Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    I can understand the frustration on this one but believe it or not I can't blame the mountain. The report I got was that one of the wheels on the towers somewhere failed so they have to replace it. They had the part so they had to bring the part up Climb the tower and replace the wheel. In my opinion this is not something that could not have been caught and it does occur at every mountain. The lift was down for half a day.

I will chalk this up as HG is jinxed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Njski View Post
    Heavens Gate is down on maintenance delay on another prime Saturday.

Reality is defined by cause and effect relationships overlaid with random occurrence. In the short run, one cannot easily separate out the random events from those driven by the structured patterns that are governed by cause and effect. However, as maintenance issues continue to accumulate with regularity, it is beginning to stretch credulity that those maintenance issues are "unlucky" random occurrences. The breakdowns increasingly appear to be a pattern that is the result of real underlying root causes. No one should be under the illusion that things will get better until those root causes are identified and remediated. I am hopeful that management is not under that illusion.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

One of the Tower was hit hard my snow from one of the towers. The wind shifted during the night and froze a sheave wheel. It opened and ran for about a half an hour and then an alert patroller riding the lift felt the chair running roughly and called for an inspection. When the tower was climbed our mechanic saw that the sheave had been damaged by the ice should to be replaced. On further examination they realized that all four had been damaged and should to be replaced. While the lift could have run that would have been risky and could have resulted in a de-roping. So the right call was made to replace all four. It takes about 30-40 minutes to replace a sheave so that was the cause for the delay yesterday. Heaven's Gate has essentially been rebuilt except for the metal and has been running beautifully.

North Lynx was a huge effort to get ready because of the heavy snow on all the chairs and the ramps and the prior day we said the lift would open at 10am which it did.

The two final overhauls are occurring on Sunny D and Northridge. Like Heaven's Gate Northridge is essentially being rebuilt by Dopplemayr - new drive, new communications line and new electronics,
    The custom communications lines were over two weeks delayed in shipment from Europe so Dopplemayr has been working overtime to try to catch up and have it ready on time.

Better to hear the bloggers bitch than to de-rope. Gotta be safe first.

Thanks for the update, Win. We all hope that your capitalization of the lift systems pays dividends in decreased down time and increased safety margin.

Nature has given Sugarbush a wonderful start to the season. May trends continue!

Absolutely right! Would not want to be on a chair that the cable falls off. I have seen video of that and it does not look very fun. It sort of looks like a chair on a bungee chord. if you don't hit the ground you get severely tossed around.

BTW - people on message boards are not referred to as Bloggers. A blog is a very specific posting that is maintained by one person. Like Win's Word or the Stoke exchange. Those are Blogs. This is a message board, we are a community. Everybody has the right to post, comment or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by sglatham View Post
    Better to hear the bloggers bitch than to de-rope. Gotta be safe first.

BTW we went to Mad River Glen on Sunday. I think it had to be one of my best days there in a long time. There was no one there. We skied top to bottom and got right back on the singe. Coverage was excellent and everything was open except upper Paradise. I can't remember coverage that good this early.

I am really happy to see our neighbor open this early. They had a tough start last year. This storm was great for them. Glad you are spreading the word Hawk.

Win
    Speaking about openings, is Mt. Ellen's opening scheduled for this Friday or this Saturday? Website states that Mt. Ellen park opens on Friday the 19th, but is silent on opening of balance of moutain. The conditions at Lincoln peak were fabulous this past weekend. Thx.

Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Quote Originally Posted by gostan View Post
    Win
    Speaking about openings, is Mt. Ellen's opening scheduled for this Friday or this Saturday? Website states that Mt. Ellen park opens on Friday the 19th, but is silent on opening of balance of moutain. The conditions at Lincoln peak were fabulous this past weekend. Thx.
    Per this afternoon's snow report:
    Get excited for this weekend! Mt. Ellen will be opening Friday, December 19th, while Sunny D and the Slide Brook Express are scheduled for Saturday, December 20th. If temps stay cold we're hoping we can be 100% open for the weekend.
    With that, I'm guessing Friday what we won't have is Sunny D, including the park. If it's a "soft" opening, it just very well may be GMX and Summit and possibly North Ridge. Saturday, it's looking like everything will be open. 100% is the plan. I'm guessing conditions will be pretty sweet over at Ellen.

But forget Ellen for the moment: conditions continue to be pretty sweet at Lincoln. For those who were out today, if you didn't make it to Heaven's Gate, you were missing out. It was like 3 different mountain weather zones out there: cold on the lower half, mid mountain had some fog, and the upper 2/3 of Heaven's Gate was basking in 40 degrees of an inversion, under a bluebird sky and soft snow. The conditions on Ripcord were sublime. I also found Upper OG and Spills to be VERY enjoyable as well. Worst visibility I found was over on the Valley House side. Snowball was like riding through the fog. But very enjoyable.

I've never seen a non-holiday weekday with so many people taking pics at the top of Heaven's Gate. I'll post one a bit later on, but it was quite the view, with the mountain peaks poking out beneath a sea of clouds and fog.

after staying away from heaven's gate since friday, it was a real treat to ski it today.

Skied hg before and after the outage Saturday. The visibility was nill. Worst I can recall. Benski said paradise was good. Didn't try going up there Sunday.

Welcome to the 2014/2015 Season

Quote Originally Posted by shadyjay View Post
    Per this afternoon's snow report:

With that, I'm guessing Friday what we won't have is Sunny D, including the park. If it's a "soft" opening, it just very well may be GMX and Summit and possibly North Ridge. Saturday, it's looking like everything will be open. 100% is the plan. I'm guessing conditions will be pretty sweet over at Ellen.

But forget Ellen for the moment: conditions continue to be pretty sweet at Lincoln. For those who were out today, if you didn't make it to Heaven's Gate, you were missing out. It was like 3 different mountain weather zones out there: cold on the lower half, mid mountain had some fog, and the upper 2/3 of Heaven's Gate was basking in 40 degrees of an inversion, under a bluebird sky and soft snow. The conditions on Ripcord were sublime. I also found Upper OG and Spills to be VERY enjoyable as well. Worst visibility I found was over on the Valley House side. Snowball was like riding through the fog. But very enjoyable.

I've never seen a non-holiday weekday with so many people taking pics at the top of Heaven's Gate. I'll post one a bit later on, but it was quite the view, with the mountain peaks poking out beneath a sea of clouds and fog.
    Ditto on HG as the place to be yesterday. Snow was great as were the views!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418733108.895417.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418733128.416340.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418733170.637477.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418733631.123846.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418733642.491315.jpg
    Last edited by ReefBum; 12-16-2014 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    Skied hg before and after the outage Saturday. The visibility was nill. Worst I can recall. Benski said paradise was good. Didn't try going up there Sunday.
    The fog was only an issue on og and ripcord.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. My fault

what is falling from the sky?