Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Why isn't lower paradise open yet and why is gatehouse not opening tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess on the Gate House side: still waiting to push out the piles from the snow we made on Pushover, Sugarbear Road, Easy Rider, etc. Piles need some cure time before pushing out. As of last check (Monday night), some piles on Sugarbear Road were in the 10-20' high range. Not easy for beginners to get by, let alone anyone (or anything) else for that matter. Since Gate House is the primary beginner area, you want that groomed before opening.

Plenty of other terrain open, however. The Rock opens at 10am tomorrow. Everything on Bravo side open.

Quote Originally Posted by Benski View Post
    Why isn't lower paradise open yet and why is gatehouse not opening tomorrow.

You're asking why no Gate House opening while the SB web site says Castle Rock chair is planned to open tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by WWF-VT View Post
    You're asking why no Gate House opening while the SB web site says Castle Rock chair is planned to open tomorrow?
    Yes. It seemed a little odd. Thanks Jay for the explanation.

Snow report anyone?

Entire mountain and village lost power between 4:30 and 7:30pm on Wed night after several late afternoon surges. Was watching the sky light up red, green, white, orange, red. Very heavy snow.

Gonna try to make my season debut tomorrow before work... yes, I'm running VERY late this year!

10" sweet

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    10" sweet

+1,... or should I say +12,... skiing will be fricken awesome this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by djd66 View Post
    +1,... or should I say +12,... skiing will be fricken awesome this weekend!
    What, what, what, what
    What, what, what, what
    What, what, what, what
    What, what, what, what
    What, what, what, what
    What, what, what, what
    What, what, what, what
    What, what, what, what

I'm gonna pop some tags
    Only got twenty dollars in my pocket
    I - I - I'm hunting, looking for a come-up
    This is fucking awesome

The grass on the hill behind the lodge is gone. That is a beautiful sight.

and this from today's BTV AFD

ROKEN RECORD FORECAST THEN CONTINUE INTO FRIDAY/FRIDAY NIGHT AS
    UPPER LOW CENTER GRADUALLY DROPS SOUTH AND EAST OFFSHORE WITH MOIST
    NORTHWESTERLY FLOW REMAINING ATOP THE REGION FOSTERING SCT/NUMEROUS
    SHSN ACROSS THE NRN/NRN MTNS. COVERAGE WILL TEND TO BECOME MORE TIED
    TO THE TERRAIN OVER TIME WITH GRADUAL DRYING EXPECTED IN THE LOWER
    ELEVATIONS. WHILE ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE RELATIVELY LIGHT IN ANY
    GIVEN 12-HR FORECAST PERIOD...I WOULDN`T BE SURPRISED TO SEE
    ADDITIONAL 3-DAY TOTALS ACROSS THE NRN MTNS IN THE 6-12 INCH
    RANGE...2-5 INCHES IN THE NRN VALLEYS...AND TRACE TO 2 INCHES IN THE
    SOUTHERN VALLEYS. TEMPERATURES REMAIN SEASONALLY COOL AND UNIFORM
    FRI/FRI NT WITH HIGHS/LOWS VERY SIMILAR TO TODAY/TONIGHT.

South Villager, I think your question was answered. We did groom Snowball and Spring Fling before the snow but it will need to be winched with all that is on it. Will do by the weekend. The piles are let to dry before grooming. If you do it too soon it will be boiler plate for the season.

Gatehouse is opening tomorrow and Castlerock did open today and 10am. We schedule the GH lift to open this weekend and that is how maintenance is scheduled and how the upgrade work was scheduled as well. All is complete and lift is being inspected by the State today. We are looking to see 100% open at LP this weekend. It should be a great opening at ME next Friday as well.

Looks like we will continue to get a bit of snow into Saturday and temps are a bit cooler so the snow is lighter. The human grooming yesterday also helped a lot.

Will 100% include village double chair sat? My daughter wants a couple runs there to remember how to ski. Otherwise I might have trouble getting her out

Will the valley floor bus be available to pick up at the bottom of slidebrook. Going to be a sick weekend.

First hand report from my first day out of the season:

WOW.... that's all I have to say... WOW

Didn't make it to Castlerock or even Heaven's Gate, as I felt content with all the terrain open off Bravo. First run was Downspout to get back into the groove. Felt confident for Birdland and Lower Birdland. Lower Birdland was sublime. Nary a waterbar or a rock to be found. Confidence was high at that point. Murphy's next. Same thing, although a spot or two I think I did "hit bottom". Domino was perfect. Stein's was even better. Snowball/Fling was a dream. Only waterbar I found was at the bottom of Racer's Edge. Lots of happy faces and smiles all around today. No bad terrain out there anywhere. For this time of year, coverage is excellent. Snow that fell last night (10") was a LOT lighter than Tuesday night's. Needless to say, I think we came away with quite the net gain that has set up the natural trails with a good base (that heavy wet snow) and the 10" on top of that led to a mid-winter condition feel out there.

That should be incentive enough, for those having any doubts on coming up this weekend.

And since the buses are all running (except Mt Ellen shuttle, but I think the Valley floor bus does stop there), I don't see why they wouldn't pick anyone up "along the route".