Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 329
  1. #76
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Behind That Tree
    Posts
    1,627
    Quote Originally Posted by win View Post
    We are about 6 million total at LP and ME. It is not true that air in the limiting capacity any more with the new low energy guns That used to be the case and why diesel generators were needed early in the season. We have been running near Max water at LP past few days which we have never done this time of year. When it gets colder we can actually use less than the three compressors and max out on water. You can see how fast Snowball and Spring Fling came in. We have a couple of fan guns and they get moved around.
    That's interesting. Great to see.

    Is it safe to assume that the ASC era plan of connecting the systems to leverage the full capacity of air/water as needed is off the table now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    No it won't. el nino winter dude. Cold followed by warm followed by cold. You'll see.
    Hawk knows his weather patterns - this is pretty much the pattern to expect in a year like this. Back end of year should be fun though if history is any guide.

  2. #77

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    warren
    Posts
    1,217
    Tin,

    You are correct. That plan wouldn't make sense today.

    Paradise extension was closed today,

    I wasn't clear in last post. We have a bit over 6,000 GPM (gallons per minute) capacity cumulatively at LP and ME or approximately 8.6 million per day.

    Hawk may be correct but as we saw yesterday a degree or two can make a huge difference. We were expecting sleet and rain in between the snow and it stayed snow all day. The forecast to next week is looking a bit better today too.

  3. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    No it won't. el nino winter dude. Cold followed by warm followed by cold. You'll see.
    Ok Debbie downer. I'm psyched to count snow in feet not inches.

  4. #79
    Seriously dude,... You got to give it a rest.

  5. #80
    Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Just ahead of you in the woods....
    Posts
    1,823
    Give what a rest. My Opinion? Not a chance. It appears that most people on here have no idea what good snowmaking is because they have not experienced it. I have personally working in the industry and have seen a great operation do it's thing. Hey SB has done a good job so far. The little engine that could. They blow a couple of trails at a time and seem to have found the happy place with the system, i.e. not that many wet guns. But what I will not do is look through the rosey colored glasses that you guys do and say "everything is great", "nothing to see here". Compliments get handed out with the job well done, criticism gets hands out also, when it is valid. I do not have any criticism based on how they have handled this year so far. Nice job. But there are lots of factors coming into play this year as is the case in many years. Power, water, costs, weather, whatever. And when the huge temp swings happen as they do in many el nino years, what will be the response. I had enough of the hard icy conditions from last year. We will see. That is all I am saying.

    I just want the best conditions for my money!!!!
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still donít see!

  6. #81
    Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Just ahead of you in the woods....
    Posts
    1,823
    Yes Paradise extension was closed. They put up a rope at the bottom of spills and diverted everybody Across that upper cat track. I do not think it has a name but it is that first traverse that you hit when you ski the woods on the right of Spills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benski View Post
    Upper Domino Murphy's bird land and spills are open. Is paradise ext closed or is that a mistake.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still donít see!

  7. #82
    Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Just ahead of you in the woods....
    Posts
    1,823
    Howie, your storm is looking pretty juicy. Looks like the temps will go up a little in the middle so we might get some sleety stuff. Definitely good for base building and filling in the cracks. On top of the stuff we already have, this will open up a bunch of stuff if this last weekend was any indication.

    Didn't see you at the Sugar Bash. Big fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    The early season snowmaking talk will die off if things go our way with this midweek system. Start the snow dance.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still donít see!

  8. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Give what a rest. My Opinion? Not a chance. It appears that most people on here have no idea what good snowmaking is because they have not experienced it. I have personally working in the industry and have seen a great operation do it's thing. Hey SB has done a good job so far. The little engine that could. They blow a couple of trails at a time and seem to have found the happy place with the system, i.e. not that many wet guns. But what I will not do is look through the rosey colored glasses that you guys do and say "everything is great", "nothing to see here". Compliments get handed out with the job well done, criticism gets hands out also, when it is valid. I do not have any criticism based on how they have handled this year so far. Nice job. But there are lots of factors coming into play this year as is the case in many years. Power, water, costs, weather, whatever. And when the huge temp swings happen as they do in many el nino years, what will be the response. I had enough of the hard icy conditions from last year. We will see. That is all I am saying.

    I just want the best conditions for my money!!!!
    No one said anything, good bad or indifferent about the snowmaking or your opinion of it. I was just optimistically looking forward to the storm, and u were kind of bah humbug about it. You've been kind of glass half empty. Cheer up, bro. I'm not foolish enough to think we r not going to see some challenging weather conditions this winter, but I don't want to get down about it.

  9. #84
    Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Just ahead of you in the woods....
    Posts
    1,823
    That was not directed at you dude. I know where your at. And just for fun I think I might have to react like some of the people on here. Stay tuned.

    Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    No one said anything, good bad or indifferent about the snowmaking or your opinion of it. I was just optimistically looking forward to the storm, and u were kind of bah humbug about it. You've been kind of glass half empty. Cheer up, bro. I'm not foolish enough to think we r not going to see some challenging weather conditions this winter, but I don't want to get down about it.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still donít see!

  10. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by win View Post
    Tin,

    You are correct. That plan wouldn't make sense today.

    Paradise extension was closed today,

    I wasn't clear in last post. We have a bit over 6,000 GPM (gallons per minute) capacity cumulatively at LP and ME or approximately 8.6 million per day.

    Hawk may be correct but as we saw yesterday a degree or two can make a huge difference. We were expecting sleet and rain in between the snow and it stayed snow all day. The forecast to next week is looking a bit better today too.
    6k GPM is pretty good capacity, more than I thought. What I always forget is that a good portion of that capacity is at ME where you have no plans (rightfully so) to open before mid December. Therefore, all that Nov/early Dec snow making is going on to be bottled up and unleashed all at once on Dec 20. It makes it tough for the early season trail count game.

  11. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Give what a rest. My Opinion? Not a chance. It appears that most people on here have no idea what good snowmaking is because they have not experienced it. I have personally working in the industry and have seen a great operation do it's thing. Hey SB has done a good job so far. The little engine that could. They blow a couple of trails at a time and seem to have found the happy place with the system, i.e. not that many wet guns. But what I will not do is look through the rosey colored glasses that you guys do and say "everything is great", "nothing to see here". Compliments get handed out with the job well done, criticism gets hands out also, when it is valid. I do not have any criticism based on how they have handled this year so far. Nice job. But there are lots of factors coming into play this year as is the case in many years. Power, water, costs, weather, whatever. And when the huge temp swings happen as they do in many el nino years, what will be the response. I had enough of the hard icy conditions from last year. We will see. That is all I am saying.

    I just want the best conditions for my money!!!!
    Hawk -

    You seriously have to take a chill pill. Yes, I wear rosey colored glassed and my glass isnt half full - its over flowing! To be honest - I rarely comment on this board anymore - as it has become a joke of people bitching about basically everything. Is everything perfect? No - but if you think Killington has a better product - I would say you go ski there for a season. We have a storm coming that could make the skiing great - and all you do is go comment about how this year is going to be a shitty winter because of the so called elnino effect.

  12. #87
    Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Just ahead of you in the woods....
    Posts
    1,823
    Your right. Everything is great. I must take a pill. There is no way we could do better. We are perfect now. How foolish of me. Carry on. Sorry.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still donít see!

  13. #88

  14. #89
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Behind That Tree
    Posts
    1,627
    Quote Originally Posted by random_ski_guy View Post
    6k GPM is pretty good capacity, more than I thought. What I always forget is that a good portion of that capacity is at ME where you have no plans (rightfully so) to open before mid December. Therefore, all that Nov/early Dec snow making is going on to be bottled up and unleashed all at once on Dec 20. It makes it tough for the early season trail count game.
    This pretty much nails it. 6K GPM would get them into, if not the big leagues, then at least a reasonable facsimile of same. The problem is that the 6k figure is pretty much mythical in that it is actually the combined sum of two completely separate systems at LP and ME. So when the rubber hits the road in the early season or after a thaw/freeze cycle, they can't focus on certain areas as needed and instead have to do the best they can with two, relatively small (for a resort its size) systems.



    I guess I'll take Win's word for it that such an investment would no longer make sense. I'm not close enough to the numbers to have an informed perspective either way, though the output gap seems pretty stark outside in.

  15. #90
    Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Just ahead of you in the woods....
    Posts
    1,823
    Tinny, who needs numbers? We are all set!!! Mother nature is going to hook us up! We are good. Perfect in fact so stop stressing. I am going to do a little dance in my ulr costume and sprinkle some pixie dust and then in will snow. No need for snow making. Just chill doooood!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman View Post
    This pretty much nails it. 6K GPM would get them into, if not the big leagues, then at least a reasonable facsimile of same. The problem is that the 6k figure is pretty much mythical in that it is actually the combined sum of two completely separate systems at LP and ME. So when the rubber hits the road in the early season or after a thaw/freeze cycle, they can't focus on certain areas as needed and instead have to do the best they can with two, relatively small (for a resort its size) systems.

    I guess I'll take Win's word for it that such an investment would no longer make sense. I'm not close enough to the numbers to have an informed perspective either way, though the output gap seems pretty stark outside in.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still donít see!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Ski Gear | Snowboard Gear | Cycling Gear | Camping/Hiking Gear | Ski & Snowboard Racks | Gear Outlet | Men's Clothing | Women's Clothing | Kids' Clothing

Ski Vermont | Whiteface / Gore Message Boards