

Now we're going to lose another couple of buildings that house patrol and equipment. Where is that stuff supposed to go? I guess I wouldn't mind if it took over the "CastleRock Pub" if the Valley House Lodge could get some of the attention it deserves. Like music in the mushroom, a view of the incredible mountain, and a far more passable spring venue with bumps on the Mall, fan guns on both sides of the Snowball and Spring Fling, and burgers and beers on the deck where the action is.

I guess I just don't really get the short sighted abomination that is the top of steins, the gate house lodge positioning, and the soon to be civil war battlefield on the Bravo side of the hill.

Oh well.

All these people write stories about going back in time and preventing WWII. Makes sense, but I think I'd make a few stops along the way, first to put CB next to Sugarbush Village and then to convince the maker of "Low-E" guns to do something useful like basket weaving instead. Possibly drop a polite suggestion in the bush comment box about RFID being a better option than the hand scanners. Or at least, have one person scan while other people make the lines move.

Now everyone get back to the kissing the status quo's butt like Killington hasn't done a 180 in the past ten years. When Jay got a new Tram and waterpark. And I wonder how Smuggs is going to look when Okemo or Windham gets their hands on it and puts HSQ's from base to summit. They only have ratniks so far but at least they feed them a lot of diesel. Sugarbush has done a lot too, like watch almost every decent restaurant go out of business in the valley while the mountain somehow scooped up all the real estate on the access road so we can enjoy $15 cheesesteaks in moms basement at the hill.
    I'm not going to address your complaints about everything wrong with this world. I'm sorry that you are such an unhappy person. complaining about the restaurant situation in the MRV and blaming the resort, is truly bizarre. but I guess to each his own.
    your complaint about siting the lift at the base, imho, is misguided. There is plenty of room for a corral that doesnt interfere with that of the superbravo. and as for removing the mountain ops buildings, I'm sure they will find alternate accommodations.
    you've gotta be a pretty miserable sob, not to be happy about replacing a rickety old slow double with a spanking new quad which wont require hucking up to. but, whatever.

I always liked the "rustic" look of the VH and figured so long as it was safe I didn't care what it looked like. But if it's time is up and it helps with uphill capacity then see ya later.

If we're talking about setup I guess I will chime in how it seems that everything you want to do is uphill at SB. Want to ski NL? Just hike up there. SB is just up there, but don't worry VH is just a bit further up. Want to ski Jester or OG. Head on up that hill. (or thank god cut through now for OG) Coming from Bravo or Exterminator after doing FIS. Better build up some speed. Just did upper OG and want to continue on down to lower OG? Have fun. Coming from SB and want to hit the GH chair? I guess not uphill but ski around this crowd through this narrow corridor and then up a bit as you weave through people. From GH to SB? Same thing in reverse. Nothing they can really do now, but if we're going back in time then I might make a few changes. It's not a huge deal by any means and I can always use the work out, but it is comical and all I can think of is the family with kids that skis once or twice a year struggling to get up to jester. I guess they could put the GH lines like they used to feeding form both sides and have one guy organizing.

While we're going back in time I want to meet the person that first raked or mowed their yard. I don't just want to set them right I want to make an example out of them so no one gets any crazy ideas later on in time. "Hey remember that guy who tried raking up all those leaves years ago? Boy. I wouldn't want to be him. Poor guy. I'd never dream of trying that ......".

As for CR Pub it was not well thought out and no one can argue that. I've said it before, and I'm guessing it wouldn't work because of supporting infrastructure, but the rental shop would be a better place. Big windows and at least a view of the mountain, although only GH chair. Not sure if it's bigger or not, but I feel there would be more room to expand and build off it maybe up the hill a bit more and to the looker's right (skier's left). And who can argue that the CR pub doesn't feel like a rental shop space? Maybe make it the rental place with a coffee nook/cafe on the side? Just one guy talking here though.

For spring I like the idea of maybe making Spring Fling a signature trail. Just blast that thing a la Superstar all year long with guns. Then set up some grills and kegs outside and kick back at the Wunderbar. I used to work there a long time back and they'd have the reggae fest up there. I remember once the Budweiser Aerial Assault Team came and did their thing while having beers outside. It was pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by MntMan4Bush View Post
    I always liked the "rustic" look of the VH and figured so long as it was safe I didn't care what it looked like. But if it's time is up and it helps with uphill capacity then see ya later.

If we're talking about setup I guess I will chime in how it seems that everything you want to do is uphill at SB. Want to ski NL? Just hike up there. SB is just up there, but don't worry VH is just a bit further up. Want to ski Jester or OG. Head on up that hill. (or thank god cut through now for OG) Coming from Bravo or Exterminator after doing FIS. Better build up some speed. Just did upper OG and want to continue on down to lower OG? Have fun. Coming from SB and want to hit the GH chair? I guess not uphill but ski around this crowd through this narrow corridor and then up a bit as you weave through people. From GH to SB? Same thing in reverse. Nothing they can really do now, but if we're going back in time then I might make a few changes. It's not a huge deal by any means and I can always use the work out, but it is comical and all I can think of is the family with kids that skis once or twice a year struggling to get up to jester. I guess they could put the GH lines like they used to feeding form both sides and have one guy organizing.

While we're going back in time I want to meet the person that first raked or mowed their yard. I don't just want to set them right I want to make an example out of them so no one gets any crazy ideas later on in time. "Hey remember that guy who tried raking up all those leaves years ago? Boy. I wouldn't want to be him. Poor guy. I'd never dream of trying that ......".

