Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Is the snow dense. The snow falling in the southern berkshires is so thick 6 inches was sufficient to make a base.

It's denser snow but it isn't soaking wet. I would say there is at least 10" to a foot and possibly more. Production was pretty decent on OG today. The only rough spot was at the bottom where OG meets Downspout. They put several guns on there around noon. Lower OG bumps were very firm this morning, but were starting to ski nicely by the end of the day with the natural. Should be a great weekend.

This mornings early mountain ski report is showing a foot at the base. They do not yet have storm totals for upper mountain. I will try to be up early tomorrow after celebrating Thanksgiving with our 18 guests down in the lowlands west of Boston. A wonderful Thanksgiving to all here, there and everywhere!
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

See you tomorrow Stan. There also may be a bit more snow tonight they are saying. From all accounts via some "soft" sampling, Upper OG is in great shape as of late yesterday.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

I'm stuck at the inlaws until after an early dinner. Save something for me for tomorrow.

It was nice to be skiing today but so much ice!? Skied for several hours all over and not a snowmaker on the hill to be found. One gun dry the next one so wet and on the only route down from DS and HG during the day? Quality checks and gun runs would be nice.

I saw some snowmakers on gondolier. They are putting so much snow on that trail it looks like it will be ready tomorrow. I found the conditions on jester to be great considering how much traffic it got and organ grinder to be fine other then the oddly shaped moguls and annoying wales.

Lower OG is an icy mess and overdue to be groomed

Quote Originally Posted by WWF-VT View Post
    Lower OG is an icy mess and overdue to be groomed
    what else is new?

Turns today should be real nice. Guns were shut off on Lower DS/Lower Jester/Coffee Run shortly after midnight and it was groomed out early this morning. Most of Lower OG ran throughout the night and is still lit as of now. Probably won't be groomed just yet... it needed another dosing to sustain it through the upcoming "brief" warmup and the amount of snow we had on it previously wasn't enough to permit grooming. I suspect soon enough it will be groomed, but should be fun today. Domino Chute also saw some love last night. Gondolier is still some time from opening but the snow is definitely piling up. Same goes for First Time.

All for now.... it's almost 9am and almost my bedtime!

We skied Saturday. We were late to the game, we got on the lift at 10:00. We took a run down Downspout, it was already skied off and terrifying, with sheets of ice separated by small piles of skiable snow here and there. Went right up to Heavens Gate, and did a few laps on Upper Jester which was in nice shape as usual, only one large ice patch midway. Beautiful and sunny and fun. But each trip on Downspout to get to the HG chair was harrowing. They seemed to be trying to get the guns going on Downspout, and some of the guns were making snow on the upper section, which helped a little. With nearly every skier on every run being funneled into that stretch of DS, it was a disaster, no fun.

We also did two runs on lower Organgrinder which was in nice shape, lots of bumps and snow. Guns going strong. Really fun. The little trip down Domino chute was a nightmare, typical dust on crust, skied off sheets of ice. Upper Organgrinder looked awesome, but our crew was not up to the challenge, but we heard many positive comments from others.

Service in CR Pub was good. The menu is improved. The food was better overall. Nachos were unimpressive. Prices are up a bit.

No lift problems that I was aware of.

Bottom line...it is no better or worse than last year.

Yes. Downspout is rough this time of year until more terrain gets open. Both Upper and Lower Grinder skied well. Shady Jay covered why it is not yet groomed. We have a bit of a roller coaster this week, but it doesn't look like we will lose a lot of what we have made. Our next move is over to Snowball and Spring Fling. With the new 10" diameter snowmaking pipe and the new HKD towers these trails will come in really fast so we hope you will be enjoying them next weekend.

Conditions were as expected for this time of year. Not a lot they can do when the temps swing and we have a few rain days in between. Not a bad job by the snowmakers so I rate the skiing as pretty good. I took some time to go around and check the consistency of the snow coming out of the new guns. They do crank out a good amount of snow but it still seems that they are having issues with getting the mix right as there were random guns still very wet and others not so bad. Not sure of the solution there.

These new guns are supposed to use less air which I will take that as word. Some of us equated that to mean that they would have more capacity to use more guns. But I guess if your main purpose for upgrading the guns is to save energy then you will not run more guns and eat into the savings. This is just a thought I had as I watched the operation this weekend. I also heard from a few sources that they are having issues with water this year because of the lack of precipitation this fall. I have not seen the river and the pond recently since I stopped mountain biking in the valley and started skiing. If this is actually the case then we will be in for a long winter.

Hawk, it is a bit more complicated than that. This time of year we are pushing to get as many guns running as possible and you can get to where you run out of air. I think it was friday when I was skiing Downspout and three towers had just come on. They were really wet so I called that in and we had to back off and shut them down. So much depends on the temperature and the humidity which can change rapidly. Our goal is not to save money this time of year. We want to run the maximum amount of water through the system whenever we can. Our savings come from doing just that and getting more snow made with the same power. There are conditions when it is cold that we can be maximizing the water through the system using fewer than the total compressors we have. Also while we invested in these new low energy snow towers and Snow Logic guns, we still have to use some of the older equipment on trails like Upper Jester and middle Jester and Lower Downspout. Since they are less efficient they require more air. Where you will see the real benefit of this summer's investment will be on trails like Snowball and Spring Fling. With the new 10" diameter pipe and the new HKD towers those trails can probably be skied in 36-48 hours of snowmaking. Ripcord, Organgrinder and Downspout also have benefitted. Over at ME you will see the benefit on trails like Rim Run, Cruiser, Which Way and North Star.

With respect to water, Our permit allows us to withdraw an unlimited amount of water from the Mad River into our snow making pond whenever the river is flowing at a specified level or higher. We try to keep it full. A couple of weeks ago, rivers in Vermont were really low, but the snowfall then melt and the rains recently have brought the rivers up. Our pond is currently full and ready to pump water later today when the cold returns. Over at ME we have two sources of water that are permitted. We pump from the pond near Inverness which is almost always full and from the Van loon stream by the Fayston school.

That is all good info Win. I was mainly talking about the new tower guns on lower organ grinder. Some were running really nice but a few were very wet. All in all it was good snow all the way down lower OG on Saturday. The new guns on upper OG look like they really sped up the process of getting the trail covered. From what I saw it only took 1-1/2 days. I guess we will really see what the system can do this week with a new main and new guns on Spring Fling. Watch out because people will want that as the standard once they see that product. I bet it will be the best snow on the hill. I didn't actually know that Precip in the valley was down this fall until I heard it on Friday. Hopefully this will be the last we hear of that.