Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

We had a very good opening day. Mostly SP holders as is the norm this time of year and more than last year. The Quad Pack at $219 is $54.75 per day and they were used yesterday.

Warm temperatures for the second day of the season produced much softer conditions on what was open than yesterday's colder and icy Domino Chutes experience. If only my quads could have kept going all day today. Very happy to already have 2 more days in than last year.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Quote Originally Posted by gostan View Post
    Warm temperatures for the second day of the season produced much softer conditions on what was open than yesterday's colder and icy Domino Chutes experience. If only my quads could have kept going all day today. Very happy to already have 2 more days in than last year.
    Good to hear! Gonna be a big big winter. U deserve it.

Hi, Win. Really glad to have you as a participant in the conversation!

Quad packs are great and your endeavors to grow the SB ski community are terrific. Thank you for investing in this fabulous thing that so many of us love. Sometimes our passion and love for SB clouds the fundamental perspective that you run a business — you do, and there are attendant economic realities that we consumers don't always fully appreciate.

I posted the K Costco offering as an option for consumers and as comparative alternative product for the greater ski community. Your point that Quad packs are a substantial value is appreciated. Maybe my posting raises questions about how to extend the reach of the SB product through new sales outlets. If so, all the better.

We here love Sugarbush as you do, but there are concerns that we consumers might reasonably bring up for discussion. The first, I’d venture is a lack of capital investment in the ski area's physical plant as compared to the other “bigs” in the northern New England states.

The two biggest areas each of Maine (SR and SL), New Hampshire (Loon and Cannon), and Vermont (K and Stowe) have installed 15 lifts since the the installation of the last new SB lift, the GMX in 2002-3. (Sorry, but the GMVS T-bar doesn't count.) Over half these lifts are high-speed offerings. That is an average of 2. 5 lifts per area. SB is just simply behind and the product shows it.

When folks get the sense that residential real estate is the focus, how can you blame them? We hear lots about Clay Brook and Rice Brook and now Gadd Brook, but where are the capital improvements that are available to the 99%? Maybe that is why people get the the notion that your are a real estate developer running a ski area as its catalyst.

Regardless, you run a business that is of keen interest to us devotees of the Mad River valley and its natural graces. Please know that we want the best for SB and vehemently root for the success of SB through your agency.

Count as an asset how much people care about your operation and your product.

Hoping for an AMAZING 2014-15 ski season!!!
    Last edited by Orca; 11-24-2014 at 10:34 AM.

Hi Orca

My reply did not post so I will try again. Thanks for you comments. Let me clarify one thing about real estate. 40 EB-5 individuals invested $20 million in Sugarbush. this was used primarily for improvements in the mountain. Funds we used to the expansion of the Gatehouse, the Farmhouse, the School House, snowmaking improvements and numerous other capital expenditures these past seven years. A portion was used to pay off the balance of the construction mortgage on Clay Brook. Any and all profits from the sale of CB units and Rice Brook and Gadd Brook go to the EB-5 investors and we received nothing until the 40 investors are paid. So far 10 of the 40 have been redeemed and we have a moral obligations to get them as much of their money as possible. They are at risk and the real estate market as you know was dead after 2007/2008 so they have been patiently awaiting a return.

As I have mentioned in previous communications since purchasing the resorts we have invested over $50 of equity in the resort. This does include the new GMVS express and Castlerock Chair but no the T-Bar. GMVS paid for that. In the past five years alone over $ 5million was invested in snowmaking improvements. Some like the new 351 guns are visible put new pipe like that from the Mad River Pond up the access road and from Van Loon to Mount Ellen and the new piple up Snowball and Spring Fling are not but equally important as are rebuilds of the motors and pumps. Out snowmaking system is in excellent shape now after years of deferred maintenance.

As far as the lift go, the $1.1 million we invested this summer has essentially rebuilt the electric systems at Heaven's Gate and Northridge as well as putting new drives in them and new communication lines. The new lift we are planning for is to replace Valley House and we are proceeding with the permitting of that.

Hope this helps. Have a great winter.

Just not quite far enough North

Happy day before Thanksgiving Storm. Just not quite far enough north to get the brunt of this storm.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gostan; 11-25-2014 at 08:37 AM.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Our guy this morning was savaing 5-8. Hopefully more! But cold temperatures are returning.

This is a good resource... http://www.weather.gov/btv/stormtotalsnow

Good to see that lift and trail report showing snowmaking on Upper Jester and Upper Organgrinder this morning. It will be good to ski something a little steeper this weekend. Nice 3 day stint coming up.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

blowing

very nice to see
    Attached Images Attached Images

woot! blowin' snow over at north?

web cams are looking a lot better over the past 2 hours.

4" at my office at 3:30pm. Hoping to get 8-10" or possibly more by morning. If we do Upper organgrinder should be skiing. Will be blowing all night.

At ME we are blowing on FIS and Rim Run down past the fllats. A bit too warm to go lower until maybe Thrusday night or Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoore View Post
    very nice to see
    nice to see them hitting OG and Jester hard simultaneously. IIRC, that has been difficult for them in the past.

Tomorrow is going to be a heck of a day. Enjoy fellas. Happy holidays.

How much is down?