Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122
    Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    I remember when I was young skiing at Stowe in temperatures like this. I was the only idiot so I did laps on the gondola. While my car started afterwards, the speedometer actually froze.
    I skied at Killington one day - it was 35 below (not including the wind chill factor) I think I wore a mitten on my lower extremity,.... still froze them off!

Hey Win. Was forwarded a link to one of those interview videos earlier today. You looked (and sounded) good! If anyone wanted to pick my brain today, I would have 'ranted' about the disservice the news media is doing by discouraging what once might have been considered your typical January skier from partaking in the product our Mountain team (and Vermont Ski Assoc.) works so hard to deliver. Yes, tomorrow's its own story. But, these past two days have been a lot of fun on groomed, snow making trails (plus the ungroomed Stein's and run(s) under Gate House lift) that skied very well. Plenty of elbow room; mid-day temps between 0-15, depending on where on the mountain you skied; winds not much of a factor prior to 1:30pm, today. I know of at least two friends who chose not to ski based on dramatized weather reports. My toes only needed one break for warm-up each day, while body and face were no colder than I'd expect, and prepared for. I think I'll post something on WCAX's website or facebook page, for starters. Anyone else you might suggest I comment to?

Quote Originally Posted by djd66 View Post
    I skied at Killington one day - it was 35 below (not including the wind chill factor) I think I wore a mitten on my lower extremity,.... still froze them off!
    Maybe some hot chills would have helped,

Pinnoke, Thank youo! Reviews by people like you are the best. The Weather People love to talk about the bad. That said it was cold yessterday and windier today but I will be out shortly.

DANG!!!!!!!!!!
    I have never seen such huge whales at SB.
    Skiing Downspout today felt like skiing on a whole other planet.
    Should be a great spring...

Kudos to the snowmakers + SB team. (dang, I sound like a cheerleader)
    Things are gonna happen for me, I'm Joe Dirt!

I have never seen them bigger either. The combination of the new HKDs, the cold and no wind made for ideal snowmaking conditions. Letting them sit to dry and will be grooming them out Friday night. This trail is really set up for spring.

I couldn't believe those piles either....and I helped make them! Best part of no wind is that the gun and hoses don't get buried. The towers on Downspout and Ripcord got pretty buried, though.

You could barely see the hg lift from the webcam there was so much snow. Groomers got some work to do tonight.

Any chance there is enough base on castlerock to groom it?

Thanks win for not updating the webcam over night!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Howie, not enough yet. Looks like we are going to get some accumulation tomorrow night though.

Quote Originally Posted by Njski View Post
    Heavens Gate is down on maintenance delay on another prime Saturday.

Reality is defined by cause and effect relationships overlaid with random occurrence. In the short run, one cannot easily separate out the random events from those driven by the structured patterns that are governed by cause and effect. However, as maintenance issues continue to accumulate with regularity, it is beginning to stretch credulity that those maintenance issues are "unlucky" random occurrences. The breakdowns increasingly appear to be a pattern that is the result of real underlying root causes. No one should be under the illusion that things will get better until those root causes are identified and remediated. I am hopeful that management is not under that illusion.
    In the latest installment of the Lift Breakdown Chronicles, the GMX has, by not rotating, rotated into the lead role of dysfunctional protagonist in a dystopian tale in which the snowy, idyllic paradise with the enticing imperative "Be Better Here" is incrementally revealed to be a sinister Bermuda Triangle of sorts where machinery inexplicably defies servile obedience to maintenance schedules and, by extension, the laws of physics, man, and God.

Or, just maybe, the maintenance isn't as good as advertised.

Brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by Orca View Post
    In the latest installment of the Lift Breakdown Chronicles, the GMX has, by not rotating, rotated into the lead role of dysfunctional protagonist in a dystopian tale in which the snowy, idyllic paradise with the enticing imperative "Be Better Here" is incrementally revealed to be a sinister Bermuda Triangle of sorts where machinery inexplicably defies servile obedience to maintenance schedules and, by extension, the laws of physics, man, and God.

Or, just maybe, the maintenance isn't as good as advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by ducky View Post
    Brilliant!
    Nice post. There was a bug in the program that was automatically slowing the lift. Poma has to do reprogramming on something like this. They were at Killington all day yesterday dealing eith a lift issue there so only got here this am. Delayed but should be running and they will stay for a few hours to watch it.

You did not mention Castlerock but that was down. The cold weather and wind on Saturday created a misalignment on a tower.
    That too should be fixed soon.

Just got home from the mtn, where my lift did not run today due to the cold temps (Slide Brook). It hasn't been above +5 at the terminals of Slide Brook in several days, hence why it hasn't run. But I did get out for a few runs after my shift and it was most excellent. I did notice the chalkboards saying Castlerock had reopened. This weather as of late has been taking its toll on the lifts and those that work on them/operate them. If it was 20 degrees, it'd be a different story.

Inverness was running today so that GMX terrain could be 100% accessed. Yes, Inverness is a long slow lift ride but, to the Mt Ellen rider/skier "in the know", it would only take one ride on the "I" to get to where the goods are off of NRE. Summit went down as well, but that was wind-related. Plus, for those on the "I", its a good chance to sample some of the great trails off of it that normally get overlooked midweek, including Semi-Tough and Brambles, without the need for the long traverse on Northway.