As for CR Pub it was not well thought out and no one can argue that. I've said it before, and I'm guessing it wouldn't work because of supporting infrastructure, but the rental shop would be a better place. Big windows and at least a view of the mountain, although only GH chair. Not sure if it's bigger or not, but I feel there would be more room to expand and build off it maybe up the hill a bit more and to the looker's right (skier's left). And who can argue that the CR pub doesn't feel like a rental shop space? Maybe make it the rental place with a coffee nook/cafe on the side? Just one guy talking here though.

For spring I like the idea of maybe making Spring Fling a signature trail. Just blast that thing a la Superstar all year long with guns. Then set up some grills and kegs outside and kick back at the Wunderbar. I used to work there a long time back and they'd have the reggae fest up there. I remember once the Budweiser Aerial Assault Team came and did their thing while having beers outside. It was pretty sweet.
    yeah its really strange how a mountain requires going up sometimes. Win should've replaced the whole dang thing from lincoln gap to the app gap. couple of trillion tons of concrete maybe would have smoothed things out for you. perhaps you'd prefer one of those indoor ski things in dubai or nj.

Now who's a miserable sob? Was just an observation on my part. As I mentioned "Nothing they can really do, but if we're going back in time". I find it amusing. Lighten up Francis.

CR Pub- maybe just enclose the outdoor deck with an addition and push the outdoor seating into the 12' wide concrete walkway, there a lot of space that does not get used unitl the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by MntMan4Bush View Post
    Now who's a miserable sob? Was just an observation on my part. As I mentioned "Nothing they can really do, but if we're going back in time". I find it amusing. Lighten up Francis.
    Its been said before, but the complaining about everything, gets tiring and is driving people away from this forum. and I have no problem when legitimate issues and criticisms are aired in a constructive manner. But ranting about the topography of the mountain seems to me to be beyond the pale.

Quote Originally Posted by Dblshot View Post
    CR Pub- maybe just enclose the outdoor deck with an addition and push the outdoor seating into the 12' wide concrete walkway, there a lot of space that does not get used unitl the spring.
    i was thinking the same thing. I heated tent might work except for the snow/ice coming off the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    yeah its really strange how a mountain requires going up sometimes. Win should've replaced the whole dang thing from lincoln gap to the app gap. couple of trillion tons of concrete maybe would have smoothed things out for you. perhaps you'd prefer one of those indoor ski things in dubai or nj.
    +1 ,.... thanks for the chuckle

Screw the complaints about bad food, lousy snowmaking and inferior old lifts and ill-conceived new lifts. My opinion is that we all need a dose of reality instead of complaining and acting like prima donnas all the time. Two young US Ski Team racers lost their lives yesterday in Austria in an avalanche. That is something to complain about.....the loss of two "we hardly knew you" lives.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

It is always sad to hear of lives lost to avalanche. All of us who have the privilege of having survived one close call or another should remember our good fortunes. Still, that nor nothing else changes the fact that the CRP venue sucks.

As for the new lift. I say, hell yeah, bring it all the way to the bottom if possible. Only then will be an equal choice with Super Bravo, and it needs to be in order to alleviate the crowding.

Also, I like the new low energy guns because they lower the price point for snow, which can only mean more if it.

Low e guns might also help some ski area stay in business.

Ranting? Perhaps you're embellishing a bit. I just find it amusing as I've said a few times. Sorry I brought it up and that it offends you so much and gets your panties in a twist. Actually not sorry. I enjoy twisted panties. What the hell can Win do obviously? It was hardly a criticism. It's an observation. You haven't noticed it? I'm not asking if it angers you or you want it changed. I'm asking if you've observed it. I would hope you have. Kind of hard to miss. You know. What with the uphill and all. I'll be sure to post next how I find that the smoke on the outdoor deck always seems to blow north and I'm concerned with what they plan on doing about it. Does that agitate you? Maybe if you're tired you should go to sleep. Or lighten up a bit. Not everything posted is an actual complaint that you have to jump on the SB bandwagon about and defend. Save it for the snow making threads. Though even I'd concede that there was good snow making done over the holiday week. Now if they could just touch up the paint job on Rumbles doghouse out side of Timbers then I'd be happy. I mean no one has noticed it? The things a disgrace. I don't know how he lives in there. It's a bloody hovel.

(See what I did there. )

Oh good. This thread has reverted to the norm: we are back to insulting and complaining about each other rather than discussing the issues.

This! Yes that is a great idea. Killington has those round umbrellas and we could have something similar only square with retractable sides to open up in the spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dblshot View Post
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Yes, very sad. I hear these stories and start to wonder how lucky I have been. There have been close calls for me and I have also been in questionable situations in the back country with my wife. I have often thought that the risk sometimes is too great but the call of the snow sirens is all to tempting. it always renews my efforts and thought process about safe back country skiing. I feel for the families and friends.

Stan, it can't be all ice cream and roses all the time. People have to talk about something. Take it all with an open mind. sift through disregard the rest.

QUOTE=gostan;224433]Screw the complaints about bad food, lousy snowmaking and inferior old lifts and ill-conceived new lifts. My opinion is that we all need a dose of reality instead of complaining and acting like prima donnas all the time. Two young US Ski Team racers lost their lives yesterday in Austria in an avalanche. That is something to complain about.....the loss of two "we hardly knew you" lives.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Hawk; 01-07-2015 at 07:42 AM.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!