Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Valley House going to spin this weekend?

Looking good as Hawk says. But I am in Florida visiting with my 88 year old mother. I should know never to book a trip if JR has alao booked one. It always snows when he is away.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

"Soft" opening for Mt Ellen this weekend for pass holders?

Tin,

The ASC plan doesn't make sense but there are other ways to increase water flow in the future. It will take some serious investment but less than the ASC plan. The Low Energy guns have enabled this. Essentially it is expanding the diameter of certain existing pipe and getting more booster pumps. Air is no longer the constraint. The perfect example is Snowball and Spring Flng where we put in new 10" diameter pipe this summer. This in combination with the HKD towers had the trails open after 36 hours of snow making.

By the way, the trail at the bottom of Spillsville is not an official trail on the map but one we refer to as Route 21. Route 22 is the one between Upper Griner and Upper Jesster.

Fingers crossed it will be all snow like last weekend.

May open Valley House chair this weekend since the Lodge and Wunderbar will be open. . We'll decide tomorrow based on available staffing. The lift is ready to go.

The crossover road from Spills is called 21 as in Tower 21 of the gondola. The agreement Claneil made to get the Mad River water states no connection of the systems can be made. Skiing on trails with active snowmaking is tough as there are few truly dry guns running and the trails that are done are hard as a rock. Wet storm/sleet will aloe some more trails to open which is good. Cold beer is good also.

Whoever raised the point of this being an "El Nino" winter is technically correct but the implication is way off. What I mean is a typical El Nino winter is warm in the East with lots of back and forth, where the warm ups are very warm. The El Nino this year is weak at best, and a "Modoki" El Nino, which means the central pac zones are warmer than the area just off of South America. Modoki El Nino's have tended to be COLD in the East. Most of the analogs based on sea surface temperatures and other large scale/tele connection factors point to a colder than normal winter. The El Nino, as it is, may energize the southern jet, and hence forecasts for more snow too. As we have seen, the southern jet is active.

As for this week, I think the 'Bush will see some mix or even a brief change. But it will be after a significant dump and will be a major base builder. And then it should change back to snow and create a post-base-building powder day where just about everything is in play.

Enjoy.

And THINK SNOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Howie, your storm is looking pretty juicy. Looks like the temps will go up a little in the middle so we might get some sleety stuff. Definitely good for base building and filling in the cracks. On top of the stuff we already have, this will open up a bunch of stuff if this last weekend was any indication.

Didn't see you at the Sugar Bash. Big fun!
    Wasn't up this past weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by win View Post
    Tin,

The ASC plan doesn't make sense but there are other ways to increase water flow in the future. It will take some serious investment but less than the ASC plan. The Low Energy guns have enabled this. Essentially it is expanding the diameter of certain existing pipe and getting more booster pumps. Air is no longer the constraint. The perfect example is Snowball and Spring Flng where we put in new 10" diameter pipe this summer. This in combination with the HKD towers had the trails open after 36 hours of snow making.

By the way, the trail at the bottom of Spillsville is not an official trail on the map but one we refer to as Route 21. Route 22 is the one between Upper Griner and Upper Jesster.

Fingers crossed it will be all snow like last weekend.

May open Valley House chair this weekend since the Lodge and Wunderbar will be open. . We'll decide tomorrow based on available staffing. The lift is ready to go.
    By expanding the diameter of certain pipes, I assume you are referring to pipes on the mtn, since you recently replaced the pipes from the pond up to the mtn, no???
    If that's the case, that would seem to be significantly easier and cheaper than connecting the 2 systems, not to mention actually increasing overall capacity as opposed to sharing it.
    Are there legal restrictions or permitting necessary to increase the flow?

Hey hawk, you're in construction, you know anyone who can hook win up with some good quality 10" diameter pipe, cheap, pronto?

Given the limitations of snowmaking between both mountains early season. I was wondering when the valley house chair gets replaced if it would make sense to concentrate the early snowmaking on the super bravo and valley house side to increase trail count and get people on more trails early season. Then move to the upper mountain where there is limited terrain and a funnel into deathspout Just a thought....

Quote Originally Posted by angler View Post
    Given the limitations of snowmaking between both mountains early season. I was wondering when the valley house chair gets replaced if it would make sense to concentrate the early snowmaking on the super bravo and valley house side to increase trail count and get people on more trails early season. Then move to the upper mountain where there is limited terrain and a funnel into deathspout Just a thought....
    higher elevation=colder temperature=better snowmaking conditions=less snow lost during thaws. Other than that your idea only changes were the snow is made.

Quote Originally Posted by Benski View Post
    higher elevation=colder temperature=better snowmaking conditions=less snow lost during thaws. Other than that your idea only changes were the snow is made.
    Not really, it opens more terrain and gives people more then one way down. I get the higher elevation but it gets old quickly when you only have a couple of trails open plus it gets icy early on. Anyway this is the time of year that the mountain falls behind the other mountains on trail count. They need to figure it out.

I agree with Angler, Downspout to lower Downpsout to Coffee Run is not Sugarbush's best run. Back when there was a chair on Spring Fling, I think there was early skiing on that side. Racers edge and Spring Fling would be a great early option, and being wider trails than Deathspout, should hold up past 10AM on a busy day. My memories from the 80s is fuzzy, I think Spring Fling was also open late in the season with deep man-made. I need a hot tub time machine to know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by southvillager View Post
    I agree with Angler, Downspout to lower Downpsout to Coffee Run is not Sugarbush's best run. Back when there was a chair on Spring Fling, I think there was early skiing on that side. Racers edge and Spring Fling would be a great early option, and being wider trails than Deathspout, should hold up past 10AM on a busy day. My memories from the 80s is fuzzy, I think Spring Fling was also open late in the season with deep man-made. I need a hot tub time machine to know for sure.
    Hence the name "spring fling"?

Come on guys. Skiing is great! Mother nature is coming. We will all forget about this rough patch next week. I love downspout. Super good corduroy on that sucka. Keep the faith and we will be rewarded! Here at sugarbush we get snow from heaven not hoses. Oh, that's Targee. Sorry. Well maybe we should change our slogan.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Yay Stan!!!!! Now that is some positive stoke.
    Awesome Dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by gostan View Post
    Looking good as Hawk says. But I am in Florida visiting with my 88 year old mother. I should know never to book a trip if JR has alao booked one. It always snows when he is away.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!