New Skinning Policy

So the long awaited Skinning policy was released to the company employees. Not sure when it will hit the general public. All I can say is you silly people asked for it and now you got it. IMO it is ridiculously conservative. I have no use for this at all. Sorry that is just how I feel as a responsible qualified skier.

Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Actually, I take it back. This policy is fine. Sorry. It's all good.

I heard some whispers of the policy over the weekend, not sure if what I heard was 100% true though.

I do know that I got booted off north on Saturday

Ducked into slide brook instead and skinned all the way back to south. Beautiful day for it.

We will have a new skinning polciy out shortly and will also host a meeting for those interested to discuss. Basically we want to encourage safe skinning here

On the web

Hiking/Skinning Policy

Change to hiking and skinning policy: Hiking or skinning on designated trails at both Lincoln Peak and Mount Ellen is not permitted before the mountains open for the winter season, nor is hiking or skinning permitted during the operating hours of the resort.

Hiking or skinning is permitted once the mountains are open, before and after operating hours at both mountains, with the following provisions:

At Lincoln Peak
    •between the hours of 5 PM to 10PM on the following trail: Easy Rider to Lower Pushover to Pushover to Birch Run.
    •between the hours of 4AM to 7 AM on the following trails: Racer’s Edge to Lower Snowball to Snowball to the top of the Valley House Chair.
    •Due to plowing, parking for hiking and skinning is provided at Lincoln Peak in the heli lot, to the right of The Schoolhouse.

At Mount Ellen
    •between the hours of 5 PM to 10PM and 4AM to 7AM on the following trails: Easy Does It to Straight Shot to Cruiser to Lower Rim Run to Rim Run.
    •Due to plowing, parking for hiking and skinning is provided at Mt. Ellen in the lot next to the Sunny Double lift

There will be times when skinning and hiking is closed due to weather conditions. Please check the Sugarbush snow report before proceeding.

Hiking and Skinning during operating hours may be authorized under special circumstances (i.e. lift mechanical failure or weather hold, or special events) Hiking or skinning during operating hours on designated trails requires a day ticket or season pass and is only permitted when specifically authorized by the Resort (these routes are only open when the weather and conditions permit). Please call Guest Services at 802-583-6590 for current designated route.

Hikers and skinners must adhere to the following rules:
    •Mountain operations take place AT ALL TIMES. This includes grooming, snowmaking, transportation of materials and personnel, and other activities. STAY AWAY from all resort operations and machinery.
    •Hikers/Skinners must hold a valid “Uphill Travel Pass” available at no cost at the Guest Services desk at Lincoln Peak.
    •Hike and skin in a single-file line, on the side of the trail.
    •Hike and skin on the same trail going up and coming down.
    •Dogs are not allowed.
    •Be aware that there are numerous inherent risks associated with skinning and hiking at the resort.
    •While our lifts may not be running, our mountain is still operating. This includes snowmobiles, grooming machines, snowmaking equipment, winch cats and more.
    •Winching involves a grooming machine hooked up to a long cable under a tremendous amount of force. Our operators will utilize beacon lights when performing this extremely hazardous activity. NEVER GO NEAR A WINCH CAT.
    •Overnight stays on the mountain are prohibited.
    •Do not hike or skin on a closed trail.
    •All Terrain Parks & Park Features are off-limits.
    •Tubing and/or sledding of any kind is prohibited at all times.

What to Know Before You Go:
    •Your Responsibility Code applies at all times. Please follow it.
    •Observe all posted signs and warnings. This includes closed trails. Stay on designated routes only.
    •Never go alone. Always hike in groups of 3. Remember we do not have Ski Patrol services at night.
    •Check the weather forecast before you go. Our mountain weather can change very quickly.
    •Dress appropriately for the conditions.
    •Bring a cell phone with you. In the event of an emergency, call 911. Insure you pay attention to your specific location, including trail names.
    •When hiking in the dark, wear a headlamp and bright, reflective clothing.
    •YOU ASSUME THE RESPONSIBILITY for accessing our ski trails outside of operating hours. In the event you require emergency response, you will be responsible for all costs incurred as a result.

After the mountains have closed for the season, hiking/skinning is permitted.

This new policy is for the benefit of our customers. Disregard for the policy rules and conditions may result in revocation of the skinning and hiking privilege.

Trail Use
    - See more at: http://www.sugarbush.com/snow-trails....PyZVcotE.dpuf

Even though I tour a fair amount I am not for opening up the mountain to the typical non pass holding deadbeats that cry the most for access. Would have been much more impressed if a valid pass was required. What do the nonpaying skiers contribute? Passes and tickets are expensive and pay for all of the services provided. No morning access would also be a win.

I can understand what you are saying GF. To some extent I have selfish thoughts and would love to limit the amount of traffic. But the Free spirit in me says that the mountains are part of the national forest and as such, their should not be any restrictions Whatsoever. They are after all, our mountains. If it was not for the vultures (AKA the insurance industry, lawyers and irresponsible people), we would not have any restrictions. I think MRG has it right.

BTW the mountain is already open to non pass holders now. It will always be open. It is too big to patrol and enforce and the locals are way to smart. Believe me. This will not change a thing. This is just an exercise to protect the interests of the Resort from those that would hurt them.

That is all I have to say on this subject. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by phin View Post
    I heard some whispers of the policy over the weekend, not sure if what I heard was 100% true though.

I do know that I got booted off north on Saturday

Ducked into slide brook instead and skinned all the way back to south. Beautiful day for it.
    Beautiful day to kill ourselves. My pants are looser after that little expedition.