Thread: Tuning Shop

Tuning Shop

So last year I started tuning my (and my wife's) skis. All went fine but it just took a long time and as a weekend warrior, it meant that I was outside for an hour tuning skis after arriving late on a friday -- not ideal. Looking at tuning card options at local shops and not sure I understand how they are priced. Most of the time, I just want edges and wax and don't need a full tune. Worth it to buy a tune card or just do it and pay as needed? The tune cards seem to be a good deal if you are getting a full tune every time but not if you are just sharpening edges and getting them waxed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by El Bishop View Post
    So last year I started tuning my (and my wife's) skis. All went fine but it just took a long time and as a weekend warrior, it meant that I was outside for an hour tuning skis after arriving late on a friday -- not ideal. Looking at tuning card options at local shops and not sure I understand how they are priced. Most of the time, I just want edges and wax and don't need a full tune. Worth it to buy a tune card or just do it and pay as needed? The tune cards seem to be a good deal if you are getting a full tune every time but not if you are just sharpening edges and getting them waxed.

Thanks
    Still offered EB? Which shop?

Last one I used was years ago - $99 for 6 or 8?

Alpine Options and Mountainside offer tuning cards. Todd Carroll at GMVS also offers seasonal full-race tuning packages. Assume Ski Sharp, VTNorth, and Infinite will do something too.

I use Alpine options. I think that the tune they perform is based on how worn your skis are. If they are hammered then they will apply more belt time and edge time to get the ski back to a good working condition. If they are in great shape then you get edge and wax. As far as I can tell there is no "Edge and Wax Only" tune card. The other bonus is that they stay open until 11 on Friday night so that you can drop off when you leave on Sunday and pick up on your way in Friday and not have to deal with it on Saturday morning.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

I have also used Alpine Options Tuning Card in the past. In fact, I have to purchase a new card this season. As Hawk states, the convenience of AO is wonderful for wax and sharp edges to start the weekend. And the discounted price for the multi-use tuning card makes it a bargain for those of us who can wax & sharpen their own skis, but who just want to chill w no hassles. However, I insist that they do not touch my bases. If I need base work, I only go to Mike Desantis, the Ski MD in Framingam, MA.
    Last edited by gostan; 11-26-2014 at 08:04 AM.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Quote Originally Posted by gostan View Post
    I have also used Alpine Options Tuning Card in the past. In fact, I have to purchase a new card this season. As Hawk states, the convenience of AO is wonderful for wax and sharp edges to start the weekend. And the discounted price for the multi-use tuning card makes it a bargain for those of us who can wax & sharpen their own skis, but who just want to chill w no hassles. However, I insist that they do not touch my bases. If I need base work, I only go to Mike Desantis, the Ski MD in Framingam, MA.
    Mike, yes, once a year , but $89 is a bit steep for tree skiing - if you race, are extremely conscientious of your time on the course, etc. i do feel the difference in his tunes, but geez, the way I ski - anything/anytime because I'm a cheap slut when it comes to snow( rocks,roots,unmarked tree runs etc) I just can justify more than the annual MD tune.

So the question remains - how much - AO I like, purchased there before, but it's been years - and are the cards transferable ( wife, kids, friend, etc.)?

Thanks in advance all, Happy Thanksgiving!

Looks like a foot or more: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...t#.VHXZB00tC70

AO does a great job, the punch card is simply that. A 10 tune card is about 280.00 so, 28/shot. Drop off 3 prs and its three punches. Pretty straight forward. For JWT you just need some edges for the rocks, roots and below the surface junk. As for a major tune (a la the MD) not worth it for most skiers and really most racers. Until you are a top skier...................it's not the tune. Enjoy the snow.

I would not have Mike tune my rock skis. But, if I am in the trees later in the season and do some damage on my regular quiver skis, I would not hesitate to have him deal with it. The skis are just to expensive to not make that investment. On the AO tune card, as long as the card holder brings the skis in, they will punch your card and tune them, until you run out of punches.

Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

If you really want a good tune, go see Graham at Edgewise in Stowe: http://www.edgewiseskiservice.com

Why would you drive 45 minutes to Edgewise when there are very good people in the valley? I'm sure he is good but just sayin.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!